GP Final: FD | Page 4 | Golden Skate

GP Final: FD

colleen o'neill

Medalist
T/B . De-e-ep trouble.I don't think the judges at their nationals would now give them anything extra on rep, and D/W's programs are superior, I think. So unless the T/B camp have really just been slogging away at the drawing board, it doesn't look good for them. The good part is that D/W can probably count on being given credit for what they do .

It may be rude to make reference to Linichuk's machinations, but she has that reputation for a reason. And while I think the CoP has made an improvement , it hasn't made off ice influence impossible.

Look at last year's world's ...3&4 should have been 1&2 ( in some order - 'Salome' being a work of genius for D/W and beautifully skated)..1&2 should probably have been 3&4, certainly not better. It wasn't V/M who robbed D/W.... Yes, Virginia , there are flukes, but that podium wasn't one of them.

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
T/B . De-e-ep trouble.I don't think the judges at their nationals would now give them anything extra on rep, and D/W's programs are superior, I think. So unless the T/B camp have really just been slogging away at the drawing board, it doesn't look good for them. The good part is that D/W can probably count on being given credit for what they do .

It may be rude to make reference to Linichuk's machinations, but she has that reputation for a reason. And while I think the CoP has made an improvement , it hasn't made off ice influence impossible.

Look at last year's world's ...3&4 should have been 1&2 ( in some order - 'Salome' being a work of genius for D/W and beautifully skated)..1&2 should probably have been 3&4, certainly not better. It wasn't V/M who robbed D/W.... Yes, Virginia , there are flukes, but that podium wasn't one of them.

Nationals will have a CD - probably the Golden Waltz since it is the chosen CD for Worlds (We don't know what the CD will be at OG.) Linichuk was wise to keep B&A from the GPF because B&A haven't really lost anything yet. B&A have performed the Golden Waltz this season and got strong scores. We haven't seen D&W's Golden Waltz yet this season, and that may make a difference at Nationals. B&A have to win the CD in Spokane by several points and hope to stay close enough to D&W in the OD & FD to win overall. I don't think it's a done deal for D&W or B&A. That's why I think Nationals will be so exciting. Men's podium will probably include Evan, Johnny & Jeremy in some form, although Ryan has an outside chance. Ladies is wide open. Pairs will probably be the same top two teams as last year - but Inoue & Baldwin could make a last attempt for Olympic Team.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Totally agree:laugh::laugh::laugh: I don't think B/A will show up at Nationals.

I would not count B/A out just yet. They have a lot of talent and experience and they will not give up without a fight. Being a fan of both teams I am very happy for D/W win today and l Iook forward to seeing a great competition at U.S Nationals. If D/W win great, if B/A win that is great too. Either way two of my favorite teams are going to Vancouver and that makes me a very happy camper. I must tell you I love V/M too.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
YEAHHHHH!!! The real people on ice won!!!!:rock:

Medusa, if you don't mind my asking, how is this any less dismissive of Virtue/Moir's abilities than those who criticize Joubert's PCS as simply being a gift due to the fact that he's sex on a stick?

LDVSkate

Spectator
V/M have cleaner lines, great extension, and great posture. Meryl's toe point is still weak and her crouchy posture is hard on my back.

I thought her toe point and extension in the OD were excellent. It was essential to that dance and they made it a highlight.

Their free dance is more baroque. Hence, her body positions aren't as rigid and formal.

They seem to have beaten V/M in every PCS category for the FD. So, clearly the judges appreciated the non-technical aspects of their dance.

herios

Medalist
I thought her toe point and extension in the OD were excellent. It was essential to that dance and they made it a highlight.

Their free dance is more baroque. Hence, her body positions aren't as rigid and formal.

They seem to have beaten V/M in every PCS category for the FD. So, clearly the judges appreciated the non-technical aspects of their dance.

The judges in ice dance raise the PCS scores with each and every team as they skate. That is a habit they will never get rid of. That is why the reverse order skating is a stupid idea in the first place.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Except... no, they don't always. V/M outscored D/W in PCS at Worlds 09 despite skating before them, as an example. As doris has mentioned several times, D/W are FAST, and speed really does boost the PCS.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Just did a quick scan of the protocols. D/W got level three on their spin, twizzles and diagonal steps, while V/W got level 4 on everything except heir circular steps. If they had just gotten a level 4 on their twizzles, they might have won the FD outright. D/W actually accumulated more GOE on top of their base score than V/M. D/W also won the PCS, I think lending credence to the idea that speed influences PCS the most.

BTW, I believe this is the most significant title a US ice dance team has won at the international level since the discipline was added to the Olympics in 1976.

Of course, V/M had three level threes on four elements in the OD compared to D/W's one level three and three level fours. They got the exact same GOE in the OD (6.2).

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm hesitant to niggle because I don't want to feed any " because one is good it must mean the other is bad" sentiments, BUT...

I am glad to see D/W rewarded , it's just that I'd be a lot happier if I could agree with the point differential between the two in the OD. I ,too, thought it a bit excessive. I'm also of the opinion that speed is a good thing, the greater the better ...right up to the point where it begins to interfere with the skater being able to execute their program cleanly. Past that point, I feel their PCS should be docked.

But the two teams I find most satisfying are 1-2 ; I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

KKonas

Medalist
The judges in ice dance raise the PCS scores with each and every team as they skate. That is a habit they will never get rid of. That is why the reverse order skating is a stupid idea in the first place.

The reason the ISU has done this is to eliminate a draw because they are holding both the Junior and Senior Finals almost back to back and there is very little time in between the different segments to do draws.

waxel

Final Flight
I am a huge D/W fan- so I'm taking nothing from their victory.

However. V/M free dance was mesmerizing. It was, by far, my favorite moment of GPF. And certainly one of my favorites of the entire season so far.

It was just captivating.. So musical, so complete. It took my breath

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am a huge D/W fan- so I'm taking nothing from their victory.

However. V/M free dance was mesmerizing. It was, by far, my favorite moment of GPF. And certainly one of my favorites of the entire season so far.

It was just captivating.. So musical, so complete. It took my breath

Yeah, I think that Tessa finally got the attitude right, she did not seem to be smiling every minute. I did not like the new dress, but the skating was flawless. The final 20 seconds of that program are perfection.