Answers for Johnny | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Answers for Johnny

Wicked

Final Flight
I would hate to see Johnny try to add a quad now. It would mess too much with his head. I'd like to see him work with what he's got and make it as clean as possible. I'd also like to see him work with someone so his aura will not be black. Maybe an aura fluffer, like my former co-worker used to go to.

mskater93

Record Breaker
That's what it's real name is - carrot (<). The adult skaters call it the "carrot of death" and when you get no credit for something, we say that carrot was seasoned with some Mrs. Dash (-), which is a salt substitute.

schiele

Final Flight
That's what it's real name is - carrot (<). The adult skaters call it the "carrot of death" and when you get no credit for something, we say that carrot was seasoned with some Mrs. Dash (-), which is a salt substitute.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I'm loving this.. Thanks for this little inside info for us non-skaters..

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Johnny needs to go for a quad, add more transitions, and connecting moves ala Jeremy Abbott's style of programs. Or else he has to settle on others to bomb to medal at big events.

I don't think there's many skaters out there who can skate Abbott's type of program. Not only because of transitions and connecting moves you mention. Watch those edges, notice difficult jump entries and ride outs. Jeremy also barely comes to a complete stop to catch up his breath in fs (while other men do so, and more than once). Also his preparations for the jumps are short. There is not many crossovers in his programs, while he's constantly on the move. Plus, Jeremy's dramatic interpretation of rather underused music.

Abbott's style is pretty ambitious, probably most ambitious in the current crop of men. There's reasons to expect such a CoP-friendly (not to mention unique) style of skating to be scored accordingly, but, instead, some pieces of monstrosity are getting the highest rewards in the business.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think Johnny knows he won't win the olympics, medaling would be amazing for him. I think he wants to skate two clean programs and get the 2006 monkey off his back. I agree that for him to bring the quad back would be foolish. As far as I know, he has not been practicing the quad this season. Even if he had the chances of landing it sucessfully are so small and even if he did it would not mean much unless he skated the rest of the program 100% clean.

tilak

On the Ice
I think Johnny knows he won't win the olympics, medaling would be amazing for him. I think he wants to skate two clean programs and get the 2006 monkey off his back. I agree that for him to bring the quad back would be foolish. As far as I know, he has not been practicing the quad this season. Even if he had the chances of landing it sucessfully are so small and even if he did it would not mean much unless he skated the rest of the program 100% clean.

I think Johnny is going to the Olympics to try to win the gold medal.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Not realistically. Sure he wants to have shot but right now I see his chances of actually winning about even with Racheal's

tilak

On the Ice
Not realistically. Sure he wants to have shot but right now I see his chances of actually winning about even with Racheal's

Yes, but I do not think his mindset is "that he knows he won't win the Olympics, etc" at all. What he actually accomplishes is another thing.
IMO, he has a shot at a medal.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Yes, but I do not think his mindset is "that he knows he won't win the Olympics, etc" at all.
Wasn't there a 'silver talk' back in 2006, b/c Zhenya Plushenko was going to win the whole thing? And then Evan responded to that in a certain way, and bombed in the sp. Seems like centuries ago.

But, of course, everything flows, everything changes incl the mindsets.

herios

Medalist

And so do other 9 or so other skaters. One thing is what they want, and another will be what they will be able to pull off. His chances are minimal for gold If a Gothenburg scenario happnes (4-5 favorites stumble), some underdogs could medal, like Buttle or Weir did there.

jennylovskt

Medalist

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes, but I do not think his mindset is "that he knows he won't win the Olympics, etc" at all. What he actually accomplishes is another thing.

I think he's very well aware of the position he could be at, just like he's very well aware of his age. I know it's negative, but it's true.

Last edited:

MissIzzy

Final Flight
And why shouldn't he shoot for the moon? Even if he doesn't get it, it just might increase he chances of snatching up on of the two stars just below?

seniorita

Record Breaker
And why shouldn't he shoot for the moon? Even if he doesn't get it, it just might increase he chances of snatching up on of the two stars just below?
I loved this:yes:There is a greek saying almost the same, Go to grab the moon, and even if you cant manage it, at least you will fall among the stars!
And thats what all athletes should do:)

tilak

On the Ice
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think he's very well aware of the position he could be at, just like he's very well aware of his age. I know it's negative, but it's true.

On the contrary, what Johnny & those close to him say, is how well trained he is & that he is in the best shape of his life.

The top 10 men that qualify for the Olympics, as a part of their preparation, should be absolutely "Going for the Gold."

gkelly

Record Breaker
The top 10 men that qualify for the Olympics, as a part of their preparation, should be absolutely "Going for the Gold."

But how do they know whether they're top 10 that qualify for the Olympics or not? Should the 11th guy not be going for gold? ;)

(BTW, Johnny Weir is currently 11th in the ISU world rankings.)

tilak

On the Ice
But how do they know whether they're top 10 that qualify for the Olympics or not? Should the 11th guy not be going for gold? ;)

(BTW, Johnny Weir is currently 11th in the ISU world rankings.)

How about the top eligible men or most likely to qualify for the Olympics....:)

decker

On the Ice

I get the carrot joke. But the correct spelling for the symbol is caret. And actually, a caret points upward.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
According to the latest Sarah & Drew update on IN, Johnny's new LP costume is inspired by "A seagull caught in an oil spill" and "will have touches of his old one, like the ribs, for example".

I just really wanted to share that, because that's comparable in wackiness to some of skating's greatest hits (zebra seeing snow, Camille, etc.).