Why Mao Asada Has History On Her Side | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why Mao Asada Has History On Her Side

janetfan

Match Penalty
I prefer the artistic and poetic skaters as well. And I think that if Asada, Kim, Rochette, Kostner were to all deliver their absolute best, Ando would be off the Olympic podium. But the facts are how likely are all of these skaters to actually deliver? Kostner is a head case of epic proportions, Rochette looks like she's reverting to her old form and has never been the greastest of competitors herself. And Asada seems all over the place. Even Kim looks like the pressure is getting to her.

As for Ando, I was just trying to point out that her basic skating puts her at another league than lets say a Rachael Flatt. And Akiko is no Sasha or Mao.

As for Ando's PCS, Ando gets decent PCS for her strong basic skating, and for the fact that she's a world champion and the reigning world bronze medalist. She's not the most artistic skater in the world, but at her best she can connect to a crowd. I think that her free program this year is not something I'm in love with but I think that it suits her. And I think that if she were to revert back to Cup of Russia's costume, she could potentially look stunning out there. (That was a stunning costume/look for her)

Good points and I agree with you. I hate the dress Miki wore for her LP at the GPF. As to being over marked this season - Miki said it herself and I agree with her.
I don't think we have seen a good Miki yet this season. She has been better than Rochette - but that is not saying much.

They both can skate alot better and hopefully we will see it in Vancouver.

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
Thanks - and I wonder why Miki did NOT try and win a title that was within her reach with a good skate?

It is funny because Miki is a skater I like and sometimes I do enjoy her skating.
But Miki could skate twice as fast as Sasha or Mao and I would always prefer their skating more. It is subjective and in my case I prefer the more artistic and poetic skaters.

Miki has a good chance to medal and even though I dislike both her programs I wish her luck. I don't think she will need it as ISU has been overmarking her all year.

It’s interesting to me that you constantly dismiss Miki and don’t bother to notice her exquisitely delicate body, hands, and fingertips movements in her programs like Scheherazade ( which I gave a YouTube link example of in the GFP Ladies LP thread) , Memoirs of a Geisha, Samson et Delila, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence or her Requiem exhibitions.

This is surprising, since you seem to be saying that artistry is important to you.

And yet apparently you didn’t even notice these kinds of things.

It absolutely amazes me that some people can’t see that.

And no, her style is not Ballet, it's usually more of a Balinese Dancing style.

I certainly won't be reading your posts looking for information about artistry.

Alot of people were absolutely raving about Miki’s artistry, yes her artistry, in her Requiem exhibitions.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Thanks - and I wonder why Miki did NOT try and win a title that was within her reach with a good skate?

There was no reason for Miki to risk doing difficult elements at GPF at all b/c her competition wasn't Mao (who was absent) or Yuna (who is not Japanese), but Akiko.

Miki's goal was to score higher than Akiko, to ensure that she gets a spot on the Oly team, which she did.

So mission accomplished.

I think that if Mao had been there and skated well or if Yuna had been a Japanese skater, Miki would've tried 3/3 to beat them.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Good points and I agree with you. I hate the dress Miki wore for her LP at the GPF. As to being over marked this season - Miki said it herself and I agree with her.
I don't think we have seen a good Miki yet this season. She has been better than Rochette - but that is not saying much.

They both can skate alot better and hopefully we will see it in Vancouver.

You cannot compare Miki though to Joannie. Ando hasn't been great but at Cup of Russia and at the GPF she was decent. I think you could argue that her free skate at NHK even though not good was perhaps even still better than Rochettes. Rochette has looked out of control these last few competitions.

Ando IS a late season skater who does tend to get better as the season progresses, from what I've seen of her....She seems to really step it up a notch at Worlds the last few times I've seen her too. Joannie though I don't think is that type of skater at all.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
It’s interesting to me that you constantly dismiss Miki and don’t bother to notice her exquisitely delicate body, hands, and fingertips movements in her programs like Scheherazade ( which I gave a YouTube link example of in the GFP Ladies LP thread) , Memoirs of a Geisha, Samson et Delila, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence or her Requiem exhibitions.

This is surprising, since you seem to be saying that artistry is important to you.

And yet apparently you didn’t even notice these kinds of things.

It absolutely amazes me that some people can’t see that.

And no, her style is not Ballet, it's usually more of a Balinese Dancing style.

I certainly won't be reading your posts looking for information about artistry.

Alot of people were absolutely raving about Miki’s artistry, yes her artistry, in her Requiem exhibitions.

Different strokes for different folks. It looks to me as if Akiko has more musicality in her little pinky than Miki has in her whole body.
Morozov knows it and does the best he can disguising it with all that distracting armflapping in her LP this year.

I like Miki for certain aspects of her skating. I read comments from people who know her and say she is a very nice person.
I wish her good luck in Vancouver but I will never consider her as one of the more musical and artistic skaters.

