Yuna Kim | Page 73 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

"Fan," (plural, "fen") > Latin fanaticus, > L. fanum, "temple": a person driven into an insane frenzy by a god. – or, in this case, by a pair of goddesses.

:cheer: :biggrin:

ROTFL---

Though of course I feel that we fans are driven sane by skating, after life unhinges us.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Forgive me if the answer is buried somewhere earlier in this thread . . . which ISU event is this referring to?

That was the 2009 World Team Trophy. Rachael, Caroline, Evan and Jeremy each won $30,000. The pairs skaters ( Caydee Denney / Jeremy Barrett ) and ice dancers ( Tanith / Ben ) won somewhat less.

seniorita

Record Breaker
From the news it looks like Orser was not even in the equation of the split. Yuna won the Gold and simply moved on, what to do in Toronto anymore. And she will have more oportunities and offers in the new place probably, besides as a 20 year old, LA sounds exciting!:biggrin:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'm not 100% of this (and credit to yunameter@YKF for pointing this out) but at 1:20, was Yu-na practising her leg turnout/extension here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT6WQa8xXI0 ?

Very intriguing. Well, turnout is one of the very few things Yuna has to improve on ... Aunt Joyce brought up expression. I know some find Yu-na to lack a bit of warmth of the ice but to me the most important thing is that she's herself. She shouldn't try to be Michelle Kwan or something.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I am well aware that Yuna has said she intended to compete at Worlds 2011. I believe she was sincere when she made those statements. But that event has yet to happen. I stand by my previous statement: I do not believe we will see her again at eligible competition. If Worlds rolls around and she shows up and competes, I will be happy to return to this thread, eat my words and say "I was wrong."

As to why she didn't just declare retirement, I can think of 2 reasons right away, either alone or in combination: 1) Yuna herself was undecided at the time whether to continue with eligible or clean-break and announce the end. This is where family dynamic (esp Mama) may come into play, but we don't really know. 2) Business Strategy. Often it works in your favor to keep people guessing a while as to your next moves.

As to why she feels she needs a coach...plenty of skaters that turn pro still use one or more coaches, as developing one's skating always needs a fresh pair of eyes and advice. No matter how good you are. Taking on Oppegard--or anybody else--as a coach is not by itself a reliable determinant of intention to stay eligible or not. And I think it would be a mistake to assume that Yuna is looking to re-create with Oppegard, the dynamic that existed between herself and Orser over the last few years.

As to why she moved to L.A. I said it before. If you wish to be able to deal more directly with the Sports and Entertainment world as to setting up shows, dealing with agents, etc., then L.A. is the most logical place to set up your base. Not New York, not Toronto, and most definitely not Seoul. There has also been an underlying assumption on this forum that all YNK's commercial venture options lie strictly in the skating world--such as producing/headlining live ice shows. That assumption might not hold up over time, and she may wish (and have opportunities) to expand beyond that into movies and television, for starters.

As to much of my previous post (and this one) being speculation, of course. So what? That's what this forum is for. I don't see any other poster here with a direct pipeline into Yuna's head, so all of us are speculating. Just some with more logic than others.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
From the news it looks like Orser was not even in the equation of the split. Yuna won the Gold and simply moved on, what to do in Toronto anymore. And she will have more oportunities and offers in the new place probably, besides as a 20 year old, LA sounds exciting!:biggrin:

Bingo! All the drama and speculation over YuNa's split with Brian played out in the press and on the forums by fans and non fans was in hindsight very simple.
Agree with your post.

L

lowtherlore

entire post

I can see where you are coming from, but your post doesn’t say much on why you think she is done with competitive skating. Are staying eligible and doing shows or other commercial ventures mutually exclusive? She did only three shows after the Olympics, and there are many other top eligible skaters who appeared in greater number of shows during the off-season.

Time after time Yu-Na said she would go to the Worlds, and I don’t understand why some find it so hard to believe. Why would she prepare competitive programs if she’s not sincere? It’s definitely a good thing for the sport if she keep competing as we know that she, along with other fine skaters, is capable of drawing more new fans to the sport. Oppegard said in the interview that he accepted the job since Yu-Na seemed still motivated. Why not take her words at face value and see what happens.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I think most people believe she's not truly committed to Worlds (or any other eligible skating) because of her "poor" showing at Worlds right after the Olympics and her slow start to getting programs and running around doing other ventures right now.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, it's totally up to Yuna whether she wants to reach a new level of greatness, or slip into mediocrity as tends to happen to many OGMs as they lose motivation.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well, it's totally up to Yuna whether she wants to reach a new level of greatness, or slip into mediocrity as tends to happen to many OGMs as they lose motivation.

Not sure if I agree with that although it has been true at times.
Kristi did not become "mediocre" when she turned Pro and many think her skating continued to grow in her Pro career.
Yuka, G&G, Kulik, Kurt, etc showed some fantastic skating and programs after retiring from eligible competitive skating.

I suspect whatever Yuna does in the future there will be nothing half-assed or mediocre about her efforts.

brownfox

On the Ice
If she competes and fails then it's risky indeed, it will ruin her reputation, etc. But I will applaud her like any other skaters. At least the girl has guts.

If she retires then she can do whatever she wants.

prettykeys

Medalist
I'm not 100% of this (and credit to yunameter@YKF for pointing this out) but at 1:20, was Yu-na practising her leg turnout/extension here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT6WQa8xXI0 ?
Hey...that's a really observant comment. Thanks for pointing it out!

