Anyone rooting for Fumie? | Golden Skate

Anyone rooting for Fumie?

Miki's already qualified for the Olympics, and Mao is a essentially a shoo-in. Akiko is getting a lot of love this year, but is anyone hoping that Fumie will make the team? Color me nostaligic, and call me crazy if you want :p because I know her best results and most exciting programs were years ago, but I really want to see the old gal end her long career with one last trip to the Olympics. :rock:

Thoughts?

prettykeys

Medalist
I'm rooting for the Japanese Ladies' Olympic FS team to be Miki, Mao, and Akiko...so I'm sorry to say I don't feel quite the same as you. ;) :biggrin:

☆Genie

Rinkside
She should go, Japanese has such a strong field of female skaters..
Fumie can place 3rd ahead of Yukari and Akkiko,but she will need to have them make mistakes.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I would like to see her make the team, but I can't image Mao, Miki and Akikio not going. So unless the Japanese make a bargain with the ISU to send four ladies, I am not sure if she should be on the team despite her improvements this year.

herro

On the Ice
I don't know. On one hand, I'm glad that Fumie is so passionate for skating. But on another hand, I sometimes wish that she'd just go away and retire already. :biggrin:

Her time is over as far as competitive skating goes. Even if she skates her best, she probably wouldn't medal at the Olympics. But that doesn't mean that she can't skate competitively anymore. She really enjoys it, so yea why not?

MKFSfan

Medalist
I adore Fumie, and she has a history of delivering great performances at Nationals. She's also pretty revered in Japan, with lots of sponsors, so that will all work in her favor. I do think Mao is a shoe-in, Miki already earned a spot. But to be honest...Akiko has steadily improved this season and her win at COC and Bronze at GPF is pretty big. And Yukari is bound to be in the mix. Japan Nationals will be VERY exciting!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Fumie is OLD. It's easy to forget because she still looks like a teenager from far away. But seriously I think she turns 30 this year. She's already been to the Olympics 3x and almost medaled at the last one. Plus it seems like she isn't really able to put up a good LP anymore. I think Akiko should go instead, but I prefer Fumie to Yukari

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Fumie is OLD. It's easy to forget because she still looks like a teenager from far away. But seriously I think she turns 30 this year.

well shoot call the nursing home! one of their wards must have escaped and grabbed a pair of skates!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
well shoot call the nursing home! one of their wards must have escaped and grabbed a pair of skates!

:laugh: Didn't mean that kind of old. It just seems in the US skaters peak at 15, so the fact that she's like double that age and still going strong is amazing!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
There a quite a few current skaters at the top of their game in dance, pairs and men who are in their mid 20's. S/Z are in their 30's. S/S are 24/30. P/T are 29/30and I don't hear any complaints about their age. But a woman skater who is 25+ is considered old, what is up with that.

I always liked Fumie's skating but for the last 2-3 years she has struggled with her programs and imo her skating has not been up to snuff. I really don't see Fumie medaling at her Nationals. Maybe injuries have taken their toll on Fumie.

Trewyn

Medalist
I have my doubts about Fumie's competitive programs... I was really rooting for her last year, and I was glad she won the freeskate at Nats and got her that world team ticket, but this year she just doesn't come off as inspiring. Akiko on the other hand, seems on fire! So, like a lot of people on here, I think it should be Miki, Mao and Akiko.
One thing: if Fumie sends in last years exhibition to 'Ein Wiener Wlatzer' as an audition to SOI or something; they should hire her! That was the most gorgeous ex I've seen last year!

Mafke

Medalist
Part of me likes Suguri's never-say-die stubbornness and old warrior going into battle for one last time attitude.

On the other hand, in a deep Japanese field with 5 credible skaters, I'd rather someone else went to Vancouver.

My Japanese dream team would be:

Ando - biggest diva out there at present, whether she's up or down, you at least know she won't be boring

Nakano - sentimental favorite who was screwed out of a spot on the team in 2006 and screwed out of a podium placement in 2008. If things are going to be unfair, I want them to be unfair to her advantage for once.

Suzuki - Not a personal favorite, but a fun skater, coming into her own.

I've never understood the appeal of Asada and unless she really turns things around at Japanese nats then I hope she's off the team.

ks777

Record Breaker
:laugh: Is she really a diva? I haven't heard that before though I can totally see it

No, She is actually a down to earth kinda person. She is said to be good friends with many of her competitiors. The biggest diva is probably Fumie.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
My team would be Fumie, Mao and Miki ( who has already made it. )
For some reason, Fumie doesn't look old.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
My team would be Fumie, Mao and Miki ( who has already made it. )
For some reason, Fumie doesn't look old.

Haha I know, she looks 15! And I heard Miki was friends with a lot of people from her rink, I've recently seen pictures and videos of her and Elene G. hanging out together. They both seem like nice happy people

krenseby

Final Flight
I have my doubts about Fumie's competitive programs... I was really rooting for her last year, and I was glad she won the freeskate at Nats and got her that world team ticket, but this year she just doesn't come off as inspiring. Akiko on the other hand, seems on fire! So, like a lot of people on here, I think it should be Miki, Mao and Akiko.
One thing: if Fumie sends in last years exhibition to 'Ein Wiener Wlatzer' as an audition to SOI or something; they should hire her! That was the most gorgeous ex I've seen last year!

Trewyn, although I am quite aware of Fumie's competitive accomplishments last year, I wasn't at all impressed with her LP. What did you think of it? (A question not just for Trewyn, but for all reading.)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Trewyn, although I am quite aware of Fumie's competitive accomplishments last year, I wasn't at all impressed with her LP. What did you think of it? (A question not just for Trewyn, but for all reading.)

I love her LP program from the 2008-2009 season but really am not fond of her LP this year, the music is too heavy and doesn't suit her. Plus she hasn't had a good performance with that LP yet this season. I really do like her short program this year though! :agree: