Grandma had a stroke | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Grandma had a stroke

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, aside from my uncle's drama that he HAS to start :rolleyes: today was a good day.

Grandma was sitting in a chair in her room when we got there tonight, and was finishing her dinner. It's all puree and she can't have regular liquid, it's a thicker (they call it honey consistency) liquid substance. It looks gross, but she says it's okay. Whatever lol, even the WATER is thicker. it's just WEIRD. Space age creepy.

Anyway, she knew who we both were. She was way more aware of what was going on. She told us what her goal was (which is to be home by the motorhome club Christmas party) but she said she's gonna be home before then because she has to clean house. *facepalm*

She is already walking - successfully - with a walker... but not for any real distance, as it tires her out quickly. But she's progressing pretty quickly.

All in all a great visit, she is having trouble with numbers/dates. She's fixated on her goal date and on her anniversary (which is tomorrow). but as far as knowing when I was born or how long she's been in Alaska (this is based on stories she was telling tonight) she's way off. But, hey, if that's the worst of it, then she's pretty dang good... (she's ALWAYS had trouble remembering my birthdate. Go figure lol)

antmanb

Record Breaker
So glad that the visit went well and things are looking a little more positive. Grandmas worrying about getting their houses clean sounds to me a lot like getting back to normality :laugh:

I always call my grandma "robo-grandma" because she had both her hips replaced within about 5 years of each other, the last being about 10 years ago before she turned 80. After the intial post op groginess and recovery she got very fidgety in the hospital insisting she had to get home to clean her house and test out the new hip! We knew she was ready to go home soon after! Although she's slowed down alot in the last 10 years Robo-grandma is still going strong and still fusses about the cleanliness of her house!!

Still keeping you and all your family in my thoughts Toni.

Ant

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Best wishes to your grandmother and your entire family Toni.
I hope your grandmother will make the best recovery possible.
She is fortunate to have a loving family around her and this can often help enhance the medical treatment.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni, good news, I hope to hear more. We all would know mom was feeling better when she would start her growing list of things she wanted us to do for her. :laugh: :laugh:

Anyhow still thinking & praying for you & your family.

seniorita

Record Breaker
This is great news:), I hope you feel better, our people have more strength than we think, it is magic ;)
sending happy thoughts 407f4ef864f726f7a35c2784b9d9260f.gif

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Toni I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I can imagine what you and your family must be going through, I have been there. Hang in there you and your family will get through this together. Praying for you all.

Buzzz

Final Flight
Hugs to you and your grandma and best wishes for her speedy recovery. I say a prayer for her.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Grandma has been moved from the Neuroscience area to the rehabilitation center! :rock:

She is also eating "ground" food instead of "pureed" food! Things are moving in the right direction.

She doesn't like one of her rehab nurses because she wants her to take small bites and chew it all up before swallowing/taking another bite. Apparently she didn't listen at lunch and the nurse took the food away (she had another paitent to tend to unexpectedly, and she couldn't trust gma to follow the rules) and gma fell asleep before she got back with it LOL

then my dad (who is here until after my wisdom tooth drama is over today) got to supervise dinner, and he was "being mean" too. She stuck her tongue out at him. :laugh:

she can move her leg even better now, and she wiggled her toes for the first time last night!

I told her about my wisdom teeth and she said she was going to pray for me because it was going to be worse than what she was going through. Way to make it positive, grandma! *facepalm*

Alsace

On the Ice
Toni, I'll be praying for your grandmother. I've had a stroke myself (at age 30) and patience is the key. She's getting back the major things quickly, so that's wonderful. Not easy to watch, I understand, but still, a hopeful sign.

camion

On the Ice
Tonichelle- I'm praying for you grandmother and your family. My mother had a small stoke when she was 40 and had to work with a speech therapist for a while.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just a short update that dad gave me when he picked me up to take me to the oral surgeon yesterday

Grandma had a fantastic day. They had her sitting by herself in a straight back wooden chair and STANDING on her own balancing. Her right side is so much stronger than the left that it keeps trying to push her over, but she is progressing right along.

My dad is trying to get the full week of Christmas off to help out. I'm thinking it's because he's convinced Grandma WILL make her goal of going home on the 19th... which is freaking fantastic!

Blue Bead

Medalist
Toni, this is beyond wonderful that your grandma is progessing so well. There are so many people who don't have this level of results this fast. LOL, about her fighting attitude (sticking her tongue out). She sounds like a heck of a granny!

Blue Bead

anya_angie

Final Flight
Oh Toni I'm so sorry for that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this very difficult time. I hope that she will be ok.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni, thanks for the update. The latest news about your grandmother sounds encouraging. May that continue!