Grand Prix Final: Ladies SP | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final: Ladies SP

Nadia01

Final Flight
I missed SA2009. I live in west coast and Lake Placid was to far for me. I would like to go Vancouver Olympics if I find a decent priced ticket. People are asking more than 1000 bucks per game. I can not afford it.
However I will definitely attend her next game in America.

You make me sad b/c I think I'll never get to see her skate live at this rate. :(

Yuna skates too far from where I am...I could've gone to Tokyo I suppose, but *sob* This year's just impossible.

Last edited:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I can't believe I got up this early to watch GPF.... ugh.

Anyway.... I think her 3T was downgraded........... sigh.
First, her perfect 3F that used to get +2 GOE got edge calls, and
now they are attacking her 3T.

I don't know... if Kim's 3T should be downgraded, then show me a better 3T.

I don't think the 3T was <. The flip worth 5.5 and she normally get +1 to +2 GOE so far on her two previous GP event. That's 7.5 to her score, and you might notice her PCS mark is also about 2 points lower. So 65+ with a poped jump is pretty good and fair.

You have to remember skater got nail -3GOE on not fulfilling require element. that include poped jump, double jump or failing on combo.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I don't think the 3T was <. The flip worth 5.5 and she normally get +1 to +2 GOE so far on her two previous GP event. That's 7.5 to her score, and you might notice her PCS mark is also about 2 points lower. So 65+ with a poped jump is pretty good and fair.

You have to remember skater got nail -3GOE on not fulfilling require element. that include poped jump, double jump or failing on combo.

Tech caller DG'd her 3T. So her SP score is low accordingly.

figurejennah

On the Ice
I missed SA2009. I live in west coast and Lake Placid was to far for me. I would like to go Vancouver Olympics if I find a decent priced ticket. People are asking more than 1000 bucks per game. I can not afford it.
However I will definitely attend her next game in America.

I know. more than 1000 bucks, right? :cry:
My canadian friend said she won a ticket to men's figure skating from
lottery or something. Sob. Let's hope that Yuna won't retire after this season, and hopefully she will come back to SA.

figurejennah

On the Ice
You make me sad b/c I think I'll never get to see her skate live at this rate. :(

Yuna skates too far from where I am...I could've gone to Tokyo I suppose, but *sob* This year's just impossible.

Where do you live? You GOTTA go see her live. That was some experience I tell ya. I am a girl, too, but Yuna was soooooooo stunningly beautiful that I couldn't take my eyes off of her. :) Seriously, before she retires, just
get a ticket and Go. If she doesn't retire after this season, I am willing to
go anywhere she goes.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Air position can affect GOE not UR.

I am talking about the mechanics, not points. A skater can under rotate or even fall if their air position is a bit off.

It's not habitual issue it is more of checking in and out of a jump. A skater like Yuna, who has so much speed, have to be careful because if anything is off in jump entry or exit, it can throw off their air position.

gourry

Final Flight
Let's hope that Yuna won't retire after this season, and hopefully she will come back to SA.

My sentiment exactly!! I attended both 2008 and 2009 SA. Because I live in southern part it cost a lot both times but watching your favorite skater live is really priceless.:biggrin: If only Sasha'd been there too.... sigh

Nadia01

Final Flight
Where do you live? You GOTTA go see her live. That was some experience I tell ya. I am a girl, too, but Yuna was soooooooo stunningly beautiful that I couldn't take my eyes off of her. :) Seriously, before she retires, just
get a ticket and Go. If she doesn't retire after this season, I am willing to
go anywhere she goes.

I live in Japan, but I live too far from Tokyo to travel there. (at least 4 hrs by the fastest Shink...) And this year's just crazy for me.

I'd love to see her live. Maybe her ice show in Korea....

I hope she doesn't retire, but at the same time I can understand if she does given her past injuries, etc. (And the crappy DG calls!)

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I mean how and where to land. It is related UR.

OK, but 2 loop has 2 rotations when 2 axel has 2.5. And if axel look like 2 loop, of corse axel is UR. Anyway, Ashley's 2A was UR I can tell it for sure (and she has the same problem at the Rostelecom cup, it's not the first time). As for Miki's loop I didn't notice that something was wrong with it

Luciana

Rinkside
I am talking about the mechanics, not points. A skater can under rotate or even fall if their air position is a bit off.

It's not habitual issue it is more of checking in and out of a jump. A skater like Yuna, who has so much speed, have to be careful because if anything is off in jump entry or exit, it can throw off their air position.

I don't understand your point. :scratch:
Anyway, Kim rotated fully though your theory is right. What's the problem?

