Yuna Kim | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

janetfan

Match Penalty
Let's make things clear. IB Sports is upset with Gu who was a former IB Sports chief member now with AT Sports, not Yuna. So if they are going to file a lawsuit or anything, it will be against him, not Yuna. They publicly wished a best of luck to Yuna for her future and new agency. :cool:

They may have wished Yuna good luck - but apparently they are threatening a lawsuit against an employee/officer of Yuna's new agency.

If that is IB's idea of being nice then I wonder what they are like when they get nasty.
(Maybe spread stories about Orser and Mao)

cooper

Medalist
They may have wished Yuna good luck - but apparently they are threatening a lawsuit against an employee/officer of Yuna's new agency.

If that is IB's idea of being nice then I wonder what they are like when they get nasty.
(Maybe spread stories about Orser and Mao)

True. If they really care for Yuna, they should just let this go and maybe work with her in the future.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
True. If they really care for Yuna, they should just let this go and maybe work with her in the future.

Rather it's in their best financial interest to be on good terms with Yuna, especially if they want to keep that KSU marketing contract.

Bennett

Record Breaker
But if they are in the same field, i.e., agencies, how do they collaborate with? Aren't they competitors?

cooper

Medalist
Update version http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?bicode=070000&biid=2010042703328

Former IB Sports Vice President Koo Dong-hoi is said to be an adviser to All That Sports.

IB Sports said on the establishment of All That Sports, “We hope the new company set up by Kim Yu-na will prosper in the future. Hopefully, we could cooperate with it in future business.”

I guess there's a possibility that they can still work with Yuna.

Anyway here's the making of Pure Commercial http://www.tagstory.com/video/video_post.aspx?media_id=V000424388

Another video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymbsFEHxFtM

And Yuna's tourism poster for Visit Korea http://img.news.yahoo.co.kr//picture/2010/f7/20100426/20100426125242981f7_130954_0.jpg

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Will this arrangement make it possible for her to skate in IMG shows? Was it Yuna or IB Sports that was suited against by IMG?

Ren

On the Ice
Will this arrangement make it possible for her to skate in IMG shows? Was it Yuna or IB Sports that was suited against by IMG?

It looks more and more possible to me that she will be able to do IMG shows.

It was IB Sports against whom IMG Korea brought their lawsuit years ago, not Yu-Na. For this new development (Yu-Na splitting from IB and having her own agency), IB Sports is suing a former employee for breach of trust. He resigned some time ago before Yu-Na's contract with IB expires (April 30), and apparently will serve an advisory role in Yu-Na's new agency...

Bennett

Record Breaker
It looks more and more possible to me that she will be able to do IMG shows.

It was IB Sports against whom IMG Korea brought their lawsuit years ago, not Yu-Na. For this new development (Yu-Na splitting from IB and having her own agency), IB Sports is suing a former employee for breach of trust. He resigned some time ago before Yu-Na's contract with IB expires (April 30), and apparently will serve an advisory role in Yu-Na's new agency...

Good for her. What did IMG Korea do and did not do to Yuna during her contract with them after all? I heard people talking that IMG Korea neglected Yuna. I vaguely remember her mom mentioning that they did not let her travel in the business class despite her back pain. People also say that they did not bring sponsors. But I would not necessarily find these two "neglect." Was there anything more than that which made Yuna and her mom unhappy with IMG Korea?

And at the current separation, her mom says that IB Sports had too various businesses to meet Yuna's specific needs. But didn't IB Sports treat her like a VIP? Their business seems to have been so much dependent on Yuna. Their stock dropped by half. Why did they want to get separated from IB Sports despite the IB Sports' strong relationship with the Korean Skating Union?

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Good for her. What did IMG Korea do and did not do to Yuna during her contract with them after all? I heard people talking that IMG Korea neglected Yuna. I vaguely remember her mom mentioning that they did not let her travel in the business class despite her back pain. People also say that they did not bring sponsors. But I would not necessarily find these two "neglect." Was there anything more than that which made Yuna and her mom unhappy with IMG Korea?

