Will Mao make the Oly team? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Mao make the Oly team?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
But I am not sure if they have such flexible rules at this time. They used the "point system" last time to justify Miki's case. She was on the top of the list using that criteria. But I thought that Nationals is the most important factor for the two remaining spots, no?

I agree that they have spent too much money on Mao though. She doesn't even need it with all the sponsors for being the CM queen. I wish she used the money more usefully though. Where did all the money go? She somehow has among the most unfortunate coaching situation (with all my respect to TAT).

What does the Chukyo Univ do if both Mao and Miki are off the podium?

Since I am always facinated in skating's price tag, I'm interested in learning how you know Mao's spending habits around her endorsements. Is the above based on factual accounting and reporting or a fan's opinion that you would've preferred her securing a full-time coach?

I seriously hope Akiko makes the team, to me her skating is far superior to Yukari and Fumie. As for Mao, I don't think Japan would begrudge her a spot on the team, it they did, she could probably get a lawsuit and win. Just think, if she were allowed to have gone in 2006 she probably would have won the OGM. That being said, I hope she gets it together. She seems to have a very bad attitude I noticed, at both TEB and COR she sat in the Kiss and Cry brooding and picking at her glove, she looked bored and pissed off. When most other skaters skate poorly, they look sad or cry, Mao just looks mopey

You should write a memo detailing proper K&C behavior...but seriously - people react to situations differently and that should be respected.

And yes, Mao will be on the Olympic Team and she will do her best and either win, medal or not.

The way I look at it, the Japanese Federation is in a win-win situation (in contrast with the USFSA) because they have three spots on the Olympic team.

Miki's in. If Yukari or Akiko or Fumie or someone else wins Nationals, they can send their national champion and still have plenty of room for Mao just on general principles. The general principle being that, in spite of everything, she is still one of the best skaters in the world -- maybe one of the best ever. :yes:

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
Mao is in even if she totally bombs at the Nationals, IMO. The only thing that will keep her off the team is if she is injured.

Ivana

On the Ice
IMO Mao is a lock, it does not matter how she performs at Nationals, she'll be in Vancouver. With Ando getting the second spot, it will be a fight between Suzuki & Nakano for the third one.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Even if she goes there, is TAT available full time?

I believe this season's series of 'Ice age' (Russian skating with celebs tv-show) end around Christmas. After that, TAT might start wondering what's Mao up to.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I believe this season's series of 'Ice age' (Russian skating with celebs tv-show) end around Christmas. After that, TAT might start wondering what's Mao up to.

She needs to leave TAT, their relationship is obviously not working out. Why did Mao leave Artunian again? She was doing very well in competitions when she was with him...

Nadia01

Final Flight
She needs to leave TAT, their relationship is obviously not working out. Why did Mao leave Artunian again? She was doing very well in competitions when she was with him...

Rafael can't help Mao either if she's unwilling to leave Japan to train fulltime with her coach.

Tat is coaching Mao part-time b/c Mao refuses to leave Japan.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Rafael can't help Mao either if she's unwilling to leave Japan to train fulltime with her coach.

Tat is coaching Mao part-time b/c Mao refuses to leave Japan.

Was Mao having homesickness problems? I thought she liked living in the US judging from all the attention she was getting

Nadia01

Final Flight
I feel very sad for Mao too. She used to be so bubbly and smiling all the time on TV. Now you rarely see her smile. She looks absolutely miserable at times. I think she was almost in tears after Rostelecom Cup LP. (Some @#$% reporters went after her for an interview / comment, and she barely said anything...)

suosuo

Rinkside
i think it was really her mom.

I know that Mao's mom wants TAT to be Mao's coach. But I never heard anything that it is Mao's mom that wants Mao to live in Japan. And I think Mao also wants to be TAT's student because of TAT's reputation.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I know that Mao's mom wants TAT to be Mao's coach. But I never heard anything that it is Mao's mom that wants Mao to live in Japan. And I think Mao also wants to be TAT's student because of TAT's reputation.

What I mean is Mao's mom is the one who's homesick, but I don't think she's going to let her daughter live overseas alone.

suosuo

Rinkside
What I mean is Mao's mom is the one who's homesick, but I don't think she's going to let her daughter live overseas alone.

We have no clue of this, so I think it's unfair to bring Mao's mom in this,sigh.

Nadia01

Final Flight
We have no clue of this, so I think it's unfair to bring Mao's mom in this,sigh.

I've read elsewhere that Mao's mom was homesick and didn't get along with Rafael very well b/c Rafael wanted Mao to practice jumps, but Mao's mom thought it was unnecessary to work on Mao's technique.

Also Japanese mothers tend to be very protective of their children, esp. daughters. I know some women who call their daughters "(my) lil child" or something even tho their daughters are like 25!

Furthermore, in Japan, you aren't considered an adult until you're 20. So technically Mao is still a minor in Japan.

Given such situation, I highly doubt Mao's mom's going to be okay with Mao moving to Russia alone to train with Tat.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Since I am always facinated in skating's price tag, I'm interested in learning how you know Mao's spending habits around her endorsements. Is the above based on factual accounting and reporting or a fan's opinion that you would've preferred her securing a full-time coach?

Thanks for pointing out. I acknowledge that it was a misleading post as I see your point. I as a fan was just frustrated that Mao does not have the best coaching situation, the best costumes, or the best music despite all the monetary resources. But it was never intended to suggest that she is wasting money on anything. Mao seems pretty modest. Mai says that Mao is not very decisive and thinks so much even before buying something worth 1000 yen ($10).

Last edited:

suosuo

Rinkside
I've read elsewhere that Mao's mom was homesick and didn't get along with Rafael very well b/c Rafael wanted Mao to practice jumps, but Mao's mom thought it was unnecessary to work on Mao's technique.

Also Japanese mothers tend to be very protective of their children, esp. daughters. I know some women who call their daughters "(my) lil child" or something even tho their daughters are like 25!

Furthermore, in Japan, you aren't considered an adult until you're 20. So technically Mao is still a minor in Japan.

Given such situation, I highly doubt Mao's mom's going to be okay with Mao moving to Russia alone to train with Tat.

Well,thank you for letting me know this.