Yuna Kim | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

sunny0760

On the Ice
I disagree, too, in a sense that I've never seen or read any Mao interviews that imply any sort of resentment against her competitors, rules, or God. But the following statement is one of the things that the author, Mr./Ms. Oh Young-jin, wants to say in this article, regardless of how Mao acts or presents herself as an individual athlete, which gives some context to the above statement of his/hers. I don't suppose that every Korean would agree with the following analysis, either, but that's the way he/she views the situation, which deserves respect for its own right.

I don't know why your assertation about Mao's intention has something to do with the poorly(yes, really!) written article. Did the author suggest that Mao said something negative about Yuna? No, he did not mention anything like that in his very subjective and useless writing. However, I think Mao actually showed some kind of resentment and discontent at the medal ceremony and afterwards, said in an interview(s) that she should have been given more points with 3A etc.

I am not defending Korean media but I have never seen such articles insisting Mao is doomed to be a perpetual No. 2, for, at least, these 3~4 months. (When Mao came to Korea for 4CC, Korean media favored her very much.) That statement simply does not make sense because, for now, nobody knows whether Yuna will retire or not. My impression is that the said article was not even based on the actual interview with Yuna. He just roughly transtlated the actual interview from other Korean articles and bluntly added his oppinion.

Last edited:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
lol. Trying to pull a Plushenko? Just kidding. Did she really jump out of the way that fast or was the video sped up?

:laugh: a Plushenko. Is that what we refer to it now? I don't think the video was sped up. I watched the medal ceremony. It was more or less like that. Yu-na's too used to standing in the middle, I guess haha

hurrah

Medalist
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...137_63300.html

This article is really terrible on so many different levels. No one is made happier as a result, including, I should think, Yuna. In fact, the content of this article is probably one of the major stress factors that would not make her want to stay in figure skating. If she knows that by skating, she has to shoulder the whole history of colonialism between Korea and Japan and become a symbol of Korea, it would just suck any personal sense of accomplishment or joy that she might derive.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Tinymavy15
lol. Trying to pull a Plushenko? Just kidding. Did she really jump out of the way that fast or was the video sped up?
This video is a bit misleading. Mao, Yuna and Laura were skating to the place where they had to stand for a photo. Then Laura, instead of placing herself after Mao stopped before Yuna, making her stay in the middle. When Yuna realised that she stepped out pretty quickly. That was really funny :) It was also funny on podium when Mao looked straight at Yuna's face.

chloepoco

Medalist
I don't know why your assertation about Mao's intention has something to do with the poorly(yes, really!) written article. Did the author suggest that Mao said something negative about Yuna? No, he did not mention anything like that in his very subjective and useless writing. However, I think Mao actually showed some kind of resentment and discontent at the medal ceremony and afterwards, said in an interview(s) that she should have been given more points with 3A etc.

I am not defending Korean media but I have never seen such articles insisting Mao is doomed to be a perpetual No. 2, for, at least, these 3~4 months. (When Mao came to Korea for 4CC, Korean media favored her very much.) That statement simply does not make sense because, for now, nobody knows whether Yuna will retire or not. My impression is that the said article was not even based on the actual interview with Yuna. He just roughly transtlated the actual interview from other Korean articles and bluntly added his oppinion.

I don't think Mao ever said she should have been given more points for her triple axel, nor has she shown any resentment at the medal ceremony. But that's all been hashed over before already.

bekalc

Record Breaker
"However hard she may cry, Mao Asada, the eventual winner in Turin and Vancouver's silver medalist, has no other choice but to settle for the perpetual No. 2. Mao is like the soulless Salieri, who was fated to resent God for not allowing him the same genius as that given to Mozart."

That is just offensive. Mao and Yu-na are both special skaters. While Yu-na has her strengths and things she does that are better than Mao's, Mao has things about her skating that are better than Yu-na's. Mao when she is at her best is a lovely lyrical skater, who can really cast a spell on the audience. She's even moved me to tears. There's nothing soulless about Asada's skating.

Its comments like these that I suspect may drive Yu-na away from competitive skating.

Basics

On the Ice
I don't think Mao ever said she should have been given more points for her triple axel, nor has she shown any resentment at the medal ceremony. But that's all been hashed over before already.

Nope. Mao clearly said she should have gotten more GOE for her triple axel, and has shown the resentment at the medal ceremony and also though the press.

