Yuna Kim | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

sunny0760

On the Ice
I don't live in Japan; however, was in both Japan and Korea for two weeks in the beginning of March. And yes, I am fluent in Japanese, although I'm an American, so I do understand what's been said. As far as Mao, I never read, nor saw anything on TV while I was in Japan, where she said she should have gotten more points. She did say she would like to study the system more, and would seek advice on it; perhaps you call that complaining, I do not.

I don't know what questionable interview afterwards you're talking about, but as I said before, I certainly did not see any resentment.
OK, YOU have not heard or seen that Mao said she should have gotten more points. But I searched for the interview where she said so. And you THINK you have not seen any resentment.(Very subjective)

Here is the interview. I don't understand why some posters say she NEVER said so.
http://www.asahi.com/olympics/columns/mao_asada/TKY201003020169.html
She certainly said,
1. My SP was perfect including 3A. Comparing to Yuna Kim, I think my points should have been closer to Yuna's.
ショートプログラム(SP)はトリプルアクセル(3回転半)ジャンプを含めて完璧(かんぺき)に出来ました。金妍児(キム・ヨナ)選手(韓国)と比べると、もう少し点数が近づいていても良かったんじゃないかなと思います。

2. About 3As, there should have been more GOEs. What I am most worried about is the standards of GOE. What kind of jumps would be 3 or 1? Figure skating is not about time record and it is people that judge those things, I don't know exactly the standards. I want to ask the judges about it when I return to Japan.
トリプルアクセルに関しては、もう少しGOE(出来栄えの評価)の加点があっても良かったのにな、と思いました。今の採点方式で一番気になるのは、GOEの基準です。どんなジャンプを跳んだらプラス3になるのか、プラス1になるのか。フィギュアはタイムがはっきりと出るものではなく、人が採点して決めるものなので、その基準がよくわからなくなる。日本に帰って、もう一度ジャッジの方々に聞いてみたいです。

3. Since Cop system appeared, the difficulty of jumps has got less and less meaning.... I think Plushenko's came back is a good thing because quadruples have also come back to the men's field. Though Yuna executes difficult 3-3, to be honest, I wanted to compare my points to hers after I had a perfect clean program. I want Yuna to continue because I want to win over her in the game.
新採点方式になってから、ジャンプの難度という意味では一段一段落ちていると感じています。今季、プルシェンコ選手(ロシア)が復帰してから、男子でまた4回転が見られるようになったのはいいことだと思っています。ヨナ選手も難しい2連続3回転ジャンプを跳びますが、私もすべての要素を完璧に決めた上で点数を比べてみたかった、というのが正直な気持ちです。ヨナ選手には、現役を続けていてほしい。やはり一緒に試合に出て、しっかりと勝ちたい。
来季に向け、苦手なサルコーやルッツも少しずつ練習はしていきたい。今季は入れなかった2連続3回転も。次の五輪までにいろんなことに挑戦して、また試合でできるようになればいいなと思います。

So my previous comments in the previous posts were baseless?:disapp: Honestly, I didn't care too much about what she said so I did not intend to search for this article. As I said before, I don't think questioning her points is such a big deal.
I know this is Yuna news thread, but once again, I don't understand some posters are overly protective and continue to deny the facts while there is evidences.

Last edited:

jasminum

Rinkside
OK, YOU have not heard or seen that Mao said she should have gotten more points. But I searched for the interview where she said so. And you THINK you have not seen any resentment.(Very subjective)

Here is the interview. I don't understand why some posters say she NEVER said so.
http://www.asahi.com/olympics/columns/mao_asada/TKY201003020169.html
She certainly said,
1. My SP was perfect including 3A. Comparing to Yuna Kim, I think my points should have been closer to Yuna's.
ショートプログラム(SP)はトリプルアクセル(3回転半)ジャンプを含めて完璧(かんぺき)に出来ました。金妍児(キム・ヨナ)選手(韓国)と比べると、もう少し点数が近づいていても良かったんじゃないかなと思います。

2. About 3As, there should have been more GOEs. What I am most worried about is the standards of GOE. What kind of jumps would be 3 or 1? Figure skating is not about time record and it is people that judge those things, I don't know exactly the standards. I want to ask the judges about it when I return to Japan.
トリプルアクセルに関しては、もう少しGOE(出来栄えの評価)の加点があっても良かったのにな、と思いました。今の採点方式で一番気になるのは、GOEの基準です。どんなジャンプを跳んだらプラス3になるのか、プラス1になるのか。フィギュアはタイムがはっきりと出るものではなく、人が採点して決めるものなので、その基準がよくわからなくなる。日本に帰って、もう一度ジャッジの方々に聞いてみたいです。