I think the "neglect" part may be due to miscommunication. I think that Yuna's mom thought that IMG Korea was not doing enough in terms of helping Yuna get sponsors. I seem to recall that, when questionned about it, IMG Korea replied something along the lines of Yuna not being marketable or something like that. The bottom line is that IB had a much more appealing marketing/sponsorship deal.

That's where the tension with IMG Korea started. It was supposed to be resolved by having Yuna skate in the IMG show in 2007, but that got canceled due to the fire. According to yunaforum.com, IMG Korea put Yuna front and center in aplogizing about the cancellation and made it look like it was her show, even though she was a last-minute addition. And this is why some of her fans feel so strongly about IMG Korea.

And at the current separation, her mom says that IB Sports had too various businesses to meet Yuna's specific needs. But didn't IB Sports treat her like a VIP? Their business seems to have been so much dependent on Yuna. Their stock dropped by half. Why did they want to get separated from IB Sports despite the IB Sports' strong relationship with the Korean Skating Union?

Again, I think it is Yuna's mom trying to say something PC to the media. I do not think there was any argument with IB. Her contract expired, and it would be great if Yuna had a little more control on her commercials/sponsorships...etc. What IB did with Yuna was amazing, but it was bordering on over-exposure, IMHO. Just judging by the number of appearances she did in the last month, I don't think the poor girl got a minute to herself... and this is when she was supposed to be on vacation, relaxing and trying to decide her future. She does not need all that exposure anymore, and having her own agency will help her tremendously in that regard. Besides, she's always said she wanted to support the junior skating program in Korea (she's already sponsoring some junior skaters), and having an agency with her name on it that could sponsor them is a big step in that direction.

Honestly, I think Yuna is done competing. I would love to be wrong, but this is my reading on this news.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think the "neglect" part may be due to miscommunication. I think that Yuna's mom thought that IMG Korea was not doing enough in terms of helping Yuna get sponsors. I seem to recall that, when questionned about it, IMG Korea replied something along the lines of Yuna not being marketable or something like that. The bottom line is that IB had a much more appealing marketing/sponsorship deal.

That's where the tension with IMG Korea started. It was supposed to be resolved by having Yuna skate in the IMG show in 2007, but that got canceled due to the fire. According to yunaforum.com, IMG Korea put Yuna front and center in aplogizing about the cancellation and made it look like it was her show, even though she was a last-minute addition. And this is why some of her fans feel so strongly about IMG Korea.

Again, I think it is Yuna's mom trying to say something PC to the media. I do not think there was any argument with IB. Her contract expired, and it would be great if Yuna had a little more control on her commercials/sponsorships...etc. What IB did with Yuna was amazing, but it was bordering on over-exposure, IMHO. Just judging by the number of appearances she did in the last month, I don't think the poor girl got a minute to herself... and this is when she was supposed to be on vacation, relaxing and trying to decide her future. She does not need all that exposure anymore, and having her own agency will help her tremendously in that regard. Besides, she's always said she wanted to support the junior skating program in Korea (she's already sponsoring some junior skaters), and having an agency with her name on it that could sponsor them is a big step in that direction.

Honestly, I think Yuna is done competing. I would love to be wrong, but this is my reading on this news.

Oh, thanks for your explanations. But I am not sure if it can be a PC thing for her mom to sound as if they were complaining about their ex-agencies.

I wonder how big IB Sports is and how much they have the say over the media in Korea. If it has really great power, being out of its umbrella can mean that she'll be less protected. But if Yuna is much bigger than IB Sports, it won't be a big deal.

Regarding the legal case, IB Sports may win in this case. That the said person only serves as an "advisor" sounds like a lame excuse and does not seem to justify the said violation of the contract.

I think it very important to be surrounded by people who can fully protect you and going through two consecutive agency lawcases is not going to be helpful. I wonder how replaceable this person may be in this new company.

aurora100

Final Flight
Oh, thanks for your explanations. But I am not sure if it can be a PC thing for her mom to sound as if they were complaining about their ex-agencies.