I am well aware that Yuna has said she intended to compete at Worlds 2011. I believe she was sincere when she made those statements. But that event has yet to happen. I stand by my previous statement: I do not believe we will see her again at eligible competition. If Worlds rolls around and she shows up and competes, I will be happy to return to this thread, eat my words and say "I was wrong."
I don't agree with you on this prediction, but I really like that you say things in a logical way so that I can follow your reasoning, which isn't unrealistic at all. As a YuNa fan, though, it's not pure logic that dictates my belief here. I just know she has a very strong record of delivering on her words. Unless she is injured, I think she will be at Worlds 2011.

As to why she moved to L.A. I said it before. If you wish to be able to deal more directly with the Sports and Entertainment world as to setting up shows, dealing with agents, etc., then L.A. is the most logical place to set up your base. Not New York, not Toronto, and most definitely not Seoul. There has also been an underlying assumption on this forum that all YNK's commercial venture options lie strictly in the skating world--such as producing/headlining live ice shows. That assumption might not hold up over time, and she may wish (and have opportunities) to expand beyond that into movies and television, for starters.
All true, but if YuNa wanted to go into non-skating commercial options and movies/TV, Seoul would be the most logical place to start. I do think she is serious about sticking to skating for now. :) S. Korea may not be the entertainment business centre of the world, but it does have a flourishing movie and drama TV-series scene that is popular all over Asia. Say YuNa wanted to go into acting--wouldn't it be best that she start there, memorizing lines in her native tongue?

I can see where you are coming from, but your post doesn’t say much on why you think she is done with competitive skating. Are staying eligible and doing shows or other commercial ventures mutually exclusive? She did only three shows after the Olympics, and there are many other top eligible skaters who appeared in greater number of shows during the off-season.

Time after time Yu-Na said she would go to the Worlds, and I don’t understand why some find it so hard to believe. Why would she prepare competitive programs if she’s not sincere? It’s definitely a good thing for the sport if she keep competing as we know that she, along with other fine skaters, is capable of drawing more new fans to the sport. Oppegard said in the interview that he accepted the job since Yu-Na seemed still motivated. Why not take her words at face value and see what happens.
Good points and I agree with you. You are clearly a YuNa fan so I think like me, you have a little more insight into her personality/character. I do recall that when Sasha declared she'd appear at the US Nationals this past year, it was met with a lot of skepticism. I imagine that skepticism is the natural state of a skating fan. Anyone can slip at anytime. Anyone can get injured at anytime. On top of that, it's a difficult sport, and if you don't believe in yourself, you can land all your jumps and come off unconvincingly in presentation and be disappointing anyway. Well, I believed that Sasha would show ;)

I think most people believe she's not truly committed to Worlds (or any other eligible skating) because of her "poor" showing at Worlds right after the Olympics and her slow start to getting programs and running around doing other ventures right now.
YuNa's Worlds 2010 could be a source of motivation for her, too. Besides, a slow start doesn't mean it's a bad start, and she looks to have planned accordingly...

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
It'll be same contentders all over again in 2011 World Campionship.

Even though Yuna showed not-so-stella performance in 2010 Worlds and Mao has trouble in revamping her jumps...
It'll be Yuna and Mao...fighting for GOLD.

I don't see anybody that can challenge them on the horizon yet.
Yuna and Mao are TWO SPECIAL skaters who can make skating...very popular beyond their own countries.

L

lowtherlore

But her showing at Worlds right after her epic win at the Olympics should be respected. Yu-Na followed up on her words, despite having been hit by the unavoidable mental and physical fatigue after the then-ultimate win for her. I mean, it should have been like being asked to take another SAT after you’ve already received a welcome letter from Stanford. In the recent Q&A session with the fans, she mentioned that, in her own words, “Believe it or not, the 2010 Worlds was one of the most fulfilling competitions of my entire career.” I think she really means that and it tells a lot about her take on the essence of competition and perseverance.

As for the slow start on her programs this year, she long ago said that she would skip the GPs and come back for the Worlds. And she’s not running around doing other ventures now. She declared that there would be no more shows for her and she would concentrate on her preparation for the Worlds.

Last edited:
L

lowtherlore

Not sure if I agree with that although it has been true at times.
Kristi did not become "mediocre" when she turned Pro and many think her skating continued to grow in her Pro career.
Yuka, G&G, Kulik, Kurt, etc showed some fantastic skating and programs after retiring from eligible competitive skating.

I suspect whatever Yuna does in the future there will be nothing half-assed or mediocre about her efforts.

I agree. According to Oppegard’s words, she feels that she hasn’t reached the pinnacle of her skating and wants to improve. I can imagine what she pictures herself to become, when I compare the recent (ATS at LA) version of her Meditation with the one she did at the Olympics gala. She’s not the same skater she was last season, she is maturing and evolving.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yeah, I don't think Yuna necessarily has to keep competing to keep from falling into mediocrity. If she wants to retire from competition and expand on All the Skate, more power to her and it could be great for the skating world.

I'm definitely taking her at her word that she wants to go to worlds. I think she's given herself plenty of time to prepare.

But if she decides later this year that her heart isn't in it after all and drops out, I'm not going to rake her over the coals. It's her life.