Basics

On the Ice
I disagree, too, in a sense that I've never seen or read any Mao interviews that imply any sort of resentment against her competitors, rules, or God. But the following statement is one of the things that the author, Mr./Ms. Oh Young-jin, wants to say in this article, regardless of how Mao acts or presents herself as an individual athlete, which gives some context to the above statement of his/hers. I don't suppose that every Korean would agree with the following analysis, either, but that's the way he/she views the situation, which deserves respect for its own right.

This article is really terrible on so many different levels. No one is made happier as a result, including, I should think, Yuna. In fact, the content of this article is probably one of the major stress factors that would not make her want to stay in figure skating. If she knows that by skating, she has to shoulder the whole history of colonialism between Korea and Japan and become a symbol of Korea, it would just suck any personal sense of accomplishment or joy that she might derive.

yes, Yuna is a symbol of Korea, and her performance may restore its lost national pride over Japan to some extent, but that's not the main reason why koreans love her so much. Most of the people just like her beautiful skating and the genuine presence on the ice and also off-ice. The all the fuzz about the relationship between Korea and Japan is what media is interested as well as some trolls. They just emphasize too much on "weighing the whole country over the shoulder" thing. Some of the pressure she gets sure come from it, but most of it come from within herself. She's just a shy person. She doesn't like the big competitions and the media attention.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
Nope. Mao clearly said she should have gotten more GOE for her triple axel, and has shown the resentment at the medal ceremony and also though the press.

Not really. I've read the translation for that interview. She said she would liked to have gotten more GOE. That's very different than saying she should have gotten. She clearly said she was disappointed in her own performance. You're just distorting her words. :sheesh:

Basics

On the Ice
Not really. I've read the translation for that interview. She said she would liked to have gotten more GOE. That's very different than saying she should have gotten. She clearly said she was disappointed in her own performance. You're just distorting her words. :sheesh:

I don't speak Japanese so you may be right. I just read the translated version.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out she said something along the line.

enoh

Rinkside
I don't speak Japanese so you may be right. I just read the translated version.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out she said something along the line.

Dude, resentment and disappointment are not along the same line. If you cannot tell the difference due to translation, just be quiet.

That article is inexcusable. Just read it again after switching Yuna and Mao, and see how offensive and stupid that is. This guy should be fired for wasting my time alone.

sunny0760

On the Ice

What do you mean 'that's all been hashed over before already'? Do you live in Japan and have you read and seen all the interviews after olys? Because I am not lying and I read it in the reliable article.
So, let me ask a question. Did Mao accept the result at olys? Yes, she did. As far as I know, she did not say she should have won. But she didn't exactly agree with the points she got at olys. Don't you agree? So if I think that she said, 'I should have been given more points,' what is so much distortion? She also said she needed some explanation about the points and would ask the coaches and others when she returns to Japan.

Another question I really want to know. If an athlete accepted the result overall but somewhat disagreed with the points or details given by judges, is it a bad thing? Is it very wrong? What do YOU think about it?
I think so many Japanese casual viewers, fans(especially very vocal ones), even TV commentators (except well, Kozuka's father, Arakawa etc.) and even JSF did not accept the point difference between Yuna and Mao. JSF is even trying to fix some rules. This is absolutely OK but if Mao doesn't agree with her points, that's not acceptable?

Athletes can question about rules or judges after the game especially when they were not fair. I think, in this case, it was not surprising if Mao questioned a few points about 3As etc. I think Korean media reported her comments but did not treat them with a big deal.
She looked very unhappy and really disappointed at the ceremony. To me, that was not a very good showcase of sportsmanship even if it was not from pure resentment. Well, however, since then, she was determined to win and worked hard... very tenacious. The result was the victory at Worlds. Good sportsmanship!

Dude, resentment and disappointment are not along the same line. If you cannot tell the difference due to translation, just be quiet.
That article is inexcusable. Just read it again after switching Yuna and Mao, and see how offensive and stupid that is. This guy should be fired for wasting my time alone.

Well, some people may consider her facial expressions and attitude as resentment because the disappointment was very long and the questionable interview afterwards.
Agreed it was offensive and stupid. I don't want to read that kind of article, ever.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice

Could you show us the article or interview video that supports your assertion? How did she show the resment through the press? You seem to be really confident about your statement so I am sure you have something to show us. Thank you.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
Anyway, we can not take this kind of article seriously. It does not represent all the Korean people's feeling. I just can not believe that well respected paper like The Korea Times issue an article like this. They just want to make their raivarly worse and ugly.

cooper

Medalist
Anyway, we can not take this kind of article seriously. It does not represent all the Korean people's feeling. I just can not believe that well respected paper like The Korea Times issue an article like this. They just want to make their raivarly worse and ugly.