I wonder how big IB Sports is and how much they have the say over the media in Korea. If it has really great power, being out of its umbrella can mean that she'll be less protected. But if Yuna is much bigger than IB Sports, it won't be a big deal.

Regarding the legal case, IB Sports may win in this case. That the said person only serves as an "advisor" sounds like a lame excuse and does not seem to justify the said violation of the contract.

I think it very important to be surrounded by people who can fully protect you and going through two consecutive agency lawcases is not going to be helpful. I wonder how replaceable this person may be in this new company.

I think all of this points to Yuna turning pro. To be a pro skaters (or of any sport) of any strength in this world, an athlete needs to be with IMG or be able to work with IMG. I am thinking she is going to join Stars on Ice. And why should she not?

sleepymom

Rinkside

Believe me, what Yuna's mom told on the paper didn't come off as complaining at all in the Korean newspaper. I don't know why you get the impression like that, but it was as PC as it gets.

Probably some connection with newspaper reporters , which is plausible just by looking at various articles nowadays. But I doubt the company has that much power in anyway, and to do any kind of figure skating business in Korea currently it's all Yuna related. - Super match is exception only because it's Hyundai card show for their card customers, so majority of the people to see the show has free tickets. -

For the legal case, we'll have to wait and see, but I don't think they'll win definitely. They seem to list several possible causes for the sue, but preventing the employees from working in the same business for a certain period is not something that can be easily winnable in the court, because there's conflict with the freedom to choose jobs. By suing the person here, what IB can have is the emotional satisfaction of persecuting this person, but what IB can lose is the company image. IB sports is not like IMG Korea, which was really small that losing face in the society was not such a big deal - and Yuna wasn't superstar like today.- And they have to consider relation with Yuna, if they still wants to do FS business in KR.

All said and done, maybe I'm being too optimistic, but honestly only thing that's on the way of this company is that VP from IB. That's not too bad as the beginning of any company. :) And there are tons of good things, one is that this company can focus solely on figure skating development in Korea. She was doing the jr. support even now, but now she can hire more people and the company can find talented skaters and support them to bloom, thus making Korean figure skating scene bloom. Considering this is something Yuna always wanted to do, this sounds like a natural progress of matters.

Last edited:

yunasashafan

On the Ice

I agree that it is not good to sound like IB has not done enough for Yuna. I don't think it was meant this way, but it is the impression one can get when hearing that IB had too many other businesses to meet Yuna's specific needs, especially if you factor in the history with IMG Korea and the statement that it had "neglected" Yuna. I wish Yuna's mom had stopped at saying that she prefers to be more independent to focus on the junior program or something like that. But this is the (super-dramatic) media, and her words may have been taken out of context, or she could have been pushed into a corner..

As for the lawsuit, I think that Yuna and her mom had legal consultation and have hopefully ensured that, according to the letter of the law, they did nothing wrong. I think the law prohibits IB employees from serving as an agent, but not as consultants/advisors. Since Yuna's agent is her mom in this case, they should be fine (though admittedly a bit sneaky :eek:hwell:)

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
All said and done, maybe I'm being too optimistic, but honestly only thing that's on the way of this company is that VP from IB. That's not too bad as the beginning of any company. :) And there are tons of good things, one is that this company can focus solely on figure skating development in Korea. She was doing the jr. support even now, but now she can hire more people and the company can find talented skaters and support them to bloom, thus making Korean figure skating scene bloom. Considering this is something Yuna always wanted to do, this sounds like a natural progress of matters.

I think that's the main priority (aside from Yuna of course), trying to establish figure skating more. And now I'm leaning towards her retirement. Though there's still a possibility that she will change her mind, once she goes back to Toronto.

parma

On the Ice
What an ungrateful bunch of ******** that IB Sports is. They should send Yuna flowers in thanking her for having been a wonderful revenue maker for them and also in congratulating her family's first venture into the business world. Instead, they will sue one of her employees. Sure, it's not her, it's the employee who used to be one of IB Sports' officers, but her rep is also on the line here.

