Received a language infraction | Golden Skate

Received a language infraction

prettykeys

Medalist
I received a language infraction but my intent was misunderstood. I did not realize that Golden Skate automatically censors profanity (because I have never attempted to write any profanity before), and by partially censoring myself, it seems to have been mistakenly interpreted as me attempting to circumvent the censorship rules.

Please consider removing the infraction, although I will not object further if nothing is done and I'll just tippy-toe my way ever more carefully.

:)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
prettykeys, what you wrote definitely used as a curse word, to curse Americans. Not only that, but you used a huge font, so everyone was sure to read it. In fact if you had written Curse All the French or Curse All the Koreans, etc, the mods wouldn't have liked that either. Insulting national or ethnic groups is not cool here.

Bitching, as it is used in the post you quoted means complaining, and is not cursing anyone, or swearing. If you called someone a *****, that would be edited out, because that is an insult.

There are three issues with your infracted post:

Swear words, which are forbidden on GS, because we are a family rated forum and have quite a few young skaters who are posters here. We do not allow swear words, including abbreviations or partially blocked versions of them either. If you are in any doubt what words might be forbidden, you might have an enjoyable time reading George Carlin on the subject of swear words, and how his comedy routine on the subject has been the source of a Supreme Court verdict on what you can and cannot say on TV in the US. ***** is not on the list now, nor was it in 1972.

Ethnic and racials insults are forbidden.

And ranting is forbidden, and insulting other posters.

If you have any questions about the Guidelines, there is a link to them in my signature. If after reading them, you still have any questions about the Guidelines, the Feedback forum is a good way to air them.

prettykeys

Medalist
prettykeys, what you wrote definitely used as a curse word, to curse Americans. Not only that, but you used a huge font, so everyone was sure to read it. In fact if you had written Curse All the French or Curse All the Koreans, etc, the mods wouldn't have liked that either. Insulting national or ethnic groups is not cool here.
No, I was not cursing Americans at all. Perhaps there is a generational gap, but it was a reference to a satirical movie/parody called Team America: World Police. You should also be aware that in general use, the phrase "**** YEAH" is a term of celebration, not a curse. Hence, "America!!! **** YEAH" is not a curse.

Bitching, as it is used in the post you quoted means complaining, and is not cursing anyone, or swearing. If you called someone a *****, that would be edited out, because that is an insult.
There is still a good reason to object to using the term "bitching", "in a family rated forum." I am surprised you think it is OK to use it in ordinary speech around children even if there is no hostility or insult involved.

There are three issues with your infracted post:

Swear words, which are forbidden on GS, because we are a family rated forum and have quite a few young skaters who are posters here. We do not allow swear words, including abbreviations or partially blocked versions of them either. If you are in any doubt what words might be forbidden, you might have an enjoyable time reading George Carlin on the subject of swear words, and how his comedy routine on the subject has been the source of a Supreme Court verdict on what you can and cannot say on TV in the US. ***** is not on the list now, nor was it in 1972.

Ethnic and racials insults are forbidden.

And ranting is forbidden, and insulting other posters.

If you have any questions about the Guidelines, there is a link to them in my signature. If after reading them, you still have any questions about the Guidelines, the Feedback forum is a good way to air them.
Firstly, I did not write any swear words. It was letter-dash-dash-letter. As I explained, I censored myself, and I see no reason why it is worse than "bitching", but now I know that this word is allowed, I suppose, and does not fall under GS's considerations of "profanity". I also did not engage in ethnic and racial insult. I did, however, taunt HCOSurfer about his biased pro-American (which he admitted in PM) nit-picking at an accomplished Canadian skater, and the reference to the satire/parody movie was in line with his attitude that something American is "better" (or "the best") because it is American. I actually love the United States of America, but national love or hate was not the topic of my post.

Disagree, if you must. But I thought you should know, because you seem unaware of these issues.

I am finished with this topic. :) Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to me.

Last edited:
I recognized it too and was pleased to find another fan of that movie. It's brilliant! In fact I just wrapped up my copy to send to a friend who I think might enjoy it too.