Yuna Kim | Page 78 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Wow.

That's the kind of achievement that the word prodigy was coined to define. No wonder this kid's been the talk of skating since she showed up. And amazing that she showed up in a country that had no skating tradition to speak of. These little miracles happen in sports, the arts, and science sometimes--some homegrown genius just appears. Isn't it grand?

csunny7

Rinkside
Wonder if many Yuna fans already know this but I never knew that Yuna wanted to be a singer, an Olympic championa and a MATHEMATICIAN when she was 14.
Sep. 10th, 2004 articel(I was not interested in this promising junior skater then and most Koreans didn't know her so I have never read this articel until yesterday) :
http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=107&oid=032&aid=0000084272

Sorry I cannot translate this article but it is so, so interesting.

- Solving equations were so much fun to her. Her favorite subject was mathematics because it was most 'neat.' She could not go to school everyday because she always had to train until midnight but she wanted to study well and actually studied well. She hit the books almost all the time when she was not training. She got the second best grades in her class!

- Fun loving girl who wanted to play and to eat some snacks like pizza with friends but those small desires did not always come true.

- She confessed that whenever she felt skating was too much for her, she went to her mom to protest, crying. "I hate myself being such a crybaby. Feel sorry for hardworking mom. But if I continue to win like this time(GPS junior), she will forget her being heartbroken."
HaHa, I've never seen this article, and thank you for posting it. Yuna is SO CUTE and very SMART . Moreover, she is such a good daughter. I can feel she is a sort of perfectionist . I love the fact she likes mathmatics as it is so "neat" -- so Yunarish!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

csunny7

Rinkside
Wow.

That's the kind of achievement that the word prodigy was coined to define. No wonder this kid's been the talk of skating since she showed up. And amazing that she showed up in a country that had no skating tradition to speak of. These little miracles happen in sports, the arts, and science sometimes--some homegrown genius just appears. Isn't it grand?

Yes, it's absolutely grand. Yuna is a real prodigy and miracle in figure skaing. She's just amazing :love:
In this respect, I think we should give some credit to Korean coaches who taught "correct jump basics " to little Yuna. I'd like to give big applaude to them. Cool!

Last edited:
That's a great point, csunny. (By contrast, look at Caroline Zhang, who would be a lot further along now if her jump technique weren't so faulty and her skating so slow!) I'll applaud YuNa's early coaches along with you. They didn't let YuNa take shortcuts that would lead to short-term results but undermine her progress in the long run. She had nothing to unlearn as she grew taller and took on full-length senior programs. I also felt the same thing about Michelle, whose work with Frank Carroll made her a meticulous technician as well as artistically superior. Thanks for reminding us of the importance of careful early training.

cosmos

On the Ice
That's a great point, csunny. (By contrast, look at Caroline Zhang, who would be a lot further along now if her jump technique weren't so faulty and her skating so slow!) I'll applaud YuNa's early coaches along with you. They didn't let YuNa take shortcuts that would lead to short-term results but undermine her progress in the long run. She had nothing to unlearn as she grew taller and took on full-length senior programs. I also felt the same thing about Michelle, whose work with Frank Carroll made her a meticulous technician as well as artistically superior. Thanks for reminding us of the importance of careful early training.
Perhaps, she was lucky she was born in Korea? It wasn't necessary at all to take a short cut in Korea, because it was hardly imaginable for any body to get a medal in an ISU event.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Perhaps, she was lucky she was born in Korea? It wasn't necessary at all to take a short cut in Korea, because it was hardly imaginable for any body to get a medal in an ISU event.

She was lucky that she watched MK skate growing up ;D

YunaBliss

On the Ice
haha, it's hilarious how each person's facial expression matches the pumpkins. Great to see Yuna enjoying Halloween and also sharing such pics with her fans.

Lilith11

On the Ice
^ Just magical. Her first two jumps-wow. Don't get me wrong, Yu-na's jumps are great but in competition, you can always see this slight tensing before she jumps- but here, she just floats in and out of the jump with the most sublime grace. Gorgeous.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Winning Scores didn't change much from 2009 to 2010...if Yuna and Joannie didn't compete in 2009

2009 Winning Scores----------------2010 Winning Scores
NHK... Ando 162.55------------------Kostner 164.61
SC.... Czisny 163.53(2nd)------------Czisny 172.37...........Joannie's Winning Score was 182.90 in 2009
CoC... Akiko 176.66------------------Ando 172.21

CoR....Ando 171.93------------------ ??????????????
SA.....Flatt 174.91(2nd)--------------??????????????..........Yuna's Winning Score was 187.98
TEB....Mao 173.99(2nd)-------------- ??????????????..........Yuna's Winning Score was 210.03

parma

On the Ice
Looks like Yuna and David Wilson worked on her new SP in LA as planned... there are a couple of pictures of the two just uploaded at Yunakim.com.