Last edited:

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
Different strokes for different folks. Akiko has more musicality in her little pinky than Miki has in her whole body.
Morozov knows it and does the best he can disguising it with all that distracting armflapping in her LP this year.

I like Miki for certain aspects of her skating. I read comments from people who know her that say she is a very nice person.
I wish her good luck in Vancouver but I will never consider her as one of the more musical and artistic skaters.

Yes, definitely different strokes for different people.

And no, I don't see Akiko as more musical.

For me, an example of musical would be Stephane Lambiel.

Morosov has openly stated his opinion that Miki is superbly talented.

BTW, for ladies, besides Miki, I love Mao's artistry and YuNa Kim's artistry as well. And I appreciate them all in a different way. Because each of them are unique.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yes, definitely different strokes for different people.

And no, I don't see Akiko as more musical.

For me, an example of musical would be Stephane Lambiel.

Morosov has openly stated his opinion that Miki is superbly talented.

BTW, for ladies, besides Miki, I love Mao's artistry and YuNa Kim's artistry as well. And I appreciate them all in a different way. Because each of them are unique.

Good points and Morozov does his best for Miki.
When Caro began training with Frank Carroll he said "none of the other skaters are as beautiful and graceful as Carolina."

I have never thought of Caro as the most graceful skater simply because I see her off balance at times.

Comments from coaches have to be taken for what they are.

I will be rooting for Miki to do well in Vancouver and hope she skates well enough to win a medal. I feel that way about 10 other Ladies :) but I feel like Miki has a better chance than most.

I wish she would lose that new LP dress though. I found it very distracting.

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
Good points and Morozov does his best for Miki.
When Caro began training with Frank Carroll he said "none of the other skaters are as beautiful and graceful as Carolina."

I have never thought of Caro as the most graceful skater simply because I see her off balance at times.

Comments from coaches have to be taken for what they are.

I will be rooting for Miki to do well in Vancouver and hope she skates well enough to win a medal. I feel that way about 10 other Ladies :) but I feel like Miki has a better chance than most.

I wish she would lose that new LP dress though. I found it very distracting.

Of course comments from coaches have to be taken for what they are.

However, that also goes for comments from people in general, as well.

But seeing the number of times and heartfelt way that Morosov has praised Miki's talent, I take it that that is his true feeling.

Anyways, best of luck to Miki and all the skaters :)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Of course comments from coaches have to be taken for what they are.

However, that also goes for comments from people in general, as well.

But seeing the number of times and heartfelt way that Morosov has praised Miki's talent, I take it that that is his true feeling.

Anyways, best of luck to Miki and all the skaters :)

Can you explain further what you mean here?

Though we don't have a strong American women's field this year, we do have a strong world women's field, thank goodness. I think that I could be content with whoever wins, if it isn't a splatfest. Getting back to the original thread topic, I do hope that Mao skates lights out. And that YuNa does also! Beyond that, I don't have the strength of mind to choose.

Certainly Miki would do the medal proud if she wins it, though. And certainly Rochette would ! Just on general principle, it would be splendid for Canada to have an OGMedalist in Ladies.

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
Can you explain further what you mean here?

In other words, whoever is making a statement concerning a subjective opinion ( not only coaches ), one needs to consider where that person is coming from in making that statement, what is their own taste, what are their own favorite styles, whether they have bias, and this will all determine what they are saying. This will also determine the slant that they give to whatever they are saying.

french quarter

Rinkside
I feel bad for Mao, but nothing has changed in her training routine. Tat seems to be busy taking care of other skaters in Europe and Russia. Time to fix her situation is running out. I just want to see how she would do in the Japanese National.

About Yu-Na, I heard that Yu-Na team decided not to have any interviews and public appearances until the Olympics, except for the Olympic torch relay and a media day in Canada coming in a few days. Of course, no more TV commercial shooting until after the Olympics. I think that is a very smart decision because the media's obsessive attention created enormous pressure on her. Especially Korean and Japanese media are guilty of it. It's also good to have about 70 days to train without any competition because apparently she does well after a couple of months' break.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
In other words, whoever is making a statement concerning a subjective opinion ( not only coaches ), one needs to consider where that person is coming from in making that statement, what is their own taste, what are their own favorite styles, whether they have bias, and this will all determine what they are saying. This will also determine the slant that they give to whatever they are saying.

Thank you. I thought you were saying that what we say and what coaches say needs to be taken with an equal grain of salt (which I'd dispute). I agree with your explanation though.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
About Yu-Na, I heard that Yu-Na team decided not to have any interviews and public appearances until the Olympics, except for the Olympic torch relay and a media day in Canada coming in a few days. Of course, no more TV commercial shooting until after the Olympics. I think that is a very smart decision because the media's obsessive attention created enormous pressure on her. Especially Korean and Japanese media are guilty of it. It's also good to have about 70 days to train without any competition because apparently she does well after a couple of months' break.

