Yuna Kim | Page 205 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

balladeno1

Rinkside
I was looking at the SKorean Nationals results and was searching for Yuna's first National title at 12 years old when I came across this article from 2004.

“What do I really want to do? I want to hang out with my friends. What don’t I like to do? My mom would scold me if I say this. Frankly, I hate skating. It’s so tiresome. I’m sick of it.” And yet this tiny girl loved her country so much to overcome her hate for skating to compete... :sad21: I think the tiresome feeling of skating never went away, particularly post-Vancouver, but her responsibility to her country shows through her continuing to compete.

I also think the talk about the quadruples were funny in retrospect, but otherwise I enjoyed having a glimpse into the past. :biggrin: I liked this line too: "The day when Korea is an underdeveloped country of figure skating no more is coming soon." Very fitting now, especially right after the demonstration of the young South Korean skaters. The sport developed so much as Yuna rose and inspired many to start skating; now we're seeing the results with Young You winning the National Title at 12 and many youngsters landing those 3-3s.

About the Yuna hating-not hating skating debate, every person, every athlete goes through slumps and may or may not feel like quitting. The thing that counts is that she made it through and I would think she would not regret anything because her success and what it has brought her country. That's just my opinion of course, so don't bash me or anything please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ye6AOZ83kI Famous vocalist, IU, and Kim Yu-na-Ice Flower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ye6AOZ83kI Famous vocalist, Lena Park, and Kim Yu-na- Winter Dream. I think this is one of the Pyeongchang official songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0TUXWHxaV0 K-Pop Group, Big Bang, and Kim Yu-na ---watch at least through :46. It's a hilarious cut.

Just thought you all may want to see these. Wow! She is not only beautiful, smart, hard-working figure skating champion and model, but also a really talented singer. Truly, she is the queen.

skaterr

On the Ice
Sorry to disappoint you. It’s from channel A news known for yellow journalism. Many Korean fans are speculating there’s someone behind this fussy. Channel A used to report a distortion of facts about Yuna. They even discussed Yuna would not renew Samsung advertisement. But guess what? She did.
Yuna is very polite. I guess tv program pd took her next to the president unlike Rehearsal. She was a little bit confused for a few seconds. And Haters got the moment. That’s it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7NdWk-nwu4
http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=yeona&no=634856&page=2&exception_mode=recommend
http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=yeona&no=634852&page=2&exception_mode=recommend
http://media.daum.net/politics/others/newsview?newsid=20150819001157895&RIGHT_REPLY=R2
http://m.news.naver.com/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=100&oid=005&aid=0000808967
http://mlbpark.donga.com/mbs/articl...=search&select=stt&opt=1&keyword=%BF%AC%BE%C6

Dong A ilbo and channel A is the same branch company. Channel A accused Yuna of not being polite to President Park. They are just yellow media. Especially young people call it a trash. Don’t believe what they say. Also, Korean words and English “hate or sick of” means quite different. The tone is not that strong in Korean.

paperhearts

Final Flight
About the Yuna hating-not hating skating debate, every person, every athlete goes through slumps and may or may not feel like quitting. The thing that counts is that she made it through and I would think she would not regret anything because her success and what it has brought her country. That's just my opinion of course, so don't bash me or anything please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ye6AOZ83kI Famous vocalist, IU, and Kim Yu-na-Ice Flower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ye6AOZ83kI Famous vocalist, Lena Park, and Kim Yu-na- Winter Dream. I think this is one of the Pyeongchang official songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0TUXWHxaV0 K-Pop Group, Big Bang, and Kim Yu-na ---watch at least through :46. It's a hilarious cut.

Just thought you all may want to see these. Wow! She is not only beautiful, smart, hard-working figure skating champion and model, but also a really talented singer. Truly, she is the queen.

Yes, thank you for your thoughts. :) It seems I may have opened a can of worms with my post, so I'm sorry about that... (If anything, I think at the end of her career she didn't regret skating. Agreed, she is human afterall and going through puberty at that time also probably influenced her to say that. Anyway, as you said, the thing that counts the most is that she made it through, worked even harder, and ultimately achieved most if not all of her goals!)

