For MK Fans Only: What will be your feelings | Golden Skate

For MK Fans Only: What will be your feelings

For MK Fans Only: What will be your feelings when MK retires from eligible ranks?

• I will still be 100% figure skating fan

Votes: 80 70.2%
  • I will have about 85% interest in figure skating

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I will be a very casual fan of FS (less than 50%)

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • I will lose total interest in Figure Skating

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
Mine went down to 85%. But I have a feeling that Michelle will continue to be in the public eye in some way or another, so maybe we won't have to lose her completely when she retires from competition.

For me, the key is to try to find a younger skater that I can take a paternal interest in. I like Jenny Kirk a lot, and the Japanese youngsters have a good deal of potential.

But the combination of Michelle's unparalleled talent as a skater, plus her down to earth charm as a person -- "we will not pass this way again."

Mathman

Skatepixie - Exactly! You've made no secret about your feeling for Michelle on many threads. That's ok. But I am attempting to find out how MK fans feel about her eventual departure from figure skating and it's affect it has on figure skating as was implied by Hersch.

I'm with you Mathman - About 85 per cent less (even 75 per cent) It takes time for me to get that 'special' one in my life. Before MK, it was Debbie. Next time, maybe Bebe, maybe. Since Kurt there have been no men. Some have been excellent skaters, but no one since Kurt has been special. Maybe Kilimkin?, maybe Stephane?

Joe

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
As I've said before, my interest was sparked in 1994 by the Oksana vs. Nancy showdown in Lillehammer. But, when I saw Michelle skate at the 1995 Worlds I was hooked. She was a little girl with a huge future...and I couldn't wait to see what she would do with it. She has managed to create a career that really has no parrallel in this modern era. She's been so consistent, stylish and humble. So, when she does go, I'll be very sad. She's given so many "performances of a lifetime" that I've become a junkie! I want one more! But..as I've come to love Michelle, I've also embraced all the other wonderful things and athletes that make up this sport. My interest will probably be about 85% after she goes, but there are so many others I like. (Jenny, Sasha, Shizuka, Anne-Patrice, Ye Bin). But...I don't plan on having a favorite like Michelle for some time. LOL, I'm with Joe, it takes time to become accustomed to not having that "special" one around. I have no doubt that I'll eventually find another skater to back with unbridled enthusiasm, but for the time being, I'm not ready to start shopping!

4dogknight

Final Flight
Consider me an echo to Mathman,Joesitz and BronzeisGolden.

The rink will be empty, the lights will be dimmed and the sound of silence will be unbearable when MK retires.

Though in my mind, MK will take her place along side Dorothy Hamill, Caryn Kadavy, Yuka Sato, Brian Boitano, Rahkamo/Kokko, Torvill/Dean, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze and Gordeeva/Grinkov.

And in my mind's eye I can watch these skaters any time I want!

4dk

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
I voted 85%. I'll still follow skating, but not as much as before.

One thing I won't miss are the anti-Kwanny brats.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I voted 100%. As much as I will miss her I will always be a big skating fan. She will go the way of all the others we miss a lot. Life goes on. Hopefully skating will too. I don't understand why some just have to keep putting their digs in. Immaturity I guess.
I also agree with Jimmy.

patsue47

Rinkside
At this point in time my addiction to Michelle's skating is unquenchable! When she retires my interest in figure skating will dim considerably. I have no interest in any of the current elite skaters. While I am aware of the fact these skaters work hard and strive to be "on the podium" none of them take me on the magical journey that Michelle does. Nor do any of them leave me breathless--almost unable to breathe til she does her ending pose. I really don't want skaters just going from move to move--or just "look at me" moves. I have become accustomed to the projection of heart and soul in programs and frankly, imo--only Michelle does that projection every time she steps on the ice.

I will not watch each competition, avidly--rather I will become the most casual casual of viewer--most likely watching only when there is nothing better on tv to watch.

mpal2

Final Flight
I had to put 85% because I like all the disciplines. I will still watch but it will be with less enthusiasm. I won't have nearly as much interest in the ladies. If Don & Hunt continue to do well and actually stay together as pairs partners, I think they will be my next favorites as far as someone who really grabs my attention and makes me want to watch them.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
100%. Just like I felt when Janet, Dorothy, Oksana, Kurt, Scott, T&D, etc. all retired from active competition. I'm such a big fan of skating in general, and there are so many fantastic skaters that I enjoy watching that it just won't make a big difference to me if MK is around or not. I've gotten used to the changing of the guard so many times. It used to be standard to see your favorites retire after Olympic years, so we've had a treat that things have changed in recent years, and our faves hang around longer and develop artistically as the years progress.:)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think it's depressing that many will lose a bunch of interest in the sport because of ONE PERSON hanging up their competitive skates...

patsue47

Rinkside
tonichelle--just curious--why do you find it depressing if people don't care to watch figure skating as much when Michelle retires? I find it hard to believe that other people would care that much in regards to another person's viewing habits.