That sounds like a good thing. Yuna does not normally quake under pressure, but now that she has become so good and is such a big name I feel like the pressure is even higher. She is the best female skater in the world right now. People can argue otherwise but she really is.

As for Mao and Miki, they are very talented and I think it will just come down to how they handle the pressure at the Olympics. Mao seems to make less mistakes at more important competitions which is good news. Miki seems to be the same way. I have seen Miki live and her jumps are very high and she is very fast, she is clearly very strong even though she is quite slender. I would be happy for Mao and Miki to make the Olympic podium with Yuna but would also not mind a surprise.

As for Carolina, even though she is unsteady there is a distinct beauty about her skating that the others lack. It's not like Sasha, Alissa, or Mao but different. She is fast and elegant and her long limbs make everything look very statuesque. Her SP at CoC this year was great, although unfortunately she seems to always struggle in the long

berrycute

On the Ice
As for Carolina, even though she is unsteady there is a distinct beauty about her skating that the others lack. It's not like Sasha, Alissa, or Mao but different. She is fast and elegant and her long limbs make everything look very statuesque. Her SP at CoC this year was great, although unfortunately she seems to always struggle in the long

Yes! I totally agree! But have you noticed that in several of her more recent competitions (obviously not CoC or 2009 Worlds) she has had problems in the short but come back strong in the long? I'm thinking 2009 Euros, 2009 Merano Cup, and 2008 Skate Canada (sort of). It's almost like she needs to stuff up at least one program per event!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yes! I totally agree! But have you noticed that in several of her more recent competitions (obviously not CoC or 2009 Worlds) she has had problems in the short but come back strong in the long? I'm thinking 2009 Euros, 2009 Merano Cup, and 2008 Skate Canada (sort of). It's almost like she needs to stuff up at least one program per event!

Yeah, I do know what you are talking about. And I actually think that will help her out at the Olympics and in future competitions. A lot of people can put out a good short but only a select few excel in the long.

I really hope Carolina does well at the Olympics! At least she won't have tons of pressure on her like last time when the games are in Italy, her FS this season is very beautiful

skatingpunk

Rinkside
http://auntjoyceicecreamstand.blogspot.com/2009/12/why-mao-asada-has-history-on-her-side.html

So many have counted Mao out. Her strategy is going to bite her in the behind...It's all Yu-Na all the time, she's lost it, Tarasova's ruined her, the programs are an affront to people with eyes...

One would be foolish to count her out. The last five ladies olympic champions all struggled considerably in the lead-up to the Games.

They've all lost before the Olympic Games more than once.

While it's true that the favorites have faltered at the Olympics before, I hardly think that Mao is now the automatic frontrunner to play spoiler. To be sure, she's had two months off and has had plenty of time to practice, but she's also said that she was "deeply ashamed" of her GP season performances. I think her psyche has taken a severe beating.

Everyone seems to be saying that Japan Nationals is the perfect place for Mao to find her feet again. I can't think of a worst place to make her "comeback". Because anything short of victory (heaven forbid she place lower than the likes of Suzuki or Nakano) adds fuel to the flames that Mao's fire has been extinguished, a once 15 year-old prodigy with a body somewhat past its jumping prime.

Miki has shown consistency. Akiko, abandon and joy. Alena, Rachel and Ashley, hunger. In a season where Team Mao was supposed to slay Queen Yuna, it seems they've fallen on their own triple-axel edged sword.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
While it's true that the favorites have faltered at the Olympics before, I hardly think that Mao is now the automatic frontrunner to play spoiler. To be sure, she's had two months off and has had plenty of time to practice, but she's also said that she was "deeply ashamed" of her GP season performances. I think her psyche has taken a severe beating.

Everyone seems to be saying that Japan Nationals is the perfect place for Mao to find her feet again. I can't think of a worst place to make her "comeback". Because anything short of victory (heaven forbid she place lower than the likes of Suzuki or Nakano) adds fuel to the flames that Mao's fire has been extinguished, a once 15 year-old prodigy with a body somewhat past its jumping prime.

Miki has shown consistency. Akiko, abandon and joy. Alena, Rachel and Ashley, hunger. In a season where Team Mao was supposed to slay Queen Yuna, it seems they've fallen on their own triple-axel edged sword.

Good analysis :agree: . I agree that Mao is probably a top spoiler for the OGM, but not a favorite after her rough season this year. Yuna is the favorite, and Joannie too because it's in Canada. It will be interesting to see what will happen, Mao and Yuna have never been to the Olympics before, Joannie and Miki didn't fair well last time, and I think it's safe to say the two Americans going will be partaking in their first Olympics (at this point I think Sasha will be a no-show at nats but who knows...). Yuna can probably afford to make a few errors and still win, but a fall or a pop, or a couple of these, could open the door to a number of ladies (Joannie, Mao, Miki, Akiko...).