Is it really farfetched to say Flatt has a chance to medal in Vancouver? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Is it really farfetched to say Flatt has a chance to medal in Vancouver?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Rachael's PCS scores have gotten higher because she is the 2007-2008 JGPF silver medalist, 2008 World Junior Champion, finished 5th at 2009 Worlds, and is a pretty consistent performer who has scored over 110 in the FS on many occasions. She's also won two silver GP medals (one last year and one this year) and was seeded in this year's GP. She was first alternate to the GPF.

Wagner has two JW bronze medals and finished 16th in her only appearance at Worlds. She won her first GP medals this season (her 3rd in the GP) and made the final. Her PCS scores are on the low side because she still hasn't impressed the judges as a major contender.

sigh. Am I the only one frustrated that skaters have to "prove themselves" with major titles in order to get high PCS. Evan, Joannie and Yu-na have seen astronomical PCS since last March, while the skaters who thrill me with thier musicality, interprtation and good skating skills are ignored. Ahh the politics of judging.

R.D.

Record Breaker
sigh. Am I the only one frustrated that skaters have to "prove themselves" with major titles in order to get high PCS. Evan, Joannie and Yu-na have seen astronomical PCS since last March, while the skaters who thrill me with thier musicality, interprtation and good skating skills are ignored. Ahh the politics of judging.

Nope, you're not.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, no? :sheesh:

I'm with you on that Chuck...I'm sick of hearing / reading about one or two falls being ok and that its great to keep them to a miminum...its so..."yah! you got all Cs!!! That's awesome!"

With Alissa I think its more like, "Yay! you got an A in Spins and an A in Spirals and an A+ in Pretty and ...aw, a D in Jumps. Well, young lady, how do you ever expect to get a job in the real world with a D in jumps? No TV for you until you bring that grade up." :biggrin:

inside edge

On the Ice
Originally Posted by poorScorer
Values of previous seasons are from ISU international competitions (6 GP, GPF, EC, FC, WC). While this year's one is limited to 6 GP results so far.

2007 | 2008 | 2009 | NAME
7.42 | 7.48 | 7.84 | Evan LYSACEK
7.76 | ----- | 7.75 | Daisuke TAKAHASHI
----- | ----- | 7.69 | Evgeni PLUSHENKO
6.75 | 7.55 | 7.67 | Patrick CHAN
6.29 | 7.24 | 7.48 | Jeremy ABBOTT
----- | 7.18 | 7.45 | Nobunari ODA
7.53 | 7.53 | 7.43 | Brian JOUBERT
7.25 | 7.37 | 7.29 | Tomas VERNER
7.41 | 7.40 | 7.11 | Johnny WEIR
6.22 | 7.11 | 6.99 | Takahiko KOZUKA

2007 | 2008 | 2009 | NAME
7.28 | 7.72 | 8.03 | Yu-Na KIM
6.64 | 7.33 | 7.54 | Joannie ROCHETTE
7.30 | 7.50 | 7.38 | Mao ASADA
6.96 | 7.10 | 7.17 | Miki ANDO
6.99 | 7.08 | 7.08 | Carolina KOSTNER
6.75 | 6.98 | 6.81 | Yukari NAKANO
5.99 | 6.45 | 6.73 | Alissa CZISNY
6.07 | 6.78 | 6.73 | Laura LEPISTO
5.88 | 6.39 | 6.61 | Ashley WAGNER
6.09 | 5.95 | 6.57 | Julia SEBESTYEN
----- | 5.61 | 6.56 | Alena LEONOVA
----- | 6.37 | 6.56 | Rachael FLATT

Last edited:

inside edge

On the Ice

Tinymavy!
you should look at the PCS progression charts.
I think you'd better make an opinion based on the fact.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
With Alissa I think its more like, "Yay! you got an A in Spins and an A in Spirals and an A+ in Pretty and ...aw, a D in Jumps. Well, young lady, how do you ever expect to get a job in the real world with a D in jumps? No TV for you until you bring that grade up." :biggrin:

