Article on Slutskaya's ilness | Golden Skate

Article on Slutskaya's ilness

sk8m8

Final Flight
Found this on Yahoo just a few minutes ago. I thought that her persistant cough was just part of her breathing, sorta like Tonya's asthma..

Yahoo Article

mpal2

Final Flight
Wow, I didn't realize it had gotten that bad for her. I wonder how this will impact her training this season. I know there is the late start, but I wonder how intense the return to training will be at first.

Thanks for the article sk8m8. This was just mentioned on the telecast of Skate America, too. Pericarditisfrom an unknown cause could indeed be very serious. Plus, her asthmatic condition is chronic and something that will probably plague her in one way or another all of her life.

The article ends hopefully, but I don't know whether we will see her in competition this year or not. It just shows how vulnerable we all are, even world class athletes. Irina has my best wishes and happiest hopes for the future.

Mathman

shdotz

On the Ice
Irrina's illness

Paracarditis is serious stuff.

Irina should be doubly careful and not push too hard. I think it would be better for her to turn pro than to do competitions.

I can never see her retiring from figure skating because she is a gorgeous skater and she always wears that beautiful smile.

I'm sorry she's been ill.

sh

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
Re: Irrina's illness

shdotz said:
Paracarditis is serious stuff.

Irina should be doubly careful and not push too hard. I think it would be better for her to turn pro than to do competitions.

I can never see her retiring from figure skating because she is a gorgeous skater and she always wears that beautiful smile.

I'm sorry she's been ill.

sh

My thoughts exactly on your last statement, sh! I love Irina so much and would not want to see her leave. :(

A real bummer for Irina. I'm not sure turning pro would be of any help. She still has to work hard at show business and bus touring? oooh..

Joe

ladybug

On the Ice
Once her condition is under control, it might be a good time for her to "born a baby". That would give her time to decide what she wants/or is able to do as far as figure skating goes.

She is such a beautiful skater, I would hate to see her walk away completely.

Wishes for a return to good health for Irina.

Ladybug

I wonder if the conditions in Russian ice rinks might be a factor? There have been quite a few studies on the poor air quality in even supposedly good rinks in the US and I don't in any way mean to bash Russia, but it's no secret that finances for sports and keeping the rinks open has been a problem there. It would be doubly heartbreaking if the very sport Irina loves and excels at aggravated her pulmonary problems.

I wish Irina the best and hope the Russian Federation can find a way to evaluate the air quality in their ice rinks.
Rgirl

windspirit

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
I wonder if the conditions in Russian ice rinks might be a factor?
As I remember from the interview I translated last December it was indeed the case. Let's see if I can find it... OK, I did. Some fragments (the comments in square brackets are mine):

"I own a three-room apartment, but it's on the last floor. The ceiling has cracks in it and the walls freeze. As for the time being I don't have a dacha. It's not so great with other things: even though I have so many titles I don't have a place to train. In what conditions I do it... [I won't even say]. Well, before the Olympics I was allowed to skate for two weeks at the newly built rink in Odintsovo. Beside that, one time a year I go to train in Sweden and for OFP [general physical training/warmup] I go to the French Alps. It's like a fairy tale there. And here... You practice for one day and it's enough to put you in the hospital."

[...]

- Last question: what are your future plans?

- But what plans? It's simple. The program minimum: a European champion, the maximum: a world champion. I will go to the GPF if my health allows it. Like I said: I have to practice in bad conditions. I don't want to leave the sport, I like to perform - competitions are like holidays for me. But when there's zero degrees at the rink and you have a chronic bronchitis it's hard to make plans.

Here's a link to the original:
http://www.gzt.ru/rubricator.gzt?rubric=sport&id=29550000000003223

I posted my translation at FSU, but it's gone by now, I'm sure.

Windspirit - I am most impressed by your translating which I presume is from Russian into English. May I ask if you are a Translator or Interpreter by profession?

I remember when I was a kid that ice rinks were not considered a healthy place to be in for an extended amount of time, but I would think the equipment nowadays would be much improved for health concerns.

