Yuna Kim | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Media frenzy for Kim-Asada showdown
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iCE9JybdxTTESxs-oWpVXZqrHXvQ

While fellow 19-year-old Asada has opted to stay in the athletes' village, Kim's agent IB Sports preferred the privacy of a hotel where she is staying with her mother, Canadian coach Brian Orser and a physiotherapist.

But the major Korean daily newspaper Chosun Ilbo said it had spent just two days, acting on a tip-off from Olympic volunteers, to locate the hotel in a quiet neighbourhood dotted with Korean restaurants, a 40-minute drive from the downtown area.

The hotel front desk readily confirmed the presence of "a Korean skater" and Orser's name was found on the guest list, prompting the newspaper to fear for Kim's safety and the possibility of stalkers.

Sounds like the newspaper's the one who's the stalker. =(

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Yu-na will be at Worlds 2010! She just said in an interview that she will return to Toronto to train for Worlds, as the returning champion. That's first. She hasn't really given a thought to retiring or turning pro because she was putting her all into winning that OGM :) She will think about what she will do next after the showing. I hope she stays in competition. There's so much more she can give...

kandidy

Final Flight
Thank you for the news, nut it is not actually new .SHe said during declinign the 4 cc event . She mentioned already that no matter the olympic result is, she will go to world.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Thank you for the news, nut it is not actually new .SHe said during declinign the 4 cc event . She mentioned already that no matter the olympic result is, she will go to world.

Yes, but some people doubted her because, well, very few OC's go to the Worlds :) The news was that she said something about her plans post-Vancouver. Yu-na's interview (I got this from a different forum):

- You cried after the free skate.
This is the first time I cried after my performance. Until now, I've always wondered what it felt like when other skaters cried. I cried without really noticing. I still don't know why I cried. I waited for the Olympics for a long time and prepared arduously, so I'm relieved everything's done and over with. I just wanted to get it over with.

- What did you feel after your performance?
I was glad I was able to show everything I had prepared on the Olympic stage. The score was great, but I was more satisfied with the fact that my performance was clean. When I won the World Championships last year, I couldn't deliver a clean fre skate. I was able to go clean during practice several times, but to go clean at the Olympics...

- The pressure must have been great
It's not so much that I felt pressure because of other people's expecations. It was a big burden because the Olympics were my own goal. So I tried to empty my mind. I had less pressure than ever. It also helped that I went clean during practice.

- Your parents cried a lot
I thank my family. My mom always travels with me, but this was the first time my dad watched me perform internationally. I'm so glad to have achieved my goal in front of my parents.

- What about your plans after this?
I've just achieved a lifetime goal. I want to enjoy it for a while (Kim Yu-na will go to Korea for a bit, then head to Toronto to prepare for the World Championships).

- You gave Korea it's first gold medal in figure skating.
"I saw speed skating and short track athletes win gold medals. I'm glad that I was able to help my country by adding another gold medal."

christinaskater

Medalist
Congrats Yu-na!

For me it was a victory for her, her family, korea, her love for skating

for Michelle Kwan(her idol- OSM) and Brian Orser (OSM) as well! She had the best people around her

THey taught her how to handle pressure based on what they experienced in the past! It completes the circle!!!!!

She has seen through their eyes and they found a way to curb the pressure and expectations!

I'm so happy!

I can't wait to see her skate to "Meditation of the Thais"

My fave piece of music!

They were smart not to bring her at 4cc!!!!! Very smart! That would have added another burden to the enormous pressure on her shoulders!

ryoko

Rinkside
I read from a korean article saying that Orser wants to teach Yuna triple axel after world championship in march. He said he hasn't told her yet, but would love to.
Didn't she practice triple axel at times while training in toronto? Can anybody elaborate?

Iscariot

On the Ice
I read from a korean article saying that Orser wants to teach Yuna triple axel after world championship in march. He said he hasn't told her yet, but would love to.
Didn't she practice triple axel at times while training in toronto? Can anybody elaborate?

Well that was the idea at firts with Brian, to learn the 3A, the rest we all know, but yes i have seen some footage and they were nice, of course they were done with something they put on your hip and someone its holding it(dont know the name of it)

gourry

Final Flight

LOL Really? Wow. I didn't see that coming for sure. Is it safe to say this means there will be no retirement? Yay!!!! So excited!!

I know Yuna went to Brian to learn 3A when she was young, and saw some clips of her practicing it but I have no idea about her recent training. I heard a Japanese commentator mentioned her 3A possibility during her last Worlds performances though. So who knows?
I don't really care whether she does it or not because she is just so beautiful to watch with or without it for me, but if she does it, I'm pretty sure it will be something monstrous like Midori's.

ilunga1965

Rinkside
LOL Really? Wow. I didn't see that coming for sure. Is it safe to say this means there will be no retirement? Yay!!!! So excited!!

I know Yuna went to Brian to learn 3A when she was young, and saw some clips of her practicing it but I have no idea about her recent training. I heard a Japanese commentator mentioned her 3A possibility during her last Worlds performances though. So who knows?
I don't really care whether she does it or not because she is just so beautiful to watch with or without it for me, but if she does it, I'm pretty sure it will be something monstrous like Midori's.

Well...I watched a program about Yuna last night(I'm Korean). She tried 3A when she was around 15 or 16 here in Korea and went to Brian Orser to learn it. However, because of the injuries, she decided not to practice it. I'm not sure if she'll try it after world championship, 'cause she mentioned she had an injury in her ankle early this year and tried to practice carefully until the pain went away(I've read it an article yesterday).

Nadia01

Final Flight
Yuna caught a cold. I heard her phone interview (taped after she went to Toronto to train for the World) and she sounded very very tired and sick.

:-(

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yuna caught a cold. I heard her phone interview (taped after she went to Toronto to train for the World) and she sounded very very tired and sick.

:-(

Well in all honesty this is not THAT bad timing to get a cold. Hope she gets well soon though.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah I heard that interview too :( she sounded really bad

Poor Yuna :cry:. Isn't mini-Yuna staying with her in Toronto right now? Hope she doesn't get sick too! Anyway I think Brian Orser is at Junior Worlds with Christina now so actually the timing is not too bad, if Yuna was well she'd probably be training by herself. At least she got sick AFTER the Olympics and not during!

joy k.k

Rinkside
I hope she is better now.

I hear that one of many things Yu-Na excels at is her ice coverage,
but I don't really know what ice coverage means.
Does that mean she is skating more than other skaters?
I know this is not related to Yu-Na news, but I'd appreciate if someone helped me out with this.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I hope she is better now.

I hear that one of many things Yu-Na excels at is her ice coverage,
but I don't really know what ice coverage means.
Does that mean she is skating more than other skaters?
I know this is not related to Yu-Na news, but I'd appreciate if someone helped me out with this.

In general, that term is used to refer to a skater using more than a small section of the ice when they compete. Good ice coverage means that they use all or most of the ice space that the rink offers. The ideal has been for a skater to "cover the ice" well, i.e., use most of it when they skate, and to do so with good speed and without an excess of caution, i.e., to appear free and effortless as much as possible, and to skate in what one might call a large way, resulting in a skate that is big, bold, and beautiful.