Figure skating is not going to dry up and blow away when Michelle retires--the sport as a whole has been around for a long time and will be around for ages to come. There will always be new skaters emerging on the elite scene to take the place of those going to new endeavors.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
when I had posted the poll was more in favor of enjoying skating less

I would hope that Michelle fans would watch skating just as much even with out her... I just tired of seeing that Michelle Kwan pratically equals figure skating

I don't enjoy skating any less now that Scott Hamilton does one or two shows a year, I enjoy it so much more. When/if Kurt retires I don't plan on being bummed and forgetting about the sport... sure Michelle or Scott or Kurt may have retired but the sport they loved and that they shared with their fans is still there and a lot of what they did is left as their legacy... Scott with the turning of how pro skating is looked at, Kurt's quad ;), and Michelle's style of skating... they're all still there, just not the skaters

patsue47

Rinkside
I, for one, have never felt Michelle equals skating. However, I do feel she is the only skater out there today that does put her heart and soul into whatever she is performing. I have gotten used to that effort she puts out there. I do not want to watch someone merely going through the motions or mentally ticking off each element for the CoP, or just doing jumps with very little evident skating skills. I know all of the skaters work hard and strive to do their best but I gotten spoiled. I do not want figure skating to stagnate, want it to keep evolving--but not at the expense of losing the quality that keeps fans mesmerized (whoever their particular favorite happens to be).

Before Michelle came on the scene I was totally disenchanted with figure skating as a whole--the blatant bloc judging, the whole hafta save room so we can't give the deserved marks, etc. I was channel surfing when I happen to catch my first glimpse of Michelle skating as a very young girl and knew right away, even with her imperfections at that point in time, that she would be one I would follow the progression of her skating.

So, when I state that I will only be a casual viewer when Michelle retires, it doesn't mean I won't watch at all, just means I will not seek the televised competitions as I once did. And who knows, I will probably be channel surfing some day and some new skater will draw me in again, whether it be men's, pairs or ice dancing. Until that time I will continue to savor Michelle's skating while she's still on the eligible scene. This year I didn't watch SA, no one there I wanted to see--I've already seen their styles of skating and gotta say I'm not impressed with any of them.

But that's just me--I don't care what other people will decide to do--it's a very personal thing!

patsue47

Rinkside
Oh, just wanted to add--when Scott and Kristy left the pro competitions I quit watching all together. I got tired of seeing the same few skaters doing the same few routines. The scoring at those competitions were worse than at the amateur level.

I do watch specials--Kurt's Gene Kelly take-off to "Singin' in the Rain" thrilled me to no end. Brian Boitano's specials hold my interest.

I also get tired of commentators--you know--I've been watching skating for so long--maybe I've just become jaded and need some time to regroup, lol.

It would seem from the responses that at least one half those voting would lose some measure of interest in Figure Skating, when Michelle leaves.

Joe

Lucy25

Final Flight
I'd say 85% because I already have little interest in competitions where Michelle is not skating. I still have interest, but not as much.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Well I wavered between 100% and 85%....I will still be a 100% fan, but my interest will not be as high. Its kind of like if your favorite baseball team doesn't get to the World Series. You still watch and you're still interested, but you're just not quite as into it as if it were your team competing.

guinevere

Final Flight
My interest in skating will still be 100% for sure....but there are not currently any other eligible female skaters out there who inspire me to root for them as hard (although Arakawa is a contender). With MK out of GP this season, I am hoping to see some new faces, or some familiar skaters who have improved, that I can get really enthusiastic about.

Then again, because I just love to watch skating, it would be ok with me to have a season or two where I don't have this big emotional investment in how one skater does. I think I would probably be able to learn a lot about more skaters, and technique in general, if I just want the best skater in the competition to win (that's what I always want, but when MK skates, I really really really want her to skate the best, and if there are little mistakes, I secretly hope others will make worse ones. Terrible!)

guinevere