Haha an A+ in pretty :laugh: . I wouldn't give Alissa a D in jumps, the Ds and Fs are reserved for the European ladies. I am still so pissed that Laura Lepisto won bronze at Skate Canada, Mirai's jumps, spins, spirals, and prettiness grades are all better or should be better. It's like ok you landed one 3lz, a 3lo, a 3lo-2t and a bunch of doubles! 2nd in the freeskate for sure! Is this a novice competition?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Careful, that grade's gonna depend on who you ask!!!!! ;)

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't think Alissa is beautiful. I guess if you have a problem with brunettes, then maybe. I feel like most skaters are pretty though

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't think Alissa is beautiful. I guess if you have a problem with brunettes, then maybe. I feel like most skaters are pretty though

Re. Alyssa you might be right, I dunno. But sure you can find exceptions...

skaters do wear a fair amount of make-up on the ice- generally I find most skaters look rather ordinary (i.e. indistinguishable from the crowd) in street wear. In fact, one could say that about most celebs as well...

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Re. Alyssa you might be right, I dunno. But sure you can find exceptions...

skaters do wear a fair amount of make-up on the ice- generally I find most skaters look rather ordinary (i.e. indistinguishable from the crowd) in street wear. In fact, one could say that about most celebs as well...

True, but I'd also say that most skaters (and any elite athletes for that matter) take good care of themselves, excercising a lot, eating healthy, getting enough sleep, and that stuff shows in their appearances.

I've always wondered though if skaters have social lives or not though, if they misbehave in their free time. I mean, does anyone know if someone like Mirai, Caroline, Alissa, or Rachael go out and get trashed and act promiscuous on the weekends with their friends? I would certainly hope not but I honestly wouldn't be surprised. I mean, they are American teenagers after all. I guess Alissa's not a teenager but still

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Nope, you're not.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, no? :sheesh:
How ling before we have another salt lake?
Tinymavy!
you should look at the PCS progression charts.
I think you'd better make an opinion based on the fact.

The progression charts prove me right. Evan, Joannie and certainly Yu-na show strong increases in PCS, with skaters like joubert, who has improves this season artitstically, actually dropping in scores.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

The progression charts prove me right. Evan, Joannie and certainly Yu-na show strong increases in PCS, with skaters like joubert, who has improves this season artitstically, actually dropping in scores.

This year! Yuna, Miki, Mao, and Joannie meltdown and Mirai steals the show and wins :love:! Haha only joking, but I'd love to see that happen :)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

So then the question becomes was Joubert marked fairly in the first place? While he might be improving artistically, one of his GP events was terrible (TEB), while the other one was tame (NHK). PCS isn't an artistic score, so I think the fact that his scores are lower now isn't that shocking.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So then the question becomes was Joubert marked fairly in the first place? While he might be improving artistically, one of his GP events was terrible (TEB), while the other one was tame (NHK). PCS isn't an artistic score, so I think the fact that his scores are lower now isn't that shocking.

I can't really decide this one, but I think it will be Evan, Daisuke, and Jubert on the Oly podium, in whatever order. Also with an outside shot at Ryan Bradley sneaking on there

Layfan

Record Breaker
I can't really decide this one, but I think it will be Evan, Daisuke, and Jubert on the Oly podium, in whatever order. Also with an outside shot at Ryan Bradley sneaking on there

That's interesting... What about Plushenko and Oda? I love Ryan Bradley but he has pretty tough competition for even making the team from Weir and Abbott. All I know is the U.S. men's competition at national is going to be exciting and the Olympics is going to be a nail biter.Can't wait!!!!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
That's interesting... What about Plushenko and Oda? I love Ryan Bradley but he has pretty tough competition for even making the team from Weir and Abbott. All I know is the U.S. men's competition at national is going to be exciting and the Olympics is going to be a nail biter.Can't wait!!!!

I assumed US men Oly team would be Lysacek, Abbot, and Bradley, in that order, I guess I kind of forgot about Weir...not the biggest fan of his. Bradley is not as polished but he has huge jumps. Men is hard to predict, but Plushy kind of seems out of his element this season, just like his programs aren't best suited for him. As for Oda, anything could happen, but if Evan and Daisuke and Abbot are on, that would be a tall order