Last edited:

steyn

On the Ice

In theory, this may be a correct comment in the sense that good air position may result in good landing. But in evaluating a particular jump which has already been executed, air position has nothing to do with DG.

ilunga1965

Rinkside
I think sincerely that Yuna Kim is over-evaluated.
There are no doubts that her score (over 70's!!) is too inflated. In SA and GPX she even deserved less than 60's... plz.. she can't jump a normal 3F (only with wrong edge) and what about 3loops...
She is as normal as other skaters that participate in this competition..
I can't understand why you guys are complaining so much.

Well...the same old story that I've been hearing since I got interested in figure skating because of Yuna(I'm Korean).

I'm not that surprised at the score Yu-na got today(It's not the first time - not just for Yu-na) but feel sorry for her and Orser not because she's the 2nd in the SP but because she, I think, feels more nervous than before this competition, her last competition before the Olympics.

Frankly speaking, I don't care about the color of medal in Olympcis or the international ranking, but I do care about the other factors whcih may affect the performance of skaters and my joy of watching/learing about figure skaing - scoring system, media, or Anti-fans, etc....

I just hope that Yuna will beat her anxiety and will do her best in her LP as she always wants.

You did a good job! Miki, Yu-na and Leonova...

Sorry for my poor English.

Luciana

Rinkside
OK, but 2 loop has 2 rotations when 2 axel has 2.5. And if axel look like 2 loop, of corse axel is UR. Anyway, Ashley's 2A was UR I can tell it for sure (and she has the same problem at the Rostelecom cup, it's not the first time). As for Miki's loop I didn't notice that something was wrong with it

I don't mean intro and rotation but landing.

Their landing point and degree is so similar.
And usually prerotation is not so important but landing degree is critical judging UR. (I learned it here. If it is wrong, tell me and explain how to judge UR.)
I'm not sure when but Ando also got downgraded 2 loop because of landing degree.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I don't mean intro and rotation but landing.

Their landing point and degree is so similar.
And usually prerotation is not so important but landing degree is critical judging UR. (I learned it here. If it is wrong, tell me and explain how to judge UR.)
I'm not sure when but Ando also got downgraded 2 loop because of landing degree.

Yes, landing degree is critical judging UR. But it's incorrect to compare different jumps like axel and loop. You can compare, for example, Miki's or Alena's or Yu-Na's 2A with Ashley's (you can try and see that it was UR), but not loop. And there's also can depend on camera's angle too

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
I don't see what all of the fuss is about over Yuna's 3T. It was most certainly not her best, and in the slow-mo you can see that she landed FORWARDS people. So stop your whining because for once this season, a ladies free skate is actually going to be exciting.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow for once a really close sp. This freeskate is going to be intense. Miki just showed us how she could be the surprise gold medalist. Stay within her limits and do what she does well. Leneova was overscored. I seea second love affair with the judges like the Irina thing in 2004-5. What is it about the russian girls?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Wow for once a really close sp. This freeskate is going to be intense. Miki just showed us how she could be the surprise gold medalist. Stay within her limits and do what she does well. Leneova was overscored. I seea second love affair with the judges like the Irina thing in 2004-5. What is it about the russian girls?

It would be the same if Laura was there. Look at the judging panel - it has an overwhelming majority of Euros.
So Alena is the only Euro girl there and will have an edge because of it.

Imagine if seven of the judges today were Japanese. Do you think Akiko and Miki would have gotten better scores?

coconutpunch

Rinkside
Thing is, Alena is nowhere near as polished as Slute was and she wasn't clean here either. I'm a bit iffy about her placing 3rd, but Joannie's SP was completely subpar tonight, so...

Tomorrow will be a nail-biter!

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
I don't understand your point. :scratch:
Anyway, Kim rotated fully according to your theory. What's the problem?

She fully rotated in "real" time. Her air position for the 3T is not as straight today, thus she might have not gotten the lift she needed in her jump. Her 3T looked better at TEB & SA. Here is the video of today's performance: (It is NOT a crazy fan video, I think it is skateBuzz/NBC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLr1uX_X1GA

Pay attention closely at 5:20-5:25. It appears she finished her final rotation on the ice. That's the problem with the judges getting HD TV and watching everything in slow mo. The judges are giving scores based on the slow mo view, theoretically Yuna complete 3 rotations in real time.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
In theory, this may be a correct comment in the sense that good air position may result in good landing. But in evaluating a particular jump which has already been executed, air position has nothing to do with DG.

Of course, the judges are not judging base on theory. I was using the theory to explain why the judges may have downgraded Yuna's jump.