The front runners for Euros | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The front runners for Euros

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think that an Italian lady on the top of the podium is possible (whoever skates cleaner), and then Leonova and Lepisto will be there...
I'm rooting also for Meier, always loved her style, and Makarova, Korpi, Sebestyen will be spoilers.

Why does everyone think Lepisto will definitely medal? I know she's reigning champ but she's been doubling most of her jumps this season, usually landing only 3 clean triples in the long program. Sometimes she will land 4 triples but is that really worthy of a medal?

Makarova is only a spoiler because she's new to the senior scene, she is a very polished skater with good technical difficulties and smooth landings. She did very well at the JGPF where the girls that placed ahead of her all landed 6 clean triples in the FS, more than most of the competition at Euros can be counted to land. Laura won last year with 4 triples and I think Ksenia is a better overall skater and has a 3-3 and is likely to land 6 triples.

Oh and Ksenia Makarova just won Russian nationals, beating Alena Leonova, and her score was 178. That's 11 points higher than Laura's gold medal score of 167 at Euros last year. I don't know if Russian Nationals scores are inflated like they are in the US, but I think Ksenia has a very good shot at making the podium at Euros.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Why does everyone think Lepisto will definitely medal? I know she's reigning champ but she's been doubling most of her jumps this season, usually landing only 3 clean triples in the long program. Sometimes she will land 4 triples but is that really worthy of a medal?

IMO, Lepisto is not the strongest skater, but usually she is clean and that could be a point on her side if the others mess up, due to nerves...
then she's defending champion and she's won her nats, so I give her a chance :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
IMO, Lepisto is not the strongest skater, but usually she is clean and that could be a point on her side if the others mess up, due to nerves...
then she's defending champion and she's won her nats, so I give her a chance :)

Laura just one Finnish nationals with ONE triple (3loop) in the FS, her SP was really good though, anyhow her score was 167. That is inflated because it is nationals. I expect Ksenia Makarova will beat her at Euros unless Laura can do a FS with 5 clean triples. I think the last time she did that was worlds.

Kissx3

Final Flight
I still think this one is Leonova's competition, barring a shocking good performance from Kostner or possibly Meier.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I still think this one is Leonova's competition, barring a shocking good performance from Kostner or possibly Meier.

Meier is injured, so I don't think that will happen. I love Carolina's programs this year but there's no way of knowing how she will do, it's different at every competition.

I predict the podium at Euros will be: Leonova, Makarova, Kostner in whichever order.

Kostner has a good reputation and good PCS even if the jumps aren't really there they won't let her fall too low.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
Kostner has a good reputation and good PCS even if the jumps aren't really there they won't let her fall too low.

And sometimes it feels unfair like in Worlds 2009. Her PCS were way too high.

My suggestions for the podium are (not in order):

Lepistö
Korpi
Leonova
Meier
Kostner

Personally I don't like the style of Leonova. She is too hasty and "sporty" - don't misunderstand me, I know this is sport, but for me figure skating is also peace of art and I don't get that feeling from Leonova's programs (I didn't like Slutskaya style either...)

Shaba22

Final Flight
Top6 - Top10

Ksenia MAKAROVA (RUS)
Alena LEONOVA (RUS)
Valentina MARCHEI (ITA)
Carolina KOSTNER (ITA)
Sarah MEIER (SUI)
Laura LEPISTÖ (FIN)
Kiira KORPI (FIN)
Susanna PÖYKIÖ (FIN)
Julia SEBESTYEN (HUN)
Elena GLEBOVA (EST)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Top 10 Top 5

Ksenia Makarova
Alena Leonova
Kiira Korpi
Laura Lepisto
Julia Sebestyen
Carolina Kostner
Elena Glebova
Elene Gedevanishvilli
Sarah Meier
Valentina Marchei

I don't think Polykio will make it, she's been doing mostly doubles all season and still is suffering from her shin splints. I never know what to expect from Elene G but when she's on she's very good.

Shaba22

Final Flight
Gedevanishvili has no flip and no loop, but has a 3T+3T combination. If she will do clean programs, she can be in top10 or top5 too.

schiele

Final Flight
Wow, not a lot of ppl are interested in betting for men despite the return of two giants.. :)
There is my prediction in the picture below. Just changes places of Lambiel and Joubert..

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Gedevanishvili has no flip and no loop, but has a 3T+3T combination. If she will do clean programs, she can be in top10 or top5 too.

I didn't know that, about the flip, I used to like her flip jumps. She can still do lutz though and when she does and lands her triples she should get +GOEs because of the size of her jumps.

There are a lot of ladies that could end up in the top 10 at Euros, I feel like most of them have the potential to be very good, it just depends on whether or not they actually do their triples. What day does Euros start?

ankka

Rinkside
Laura just one Finnish nationals with ONE triple (3loop) in the FS, her SP was really good though, anyhow her score was 167. That is inflated because it is nationals. I expect Ksenia Makarova will beat her at Euros unless Laura can do a FS with 5 clean triples. I think the last time she did that was worlds.

I think one should not forget that Laura has the tendency to skate a lot better under pressure than otherwise. Last year her Nationals were a huge mess (one triple in SP and two bad ones in FS) but she did very well in the Worlds and, of course, the Europeans. She admitted that in this year's Nationals she had difficulties in concentrating.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think one should not forget that Laura has the tendency to skate a lot better under pressure than otherwise. Last year her Nationals were a huge mess (one triple in SP and two bad ones in FS) but she did very well in the Worlds and, of course, the Europeans. She admitted that in this year's Nationals she had difficulties in concentrating.

I wouldn't doubt it. Her SP at nationals this year was really good though. Laura is usually pretty clean, just doesn't really land more than 3 or 4 triplesin the FS usually. At Europeans this shouldn't be an issue but at the Olympics I don't really think she has a shot at medaling considering a lot of other ladies attempt and often land 6-7 triples in the FS.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
I wouldn't doubt it. Her SP at nationals this year was really good though. Laura is usually pretty clean, just doesn't really land more than 3 or 4 triplesin the FS usually. At Europeans this shouldn't be an issue but at the Olympics I don't really think she has a shot at medaling considering a lot of other ladies attempt and often land 6-7 triples in the FS.

And even she landed 6 triples, she wouldn't probably get so high TES because she doesn't have a flip at all and only one lutz. And nasty to say - she hardly ever survives her 3Lz. I think she has done 3lz in competition probably 3 or 4 times during last 2 years. Her spins are one of the best in the world, though.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
And even she landed 6 triples, she wouldn't probably get so high TES because she doesn't have a flip at all and only one lutz. And nasty to say - she hardly ever survives her 3Lz. I think she has done 3lz in competition probably 3 or 4 times during last 2 years. Her spins are one of the best in the world, though.

In the European field, yes her spins are great. Alissa, Mirai, Caroline, and Sasha have even better spins though. And I agree about the lutz. She also seems to pop her 3t-3t into a 2t-2t quite frequently. Too bad, she's a nice skater to watch.