Oooh, I have seen those, but its always nice to see my fandoms crossing over. :luv17: IU is one of my favorite singers so it was a pleasure to hear her and my favorite skater on a song together. :biggrin: Always lovely to see Yuna venturing into other media.

skaterr

On the Ice
I guess Dong A ilbo and channel A has a long history of Yuna hating. I will keep updating what they saying. That article is really mean. Aren't they supposed to smoothen out or something? They even used to distort the facts about her. What's wrong with them?

dlo2113

Rinkside
Just came to this thread after watching US Nationals... I miss how non-dramatic and consistent Yuna was when she competed. No yelling or sobbing or over-confidence. Just a very poised, calm, quietly excellent skater with a workmanlike disposition. The US girls could learn a lot from her mindset, and start skating more like ladies. But maybe I'm just a bitter US skating fan who wishes we could have someone like Yuna from our country :scratch2:

ava

On the Ice
Just came to this thread after watching US Nationals... I miss how non-dramatic and consistent Yuna was when she competed. No yelling or sobbing or over-confidence. Just a very poised, calm, quietly excellent skater with a workmanlike disposition. The US girls could learn a lot from her mindset, and start skating more like ladies. But maybe I'm just a bitter US skating fan who wishes we could have someone like Yuna from our country :scratch2:

I'm Yuna's Russian fan but no amount of Russian girls can replace Yuna for me:sad4:

Last edited:

Warwick360

Medalist
Saw Miss Saigon Yesterday. Got strongly reminded of Yuna. :(

Brilliant musical though. The production just killed me with awesomeness. :sad4:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist

I completely agree. Also, starting with El Tango de Roxanne (which I believe was her artistic breakthrough) Yuna always added her own character to the performances... in person she is really reserved and a bit laconic, but she just comes ALIVE on the ice... this is something I have not seen any skaters since she retired, and I miss it. It made the sport worth watching.

narcissa

Record Breaker
Saw Tyler Pierce's Danse Macabre LP. So much nostalgia :sad4: She did a good job though.

Lots of skaters skating to Yuna's old music, like Elizabet skating to Send in the Clowns and Papa Can You Hear the Music? I want to believe it's because they're all Yuna fans :laugh:

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Saw Tyler Pierce's Danse Macabre LP. So much nostalgia :sad4: She did a good job though.

Lots of skaters skating to Yuna's old music, like Elizabet skating to Send in the Clowns and Papa Can You Hear the Music? I want to believe it's because they're all Yuna fans :laugh:

i dont know about Tyler but Elizabet said Yuna is her role model :agree:

MizukiS

Rinkside
I remember getting excited when I heard the music from Tyler's FS. While watching, I keep on waiting to feel that spark especially on the music highlights but sadly it didn't. But I agree, from someone who's relatively new, Tyler did a good job.

This is one of Yuna's best program (iconic too) delivered so flawlessly in the Worlds stage so I'm not really expecting any female to top it soon (using the same music). It just made me realize again the difficulty it takes to skate to this type of music - the speed & dynamics required from the skater must be exceptional.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I remember getting excited when I heard the music from Tyler's FS. While watching, I keep on waiting to feel that spark especially on the music highlights but sadly it didn't. But I agree, from someone who's relatively new, Tyler did a good job.

This is one of Yuna's best program (iconic too) delivered so flawlessly in the Worlds stage so I'm not really expecting any female to top it soon (using the same music). It just made me realize again the difficulty it takes to skate to this type of music - the speed & dynamics required from the skater must be exceptional.

So true. She just OWNED it. As the EuroSport commentator likes to say, she doesn't put a foot wrong, every inch of her skates to the music and to immaculate precision. Yunaaa come back :sad21:

orangejacket

Rinkside
I'm Yuna's Russian fan but no amount of Russian girls can replace Yuna for me:sad4:
I sometimes wonder how the general Russian public view the whole controversy at Sochi. Do most of your people truly believe that Adelina 'deserved' the Olympic gold?

ava

On the Ice
I sometimes wonder how the general Russian public view the whole controversy at Sochi. Do most of your people truly believe that Adelina 'deserved' the Olympic gold?

Well I don't really know what people who are not interested in figure skating think but on Russian skating forums the views were divided from the start. Someone strongly disagreed, someone wholeheartedly believed Adelina deserved it, someone was in between. But from my impression as time passed and Adelina didn't deliver her victory now is viewed more critically.

Last edited:

orangejacket

Rinkside
Well I don't really know what people who are not interested in figure skating think but on Russian skating forums the views were divided from the start. Someone strongly disagreed, someone wholeheartedly believed Adelina deserved it, someone was in between. But from my impression as time passed and Adelina didn't deliver her victory now is viewed more critically.

'Wholeheartedly' huh.. I wonder what kind of argument they use in justifying Adelina's routine that it won gold. Even without mentioning Yuna Kim, can any Russian at those Russian skating forums dared to 'wholeheartedly' explain why Mao Asada's free skate scored lower than Adelina? Hahaha. I hope Adelina now realizes how hard it is to carry the 'Olympic champion' title.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist

So on the Russian social network (equivalent of Facebook), for months after the Olympics, people were calling Adelina the new "queen" and basically treating her as if she was pooping rainbows or something. I honestly think maybe an odd 5% (or less) believed that it is Yuna who deserved 1st and Mao should have scored higher. Well, we always knew this sport was about money and politics, but I think we should commend Yuna for rising above it all with her impeccable sportsmanship. :)