Grand Prix Final: Ladies SP | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final: Ladies SP

i love to skate

Medalist
But judges can't. I think that's what the op meant.

Yes they can. Depends on the event.

I didn't know that, and I assumed that they didn't have that kind of technology available to them. Otherwise, the judges could really put our minds to ease in regards to suspicious calls like Yu-Na's 3T being downgraded and other skaters like Mirai. Sadly, many a time there seems to be inconsistencies; I wonder why this is so if the judges have the ability to watch jumps over and over to check for edge calls and downgrades. :frown2:

It is not the judges responsibility to downgrade a jump or to watch for edge calls - the only person who can downgrade a jump is a person on the technical panel. A judges job is to assign GOEs and the PCS.

Nadia01

Final Flight
It has been said by very fair posters on this board that her 3T should not have received the downgrade that it did.

But the tech caller downgraded it, so the result is that she is now in the second place. If she hadn't been DG for it, she would've beaten Miki's SP.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what we say here. What matters is what the judges (and tech callers) think.

I do not agree w/ the 3T downgrade b/c I don't think it was UR, but that doesnt' change the result. :(

Last edited:

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
It is not the judges responsibility to downgrade a jump or to watch for edge calls - the only person who can downgrade a jump is a person on the technical panel. A judges job is to assign GOEs and the PCS.

Sorry, I am not that familiar with figure skating but with semantics aside, can you please tell me why on earth there are such inconsistencies in handing out DG's and edge calls if the technical panel can review a skater's jumps?

evangeline

Record Breaker
It has been said by very fair posters on this board that her 3T should not have received the downgrade that it did.

I didn't think Yu-Na's 3T was under-rotated either, but I will give the technical caller the benefit of the doubt because I realize that I (along with most posters here, I assume) was watching on a small, less-than-optimal feed on teh Internets, which probably makes a big difference in perception if the call was very close.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually TWO mistakes:

DG on 3T (from her 3Lz-3T) & 1F.

Wow. I expected Wagner to be last :( but I was NOT expecting Yuna to show such vulnerability! :eek: still though, if she nails the FS she'll STILL win by five miles.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
But the tech caller downgraded it, so the result is that she is now in the second place. If she hadn't been DG for it, she would've beaten Miki's SP.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what we say here. What matters is what the judges (and tech callers) think.

I do not necessarily agree w/ the 3T downgrade b/c I don't think it was UR, but that doesnt' change the result. :(

You're completely right. Even if I think that a decision was botched, it won't really change the outcome. Kim would have been first even with an UR had she executed her flip. She didn't. And that's why she's not in first.

I still think that figure skating, perhaps moreso than any other sport I know, is and continues to be besieged by judges who may have nationalistic tendencies, and although I suppose the new scoring system was meant to prevent this, what we've learned is that it probably hasn't. I'm just a little dismayed because even though I agree presentation scores should be subjective, what we're seeing now is the most simple and objective of judgements - for example, whether a skater underrotated or not - are and will continue to be misjudged.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I didn't think Yu-Na's 3T was under-rotated either, but I will give the technical caller the benefit of the doubt because I realize that I (along with most posters here, I assume) was watching on a small, less-than-optimal feed on teh Internets, which probably makes a big difference in perception if the call was very close.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the call is very close then isn't the skater to receive the benefit of the doubt?

woshisunnya

Rinkside

I do not necessarily agree w/ the 3T downgrade b/c I don't think it was UR, but that doesnt' change the result. :(

I compeletely agree with you. Nothing can change the result so I just hope Yuna will have a good Lp tomorrow. By the way, according from someone posted in her forum (thanks for the poster),Yuna said she was greatly taken aback by the fall in the warm-up. She thought that the 3L-3T was O.K. but she would check it out.

steyn

On the Ice
At the moment, pactically more important question would be whether the LP technical panel is the same as the SP panel and according to the answer we may be able to guess tommorrow's result.

Nadia01

Final Flight
You're completely right. Even if I think that a decision was botched, it won't really change the outcome. Kim would have been first even with an UR had she executed her flip. She didn't. And that's why she's not in first.

I still think that figure skating, perhaps moreso than any other sport I know, is and continues to be besieged by judges who may have nationalistic tendencies, and although I suppose the new scoring system was meant to prevent this, what we've learned is that it probably hasn't. I'm just a little dismayed because even though I agree presentation scores should be subjective, what we're seeing now is the most simple and objective of judgements - for example, whether a skater underrotated or not - are and will continue to be misjudged.

I'm not sure what you mean by nationalistic tendencies.

There was no JP tech caller.

Mafke

Medalist
Boy, am I beginning to hate CoP, especially UR calls. Far too many of them seem completely random and/or undeserved (and they can't be effectively challenged). The result is they effectively randomize too many of the results....

blech, who wants to watch crap like that??????

I know I don't (why I'm planning on giving the ladies in Vancouver a miss).

Last edited:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Wow. I expected Wagner to be last :( but I was NOT expecting Yuna to show such vulnerability! :eek: still though, if she nails the FS she'll STILL win by five miles.

At the same time Yuna is very close to beating Miki even w/ 2 mistakes. (Miki made none that I could see...)

So that's pretty crazy when put that way, no?

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I'm not sure what you mean by nationalistic tendencies.

There was no JP tech caller.

I wasn't alluding to that and I apologise if you took it that way. I was not referring to this incident involving Yu-Na. I was talking in general. You don't agree that figure skating is often marred by inconsistent judging and suspicious calls?

Nadia01

Final Flight
At the moment, pactically more important question would be whether the LP technical panel is the same as the SP panel and according to the answer we may be able to guess tommorrow's result.

I think it's the same.

camion

On the Ice
I am not being nationalistic here, I am from the states........??

I am sorry, but to be honest, I really cannot accept this downgrade with her 3T. Seriously, first her step, then her 3F, and now 3T. Now what?(And if it's that one/two same people who are giving these problems, then I will be bitter...... lol)

And, Ando got positive GOE for her 3-2 (which was supposed to be 3-3). BAH...??

Puhleease. Sorry my wording was wrong. I'm also an American national, but ethnicity-wise I'm Scottish, Korean and Japanese. There are so many hostile and stupid Japanese-Americans/Korean-Americans that spew out silly garb. I just hate the fact that you have to bring up a Japanese lady must be behind some kind of reason that Yuna got DG. I don't like the call either. And I'm not talking how people get GOEs or not. I'm saying you're ridiculous in insinuating that a call that you don't agree on has to have some kind of ethnically-driven motive. Yuna clearly didn't deserve a +1 GOE for her 1st combo at SA in LP '09, but just because one judge had strange marks I didn't assume, oh the person must be Korean. I'm making an analogy here, but that's what you essentially did. I've gone through this Korean vs Japanese my whole life & I'm frankly so sick of it.

rossdale

Match Penalty
It is ridiculous to downgrade Yuna 3-3

I watched slow motion more than 10 times.

It is an excellent 3-3 jumps. How come were this jump down-graded?

I am really concerned to see inconsistent calls for the same jump

Nadia01

Final Flight
I wasn't alluding to that and I apologise if you took it that way. I was not referring to this incident involving Yu-Na. I was talking in general.

Thanks for clarification. :)

I just wanted to make sure that people know that there was no homecooking on the tech panel since there wasn't any JP tech caller... :)

inside edge

On the Ice
Sorry, I am not that familiar with figure skating but with semantics aside, can you please tell me why on earth there are such inconsistencies in handing out DG's and edge calls if the technical panel can review a skater's jumps?

sigh...
:banging:
look at her slow motioned 3-3
same one at TEB or SA.

Last edited: