Grand Prix Final: Mens LP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Final: Mens LP

KKonas

Medalist
I wouldn't consider Johnny's comments as trash talking. On the snarky side, yes, but far from trash talking especially considering he's had his share of diva moments. I actually take it as a compliment to Jeremy whose had great success in last year's GP and Nationals. It's a testament to how strong a skater he has become for him to be used as a barometer that he's not out of the loop yet. And Johnny's comments are very true. He needs to have this "out to prove everyone one wrong" attitude because he is more of the classical skater than the one that goes out & takes advantage of the CoP.

Skating well proves he deserves to be on the Olympic Team. Not taking advantage of the current rules in a competition is just not smart. "Snarky" as you term it, is not cool. I just think it's better to let your skating do your talking for you.
I hope he continues to improve his skating and makes the Olympic Team.

In comparing Evan with Jeremy and assuming both skate their best, one should note, Evan is basicaly a solid consistant skater and Jeremy is basically a musical skater. Both have quads but which one makes the quad a part of their solo dance?

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Love Johnny....

but he only beat Jeremy by two points! Not exactly decisive as far as beating the national champion. I was disappointed he chose to make these remarks, I agree with others....just let your skating talk for you. And concentrate on increasing difficulty in your program, transitions, etc. to rack up those points.

That's the way Johnny will do well at Nationals and hopefully the Olympics.

Johnny will do well at US Nats, but he needs to up his Tech for Vancouver. Three of the following will push him off the podium: Oda, Takahashi, Kozuka Chan, Plushenko, Joubert, Lambiel, Verner, Brezina, and his team mates: Lysacek and Abbott. No? Johnny will need many meltdowns of others. JMO.

Oh, man, why did Weir have to say that? It just makes him look ungenerous. And I like his skating!

Just watching Mens now on UNISPORT

Jeremy has the body language as well as being the best musical skater in Men's division today. And that 3x3x2. We need more of them from all the Men.

Johnny so carefully skating those jumps. He gets the points, but he lost his fabulouls flow in doing so. For me, he skated the program creaky like.

Nobi - Nobody today can land those jumps on low bent knees (maybe Stefane) which to me are WoW. Good show but Chaplin is becoming tiresome.

Evan - A bit slow and too carefumly skated (I prefer great flow). The points of the CoP will keep him on the podium.

Dai - Poor Dai. I was feeling for him. After a difficult surgery, he had a good season and hopefully it continues in Vancouver.

Well, the GP season concludes. Much has been learned for Nats, Olys and Worlds 2010,

inside edge

On the Ice
Just watching Mens now on UNISPORT

Jeremy has the body language as well as being the best musical skater in Men's division today. And that 3x3x2. We need more of them from all the Men.

Johnny so carefully skating those jumps. He gets the points, but he lost his fabulouls flow in doing so. For me, he skated the program creaky like.

Nobi - Nobody today can land those jumps on low bent knees (maybe Stefane) which to me are WoW. Good show but Chaplin is becoming tiresome.

Evan - A bit slow and too carefumly skated (I prefer great flow). The points of the CoP will keep him on the podium.

Dai - Poor Dai. I was feeling for him. After a difficult surgery, he had a good season and hopefully it continues in Vancouver.

Well, the GP season concludes. Much has been learned for Nats, Olys and Worlds 2010,

totally agree

camion

On the Ice
Skating well proves he deserves to be on the Olympic Team. Not taking advantage of the current rules in a competition is just not smart. "Snarky" as you term it, is not cool. I just think it's better to let your skating do your talking for you.
I hope he continues to improve his skating and makes the Olympic Team.

ITA. It ultimately comes to who can hit big when it counts the most on the ice. Not bravado talk or frustrated pleas. Note to Patrick Chan as well. And I think as you say you got to work w/the system. I do think the CoP still needs to be reviewed over because I thought Evan totally deserved to win the GPF but his PCS were ridiculous as well as Akiko's, but that's a whole other story.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I've been inclined to accept this scoring system until now but if the result is Evan as OGM I've had it. I salute his hard work, drive, and strength. I commend the coaching and programming strategies of Carroll and Nichol simply (and only) because they're working. But he is quite plainly the most unpleasant-looking elite skater I have ever seen. There is absolutely no beauty and no effort at beauty - just force and speed. His all-black costumes just accentuate his gangly form. Sorry to be so sour.

No one is ever going to change my mind about that but surely someone can explain what the heck is so superior about his skating skills and choreography?
I wouldn't go so far as "unpleasant", but ITA with the rest. Someone wrote that Evan is exactly the sort of skater IJS rewards - but he isn't really, and shouldn't be. Leaving aside the lack of quad, because apparently those don't matter these days, Evan has poorer jump technique than most of the other top guys, and is prone to URs and edge issues. That alone should mean a much smaller gap between his base mark (which was quite low yesterday) and his TES. His skating skills are decent enough but nothing special, and if Evan is particularly musical or capable of interesting interpretation, I have yet to see evidence of it in his music choices or his performances.