I'm just wondering if the Russian Federation couldn't do something about this problem, if one exists.

Joe

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Based on this being pericarditis, I hope Irina takes it slow. Even though she has been cleared, this will not be the easiest recovery. It might take some time before she gets back to full strength. Good luck and good health to her. Personally, I wish she would skip the GP and just take her time and heal for Russian Nationals and Worlds.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And if Russian rinks are a problem, move herself and her mother to the Swiss fairy tale rinks. Oh Irina, do take care of yourself. Your smile alone makes the world a brighter place.
dpp

Excidra2001

On the Ice
DORISPULASKI said:
And if Russian rinks are a problem, move herself and her mother to the Swiss fairy tale rinks. Oh Irina, do take care of yourself. Your smile alone makes the world a brighter place.
dpp

I don't think it's that easy to up and leave Russia with her mother since Irina is married and her husband has a job in Russia, plus don't take her father out of the equation.
To be honest, I don't think Irina wants to leave her home country, she would come to America if she wanted to leave. Also, Zhanna Gromova(Irina's coach) has few students plus Irina, so it would be really hard for her to leave with Irina.

I'm glad Irina is out of the hospital and doing a lot better. Even though I was hoping she would drop out of the GP series, i'm kinda glad she's still doing because i'm anxious in seeing her new programs.

Good luck Irina.

windspirit

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Windspirit - I am most impressed by your translating which I presume is from Russian into English. May I ask if you are a Translator or Interpreter by profession?
No, it's just a hobby, but thanks for the compliment. :)

As for the conditions at Russian rinks, I've been hearing people complaining about them for years. I guess the main reason is money. What surprises me, though, is the fact that even if you're an elite skater it doesn't make much difference.

Yubileiny (Plushenko's rink in Petersburg) was renovated a few years ago, and everything was supposed to be great (they had their share of problems before), but after what I've just read at Lambiel's web site ("The training conditions in Yubileiny aren't very good indeed [...]") I'm not so sure.

Btw, I remember seeing some photos of Irina, where it looked like she was training (off ice) in some room that looked like a combination of a utility room and a mudroom. http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/oczki.gif

Many skaters and coaches have moved to America because of bad training conditions in Russia. But some can't, or don't want to. It's not as easy as it may seem. It's easier if you're single, but if you're married and have a close family to take care of... It takes a lot of planning; money; getting used to; heartache, etc.

wvgal57

On the Ice
her mom's illness too

Irina's mom is on a waiting list for a kidney and Irina takes her for dialysis 3 days a week. Irina just can't pack up and leave to train elsewhere and her dad is also not in the best of health. Consider her husband is employed as a Physical Education instructor at some university there and it makes sense that she'd stay close to her family unit.

Perhaps Irina could make arrangements to use Odinstov quite a bit now and I do understand that a newly renovated ice arena is available now which she has been using along with a couple different rinks, hopefully to find better conditions.

Irina vacationed in early August for a week but she had really been sick the whole last part of her COI tour. She most likely felt a much needed break was what she needed since she had not had a vacation in over 2 years, but once she returned home and was not any better she started seeking more detailed medical attention. She was treated in August and September and spent time in 3 different hospitals for treatment.

I hope she has made the right decision to do her GP events. Pneumonia is serious enough without all the other things to go along with it and her stamina will be an issue. Theres no doubt the desire to compete is still there and the love for the sport because Irina has had 2 tough fall training seasons now. Hopefully the diagnosis is correct and it is being treated properly,

imanta

Rinkside
Pericarditis can definitely be a serious condition. I hope it does not imply that there is some sort of underlying illness that caused it. I imagine her doctors looked into that. Does anyone remember if her mom's kidney problem was sudden? Because having to be on dialysis now when we think she just got sick less than a year ago means whatever caused the kidney problem was significant. Some autoimmune diseases can cause both types of problems (kidney and pericarditis) and can run in families as well. Of course that is in general as I don't know any information on Irina and her mom other than what has been from news sources and skating boards.