Well. The rivalry is already ugly. Just take a look at those sore looossseerrs who created multiple accounts just to bash Yuna in Youtube.

dlgpffps

Final Flight

I find it annoying how commentators and journalists alike try to shine the rivalry in an anti-colonialism light. I get that Koreans don't really dig losing to the Japanese (and vice-versa), but how far must they take it? I know it makes it more interesting, but I doubt Yu-na's fans yell out "You have to beat Mao because her country had annexed us decades ago." My understanding is that they truly appreciate Yu-na's skating and admire her for having overcome all her difficulties - her injuries, issues with boots, financial difficulties, etc. Korea wasn't even on the figure skating map until Yu-na appeared on the scene. It's her stunning talent, perserverence and diligence that brought her through, without any help from a nation that has no rinks exclusively for figure skaters. My Korean friends all express wonder over how someone like Yu-na can come out of a country with no figure skating history or investment.

chloepoco

Medalist
What do you mean 'that's all been hashed over before already'? Do you live in Japan and have you read and seen all the interviews after olys? Because I am not lying and I read it in the reliable article.
So, let me ask a question. Did Mao accept the result at olys? Yes, she did. As far as I know, she did not say she should have won. But she didn't exactly agree with the points she got at olys. Don't you agree? So if I think that she said, 'I should have been given more points,' what is so much distortion? She also said she needed some explanation about the points and would ask the coaches and others when she returns to Japan.

Another question I really want to know. If an athlete accepted the result overall but somewhat disagreed with the points or details given by judges, is it a bad thing? Is it very wrong? What do YOU think about it?
I think so many Japanese casual viewers, fans(especially very vocal ones), even TV commentators (except well, Kozuka's father, Arakawa etc.) and even JSF did not accept the point difference between Yuna and Mao. JSF is even trying to fix some rules. This is absolutely OK but if Mao doesn't agree with her points, that's not acceptable?

Athletes can question about rules or judges after the game especially when they were not fair. I think, in this case, it was not surprising if Mao questioned a few points about 3As etc. I think Korean media reported her comments but did not treat them with a big deal.
She looked very unhappy and really disappointed at the ceremony. To me, that was not a very good showcase of sportsmanship even if it was not from pure resentment. Well, however, since then, she was determined to win and worked hard... very tenacious. The result was the victory at Worlds. Good sportsmanship!

Well, some people may consider her facial expressions and attitude as resentment because the disappointment was very long and the questionable interview afterwards.
Agreed it was offensive and stupid. I don't want to read that kind of article, ever.

I don't live in Japan; however, was in both Japan and Korea for two weeks in the beginning of March. And yes, I am fluent in Japanese, although I'm an American, so I do understand what's been said. As far as Mao, I never read, nor saw anything on TV while I was in Japan, where she said she should have gotten more points. She did say she would like to study the system more, and would seek advice on it; perhaps you call that complaining, I do not.

I don't know what questionable interview afterwards you're talking about, but as I said before, I certainly did not see any resentment.

aurora100

Final Flight
IMy Korean friends all express wonder over how someone like Yu-na can come out of a country with no figure skating history or investment.

ITA agree with you.

Everything I've read and seen on Korean media points to this as the key to Koreans' admiration for Yuna's achievement. Of course they love the beauty and artistry of what she does on the ice. But Koreans are most amazed at what this little trail blazer, Yuna Kim, has achieved in figure skating. They marvel at the wonder of how this young girl, by sheer determination and perseverance stuck to a sport she loves, but one her country has no history of achieving anything in. A country of 40 million people without one dedicated ice pad for figure skating. Korea is a country with few natural resources and they know what it is like to fight and work hard to achieve the living standard they have achieved. And they see the strong work ethic and determination in Yuna Kim and they see the international recognition she has received through her talent and hard work. So they are darn proud of her and they love her for it. The rivary with Japanese skater is a side bar. They would be as excited if Yuna had to out do an American, or Russian or any other figure skating power house and their base of admiration for her would be the same. She went out and worked hard and conquered the figure skating world single handedly. It is a motto Koreans live by and she is a personification extraordinaire of that national motto.