Evan Lysacek is a consistently good skater who's now marked as though he's the greatest ever. His GOEs are too high, his PCS are too high, and while normally I'd say, so long as the placements are right, who cares - now I sense either a PCS assist or a wuzrobbing being set up for Vancouver, depending on how he performs there, and that I don't like at all :no:.

"I defeated our National Champion (Abbott) here. Last year I was 5th at the Nationals and he was first, and I hope this competition gives me some legitimacy, because a lot of people after I made mistakes always write me off and I have to climb my way up."

Sounds like Johnny is making a case for himself for the Olympic team.
Trash talking (especially trying to show up a fellow countryman) is not going to put him on the Olympic Team, skating well is, so I'm glad to see Weir is taking his training a llittle more seriously this year than last year. USFS showed last year that it is not going to "gift" him to Vancouver.
I think it was a measure of respect for Jeremy and what he has accomplished the past two seasons that Johnny measured himself against him. Johnny is certainly not a favorite with his federation and he knows that he'll be required to fight for the ticket to Vancouver more than some skaters might have had they been in his position.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
What is up with the tech calling/judging at this event? evan gets a season's record for a with a freeskate with a popped jump and a sloppy triple axel and no quad? sorry that is absurd and I am huge Evan fan. I think Oda should have actually won the event...had had pretty much the same number of mistakes that Evan did in the freeskate but the quality of his other stuff is great. It should have been close, but I would have put Oda in first after the free.

jennylovskt

Medalist
In comparing Evan with Jeremy and assuming both skate their best, one should note, Evan is basicaly a solid consistant skater and Jeremy is basically a musical skater. Both have quads but which one makes the quad a part of their solo dance?

Please note that Jeremy is the one who has quads, and he was brave enough to do quads in all competitions. Evan doesn't have quad any more. His technical skill is shrinking. What makes him so outstanding? I honestly don't know.

And please tell Plush he is too pale and needs some tan to look like he is a alive :laugh:

I would rather see pale than the ugly, fake tan.

So no more Poor Evan in this thread?;) Enjoy the moment!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
My personal opinion is that the US should send the three men here, but I know they have to deliver at Nats.

Interjecting to also say that Jeremy was awesome today

Agree with you on this. I expect Evan and Jeremy will go 1-2 at Ntls in some order, barring a complete meltdown by either of them. If Weir is #3 he'll make it easy for USFS and he'll be sent too, but if he ends up in #4 behind a Mroz or a Rippon, it gets more interesting. And if he ends up in #5 or below, probably will put nail in his coffin for OG.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I actually enjoyed Evan's skating at the GPF (and no I'm not a particular fan of his). But I agree the PCS especially were a little :scratch:

But now we know where poor Akiko's missing PCS numbers ended up. :eek:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091205&content_id=7761390&vkey=ice_news

Article from IN on the th Men's FS.

quote from Johnny

I defeated our National Champion (Abbott) here. Last year I was 5th at the Nationals and he was first, and I hope this competition gives me some legitimacy, because a lot of people after I made mistakes always write me off and I have to climb my way up

Sounds like Johnny is making a case for himself for the Olympic team.

Although it is not trash talking, I would prefer Weir to have better manners. He did not need to bring Abbott into the discussion at all. In my opinion Weir should have waited for somebody else to make comparisons if at all. LOL, there are things one can say e.g. to one´s own mother, but should not say publicly. Apparently Weir has not been taught the difference.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Jeremy ABbott WUZROBBED of the PCS!!! 6 points behind Lysacek???? Judges need to be real, for once.

Well, that is exactly what skating has always been: the skaters need to pay their dues, so to speak. If Abbott would have skated better in World competitions and been on the podium even once, he would get better scores, I´d expect. His best international achievement is the win in 2008 GPF, which is just a small competition.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
His best international achievement is the win in 2008 GPF, which is just a small competition.

GPF is arguably the most valuable competition of the year outside of Worlds/Olympics. :scratch:

janetfan

Match Penalty
GPF is arguably the most valuable competition of the year outside of Worlds/Olympics. :scratch:

Perhaps it depends on where one comes from.
Given the choice of being US Natl Champion or GPF champion - I would pick the US title in a heartbeat.

As far as the prestige and tradition the GPF has very little of either.

Maybe you forgot about Natl titles - or are just in love with the GP series - but it is nothing more than a very silly title made up by Cinquanta..

I would rather be my countries champion than Cincuanta's champion any day of the week.

I seriously doubt if Alissa would trade her US Championship for a GP title.
Do you think Michelle would trade one of her nine US Titles for a GP title?

I seriously doubt it.

Johnny Weir showed us tears when he lost his US Championship but would never have a reason to do so over losing a GP title. Why is that?

Maybe if a skater is from a smaller federation or a federation lacking a strong National Championship tradition the answer could be different. It might feel that way for fans too.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Being GPF Champion is more significant in the eyes of international judges than a National Title, IMO.