Grand Prix Final: Mens SP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final: Mens SP

seniorita

Record Breaker
If i listen again about Evgeni being overscored I will flip. Yes he is but now he lost the privillege of one and only.
Can score break 100?:cool:
I would put weir second and oda third or the other way around.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Well, yes, that comes from skating earlier. He is "lower ranked" at the moment.

Although, objectively, Johnny's program isn't quite as crowd-pleasing.

jcoates

Medalist
Remember it's not just the jumps that count.

Evan and Takahashi likely both got at least one step sequence credited with level 4 in order for their scores to jump up so much.

I don't think Johnny has ever gotten level 4 steps credited.

There may have been a difference in spin levels as well.

Looking at their PCS, the judges tied Even and Taka overall, but split the difference within them on, I believe relatively fair bases.

Taka won Skating Skills and Performance and Evan won Transitions, Choreography and Interpretation.

Taka won TES by .10.

While Taka had the best excitement factor out there, Evan did make a point of holding out his landings and was far sharper in his projection than his previous outings this season.

Skating to a familiar piece of music probably also helped to bring across the choreography and interpretation a bit better than a less familiar piece like Johnny's.

schiele

Final Flight
Oh, Im just furious with the results, there are simply no words for it.. Poor poor Oda, always getting lower PSC although he is clearly better.. I feel even if Jeremy and Verner skated clean they wouldn't have gotten much higher placements.. This is soo infuriating, I wanna go there and throw rotten tomatos at all the judges.. It has finally gotten to me too!

herios

Medalist
why did johnny only score 84? when his jumps were i think just as good as the others if not better...and his program was as solid as the others.

anyone have any ideas?

Johnny`s step sequences are not as complex as Evan`s or Dai`s. Not even close. The score is fair for him.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Mens SP records

Name Nat. Event Date Score
1 Evgeni PLUSHENKO RUS XX Olympic Winter Games 2006 2006.02.26 90.66
2 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN ISU Grand Prix Final 2009/2010 2009.12.04 89.95
3 Evan LYSACEK USA ISU Grand Prix Final 2009/2010 2009.12.04 89.85

4 Patrick CHAN CAN Four Continents Championships 2009 2009.02.05 88.90
5 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN Four Continents Championships 2008 2008.02.17 88.57
6 Nobunari ODA JPN ISU Grand Prix Final 2009/2010 2009.12.04 87.65
7 Evgeni PLUSHENKO RUS Cup of Russia 2005 2005.11.27 87.20
8 Brian JOUBERT FRA European Championships 2009 2009.01.25 86.90
9 Brian JOUBERT FRA Cup of Russia 2008 2008.11.23 86.10
10 Brian JOUBERT FRA NHK Trophy 2009 2009.11.06 85.35
11 Johnny WEIR USA ISU Grand Prix Final 2009/2010 2009.12.04 84.60
12 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN NHK Trophy 2006 2006.12.03 84.44
13 Brian JOUBERT FRA World Championships 2009 2009.03.25 84.40
14 Evgeni PLUSHENKO RUS ISU Grand Prix Final 2004/2005 2004.12.19 84.35
15 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN ISU Grand Prix Final 2007/2008 2007.12.16 84.20
16 Evan LYSACEK USA Four Continents Championships 2008 2008.02.17 84.06

oleada

Record Breaker
Oh, Im just furious with the results, there are simply no words for it.. Poor poor Oda, always getting lower PSC although he is clearly better.. I feel even if Jeremy and Verner skated clean they wouldn't have gotten much higher placements.. This is soo infuriating, I wanna go there and throw rotten tomatos at all the judges.. It has finally gotten to me too!

Honestly, Oda deserved much lower PCS than Takahashi and Lysacek. I love his LP, but the Sp is pretty generic and not every exciting. He has good skating skills, but not much in the way of transition, intepretation and performance for this particular outing.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Jeremy would have deserved 2nd place if he had skated cleanly.

I am 99% sure the judges would have placed him 6th, though.

His program and performance is far more subtle than everyone else, which is something people simply don't understand (at least most judges, in any case).

Kinga

Medalist
I feel even if Jeremy and Verner skated clean they wouldn't have gotten much higher placements.. This is soo infuriating, I wanna go there and throw rotten tomatos at all the judges.. It has finally gotten to me too!

I fear that too!! Jeremy's programs are wonderful in all aspects, and even íf he skates clean I don't see him scoring as high as Evan or Daisuke.. And that is sad...

gracefulswan

On the Ice
Looks on par for Plushenko's world record 2006 Olympic short program to be broken in a few months..... Now who will be that lucky guy, I haven't a clue.... (Takahashi? Lysacek? Plushenko himself? Lambiel? Chan? Joubert?) :laugh:

Who will reach 95 first?

oleada

Record Breaker
I'm just really annoyed at Daisuke having the same PCS as Lysacek when he was so much better. :laugh:

schiele

Final Flight

His program and performance is far more subtle than everyone else, which is something people simply don't understand (at least most judges, in any case).

Yep, Im pretty sure Verner and Jeremy would be at the bottom as 5 and 6..
I know Oda's PCS shoudl be lower than Dai but he had the cleanest landings I've seen tonight, probably he did not get enough credit for that. Besides, there is nothing wrong with his SS, TR or IN.. Anyway, tomorrow hopefully I'll get to avenge! :laugh::laugh:

herios

Medalist
Honestly, Oda deserved much lower PCS than Takahashi and Lysacek. I love his LP, but the Sp is pretty generic and not every exciting. He has good skating skills, but not much in the way of transition, intepretation and performance for this particular outing.

I agree with you. The judges got it right. Oda excells in the jumping sector. He could have a better choreo and more transitions. The complexity of Evan`s and Dai`s sets them apart here. Johnny`s landings are great, but his spins are not fast enough and step sequences complex enough. He skates also slower as well. At this level you have to split hairs.

luvsasha

Final Flight

Jeremy is a more subtle skater, which I suppose doesn't bring in the crowd as much. However, sometimes I think a subtle style can be harder than just playing to the crowd (I'm not saying that anybody did that today).
His LP is also very subtle, but I love it to death

I think that some people have trouble getting into a more subtle performance, and I think that's partly why people are not as found of Yu Na's LP (which I also like). but i guess that's another thread...

herios

Medalist
I fear that too!! Jeremy's programs are wonderful in all aspects, and even íf he skates clean I don't see him scoring as high as Evan or Daisuke.. And that is sad...

Let`s leave the if`s for next time when he skates clean. I am seeing him scoring very high for his programs. He got great marks at NHK for this program. I am dissapointed because he is my number 1 favorite for of his musicality and artistry. But this was not his night.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I agree with you. The judges got it right. Oda excells in the jumping sector. He could have a better choreo and more transitions. The complexity of Evan`s and Dai`s sets them apart here. Johnny`s landings are great, but his spins are not fast enough and step sequences complex enough. He skates also slower as well. At this level you have to split hairs.

Thanks for all the comments - and thanks for explaining why Johnny lags behind some of the of the others :yes:

seniorita

Record Breaker
From skate canada and skate america Tes score of taka and lysacek is up ten points! I dont remember what they did there though..how much Goe they got now?

jcoates

Medalist
Evan's 3a was downgraded in his SP at SA and IIRC both his step sequences were level 3 there. So the increase in points works out if everything went up a level.