Last edited by a moderator:

cooper

Medalist
I agree that it is not good to sound like IB has not done enough for Yuna. I don't think it was meant this way, but it is the impression one can get when hearing that IB had too many other businesses to meet Yuna's specific needs, especially if you factor in the history with IMG Korea and the statement that it had "neglected" Yuna. I wish Yuna's mom had stopped at saying that she prefers to be more independent to focus on the junior program or something like that. But this is the (super-dramatic) media, and her words may have been taken out of context, or she could have been pushed into a corner..

As for the lawsuit, I think that Yuna and her mom had legal consultation and have hopefully ensured that, according to the letter of the law, they did nothing wrong. I think the law prohibits IB employees from serving as an agent, but not as consultants/advisors. Since Yuna's agent is her mom in this case, they should be fine (though admittedly a bit sneaky :eek:hwell:)

Apparently, it turned out that IB has been taking a big cut out of her income for management fees and commissions, while not closely living up to their paycheck.

Last edited:

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Apparently, it turned out that IB has been taking a big cut out of her income for management fees and commissions, while not closely living up to their paycheck.

Do you have a link to an article stating that IB did not live up to their paycheck? It seems to me that Yuna had more engagements in a day that other athletes may have in a month or even a year.. so where exactly did IB not live up to its committment?

parma

On the Ice
You don't need a newspaper article to figure out their pay was way higher than they deserved. Bringing endorsement deals - doing a sales so to speak - is surely an important capacity a management firm takes for its clients, and Yuna sure did get many, but if you are Yuna's agent in Korea, that would be probably the easiest job ever; basically it should be mere sorting and scheduling. They even said in their words that more than one hundred offers came in for her last year. Even before she started with IB, she and her mom was already receiving many offers about possible product endorsement. I don't think her having had many endorsement deals justifies IB's taking of 1/3 of her income.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
You don't need a newspaper article to figure out their pay was way higher than they deserved. Bringing endorsement deals - doing a sales so to speak - is surely an important capacity a management firm takes for its clients, and Yuna sure did get many, but if you are Yuna's agent in Korea, that would be probably the easiest job ever; basically it should be mere sorting and scheduling. They even said in their words that more than one hundred offers came in for her last year. Even before she started with IB, she and her mom was already receiving many offers about possible product endorsement. I don't think her having had many endorsement deals justifies IB's taking of 1/3 of her income.

Wow..so, IB is now being attacked because they are exploiting Yuna and 1/3 is an unfair share for the easiest job ever of sorting and scheduling the hundreds of offers she gets?

Aren't you forgetting that the contract with the 1/3 share was agreed on and signed by Yuna? Now it's unfair but it wasn't unfair three years ago when IB offered to pay all her training expenses and made it possible for her to move to Canada and train at the Cricket Club? Didn't Yuna find that offer so appealing that she got herself in trouble with IMG Korea to be able to take it? May I ask you then, if Yuna was already getting so many endorsement deals, why did she need to sign up with IB? She could have instituted her own agency three years ago.

IB made a very smart investment and was lately reaping the rewards of that investment. You can't fault them for that! At the beginning of the contract the benefit of the deal was clearly on Yuna's side but IB managed to get more than they bargained for at the end. That's smart business. Now that Yuna is not seeing much financial gain in staying with IB, she is moving away from them. Again, no one can fault her for that. Business is business. Let's not make IB look like the bad guys after all they've done to help Yuna. Not everybody whose business/interest does not align with Yuna's is an evil person. I am sure Yuna would agree with that.

And yes, you do need a newspaper article to support your claim when you're unfairly attacking people.

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
IB was very supportive to Yuna for last 3 years, no doubt about that. But they should just let it go, after all Yuna did repay them (they made HUGE profit from her). If they really care for her (like wishing Yuna good luck from the media) then they shouldn't sue one of her employees, move on!