Goebel's Non Scoring Event? | Golden Skate

Goebel's Non Scoring Event?

4dogknight

Final Flight
Tim was scheduled to skate in SKate America and Cup of China with NHK as his non scoring event. Because of the withdrawal from SA, does NHK now become a scored event for him? (the pdf spreadsheet at ISU still shows NHK as non-scoring)

If not, then accumulating enough points to participate in GPF is virtually out of his grasp and those boots become a very expensive item.

Can someone answer my question?

4dk

sk8m8

Final Flight
As I understand the GP series rules... NHK will not count as one of his scoring competitions. He will receive points from whatever placement he achieves at his remaining scoring event.

MK STILL got an invitation to the GPF with her win @ Skate America. She was further down on the points list, podium placements being all over the place last year got her into the mix.

The same COULD happen for Tim, IF the podium placment for the mens is as varied as the women's last year.

As for the total cost to Tim...who knows, if he ends up winning NHK , he still gets the prize money (and we have no idea what "deals" go along with Oly, World Medalist status. They may well recieve "performance fees" for showing up and adding to the draw of the event.)

As for Tim, I must say that missing the GP circuit didn't hurt him too much. In fact, it may have been the rest after a hectic Pre- and post Olympic season that allowed him to pull off the personal best skate he performed at last years Worlds

My last thought is perhaps the saddest... that the GPF crown almost has no significantstanding, IMHO, as far as prestige anymore. They have not been a great predictor of Worlds or the Olympics. Still some great skating to watch, though. That in itself may be justification enough to support it

Last edited:
...and we have no idea what "deals" go along with Oly, World Medalist status. They may well recieve "performance fees" for showing up and adding to the draw of the event.
That's something I have wondered about, too. Are any of the figure skating insiders on this board willing to spill the beans? I know that when Michelle stepped in at the last minute to "save Skate America" there were all sorts of rumors about "deals she couldn't refuse."
My last thought is perhaps the saddest... that the GPF crown almost has no significant standing, IMHO, as far as prestige anymore.
Money talks. If the popularity of figure skating, especially as a televised sport, is sufficient only to support national and world championships and the Olympics, then I agree, sadly, the Grand Prix Final will never amount to much.

But if the sport is successful in building an audience for it's season, and if revenues are sufficient that they can continue to offer big enough prizes to attract the top stars, then I think that the Grand Prix has potential to become "the regular season" for skating, with nationals and worlds as the "playoffs." That would go a long way toward making figure skating a "real sport" in the minds of the viewing public.

Mathman

Within the sport of figure skating I would guess the winner of the Grand Prix Final has some prestige, albeit, it fades in comparison to Worlds and Olys and even respecitve Nats.

If nothing else it serves a purpose for contestants by testing their routines leading up to their Nats.

I think the GP competitions and Final need a good shot of PR.

Joe