3. Since Cop system appeared, the difficulty of jumps has got less and less meaning.... I think Plushenko's came back is a good thing because quadruples have also come back to the men's field. Though Yuna executes difficult 3-3, to be honest, I wanted to compare my points to hers after I had a perfect clean program. I want Yuna to continue because I want to win over her in the game.
新採点方式になってから、ジャンプの難度という意味では一段一段落ちていると感じています。今季、プルシェンコ選手(ロシア)が復帰してから、男子でまた4回転が見られるようになったのはいいことだと思っています。ヨナ選手も難しい2連続3回転ジャンプを跳びますが、私もすべての要素を完璧に決めた上で点数を比べてみたかった、というのが正直な気持ちです。ヨナ選手には、現役を続けていてほしい。やはり一緒に試合に出て、しっかりと勝ちたい。
来季に向け、苦手なサルコーやルッツも少しずつ練習はしていきたい。今季は入れなかった2連続3回転も。次の五輪までにいろんなことに挑戦して、また試合でできるようになればいいなと思います。

So my previous comments in the previous posts were baseless?:disapp: Honestly, I didn't care too much about what she said so I did not intend to search for this article. As I said before, I don't think questioning her points is such a big deal.
I know this is Yuna news thread, but once again, I don't understand some posters are overly protective and continue to deny the facts while there is evidences.

Reading both the Japanese original article and English translation, it is understandable that people who've read the translation may think Mao is expressing resentment, while people who've read the Japanese article may think Mao is merely telling what she has to do from now on. This translation is bad.

Bennett

Record Breaker
My take::)

もう少し点数が近づいていても良かったんじゃないかなと思います。.....
I think that it might have been good/nice if scores had been closer.

もう少しGOE(出来栄えの評価)の加点があっても良かったのにな、と思いました。....
Re 3As, I thought that it would have been good/nice if there had been more plus GOEs.

新採点方式になってから、ジャンプの難度という意味では一段一段落ちていると感じています。....
Since the new scoring system started, I feel that it has gotten lower and lower in terms of the difficulty of jumps.

ヨナ選手も難しい2連続3回転ジャンプを跳びますが、私すべての要素を完璧に決めた上で点数を比べてみたかった、というのが正直な気持ちです。
Yuna executes difficult 3-3(s); but I had wished if I also could have executed all of my elements perfectly and then had compared our scores, which is my honest feeling.

ヨナ選手には、現役を続けていてほしい。やはり一緒に試合に出て、 しっかりと勝ちたい。
I would hope that Yuna would continue to compete. I would like to attend competitions together and win soundly. (Not sure how to translate "やはり", "as I said?" "after all?," "honestly?").

来季に向け、苦手なサルコーやルッツも少しずつ練習はしていきたい。今季は入れなかった2連続3回転も。次 の五輪までにいろんなことに挑戦して、また試合でできるようになればいいなと思います。
Towards the next season, I would like to practice my weak jumps, Sal and Lutz, little by little. I also would like to work on 3-3(s) that I did not use this season. I would like to challenge myself in various things until the next Oly; it would be good/nice if I would be able to do these at coming comps again.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Reading both the Japanese original article and English translation, it is understandable that people who've read the translation may think Mao is expressing resentment, while people who've read the Japanese article may think Mao is merely telling what she has to do from now on. This translation is bad.

That was my translation. I never seen English version. If you have problems with my translation, how about translating yourself?

Is she expressing resentment? I don't know. Maybe or maybe not. As for me, when I read some translated ones in Korean for the first time, I thought she did not fully accept the judging at olys and was discontent with the scores. Now once reading the original, I am more and more convinced of that. Moreover, I don't think her questioning the new scoring system as very wise.

(I edited some seemingly resentful remarks.)

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
I think there's a big difference between "would have liked" and "should have" gotten the scores. The first one is a wish and the latter one is more of an entitlement. From reading the article, it seems the feeling is more of a confusion over scoring, not resentment of any kind. It's like you got a grade for something you expected you could have done better and you were confused about it, but you still accepted it without complaints to the teacher. Resentment is a heavy word and shouldn't be applied to this situation.

hurrah

Medalist
Here's MY translation:laugh::

1. In the short program, I was able to do it perfectly, including the triple-axel. Compared to Athlete Kim Yuna, I felt that it would have been nice if the scores had been a bit more closer.

2. Regarding the triple-axel(s), I feel that it would have been so nice to have gotten a bit more GOE points. What I am most concerned about in the present judging system is the criteria of GOEs. Doing what jump will make it +3 or +1? Figure skating doesn’t show results in clear time, but is decided by human judgements, so I get confused by its standards. When I get back to Japan, I want to seek advice from judges once again.

3. Since the introduction of the new judging system, I feel that in terms of difficulty of jumps, there has been a step by step drop (in standard). I believe that it was good that after Athlete Plushenko’s return this season, we were able to see men’s quad jumps once again. Athlete Yuna jumps a difficult triple-triple combination, but I honestly wish that I could have done all of my elements perfectly, and then have compared scores. I hope Athlete Yuna will continue to skate competatively. After all, I want to take part in the same competition and win properly.
In preparation for next season, I want to practice my weak jumps, the salchow and lutz, bit by bit. (I also want to practice) triple-triple combination jumps which I did not include this season. It would be nice if I could challenge myself to do various things by next Olympics and do them in competition once more.

('Athlete' = senshu has the function of 'Mr', 'Ms', '--chan', type of words. In Japanese, 'Athlete' is like a title that's reserved for, well, athletes.)

Last edited:

Basics

On the Ice
Well, she didn't complain or question the current judging system after beating Yuna at the worlds. Good for her! :eek:hwell:

sunny0760

On the Ice
This is Yuna's news thread so I wanted to contribute something but it seems there is not much Yuna news. I heard she wants to be at home for a while.:)

It is said that she emphasized skating skills and steps at a press conference. According to her, her skating skills have greatly improved since she began to train in Canada.
"Korean skaters tend to excel in jumps and spins but lack in steps and skills compared to the international standards."
"우리나라 선수들은 점프와 스핀은 잘하지만 스케이팅 스킬과 스텝에 있어서는 약점이 드러나고 있다. 국제 대회에서도 이 부분에서 가장 큰 차이점이 나타나고 있다."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I want to reply to some posters about Mao's interview.
Nice try Bennet and hurrah for your translation. Mine might be not very polished but has no big mistakes or intentional distortion.

I don't agree with miki88 because (I think) her statements include both her wish and her own judgement/opinion.
"It would be nice/good if~" and "~ should have ~" are both acceptable in this case. How about this?
"I wish my points had been closer to Yuna's/my 3As had got a few more GOE. (meaning "I think it would be more desirable/correct/reasonable than what had actually happened.")"

As GoPC2018 says, she complained and questioned about scores and even the system at that time and I don't blame her for that too much. She expressed her wishes and opinions in not very problematic manners.(See Plushenko:laugh:) You can agree or disagree with her. This is my last post regarding to this interview.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
This is Yuna's news thread so I wanted to contribute something but it seems there is not much Yuna news. I heard she wants to be at home for a while.:)

It is said that she emphasized skating skills and steps at a press conference. According to her, her skating skills have greatly improved since she began to train in Canada.
"Korean skaters tend to excel in jumps and spins but lack in steps and skills compared to the international standards."
"우리나라 선수들은 점프와 스핀은 잘하지만 스케이팅 스킬과 스텝에 있어서는 약점이 드러나고 있다. 국제 대회에서도 이 부분에서 가장 큰 차이점이 나타나고 있다."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I want to reply to some posters about Mao's interview.
Nice try Bennet and hurrah for your translation. Mine might be not very polished but has no big mistakes or intentional distortion.

I don't agree with miki88 because (I think) her statements include both her wish and her own judgement/opinion.
"It would be nice/good if~" and "~ should have ~" are both acceptable in this case. How about this?
"I wish my points had been closer to Yuna's/my 3As had got a few more GOE. (meaning "I think it would be more desirable/correct/reasonable than what had actually happened.")"

As GoPC2018 says, she complained and questioned about scores and even the system at that time and I don't blame her for that too much. She expressed her wishes and opinions in not very problematic manners.(See Plushenko:laugh:) You can agree or disagree with her. This is my last post regarding to this interview.

Thank the Lord for small favors.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
About Mao... I don't know Japanese, but I never heard that she complained about being underscored or about judging system. I think, that Bennett's translation is perfect and is very close to the translations that were made at Yunaforum and there we never doubted that Mao was dissapointed at herself, not at the judging system.
She is kind of perfectionist and wants to do everything perfect, but she has wonderful personality and I'm sure that she would never blame someone other than her.

sunrock

Rinkside
I want to point out one thing. Did you all give Yuna the same benefit of the doubt when her words in Korean were distorted by Japanese TV last season? Remember when Japanese took writings from when Yuna was just a junior and distorted the translations to make her look like she was hoping for Mao to lose? In Korean, it doesn't come off that way as well. What she said was she was hoping the distance between Mao and her would not widen more or it would be too hard for her to catch up to Mao. But of course J-TV distorted her words and translated it into Japanese to mean Yuna wanted Mao to lose like she had some kind of evil intentions towards Mao.

miki88

Medalist
I want to point out one thing. Did you all give Yuna the same benefit of the doubt when her words in Korean were distorted by Japanese TV last season? Remember when Japanese took writings from when Yuna was just a junior and distorted the translations to make her look like she was hoping for Mao to lose? In Korean, it doesn't come off that way as well. What she said was she was hoping the distance between Mao and her would not widen more or it would be too hard for her to catch up to Mao. But of course J-TV distorted her words and translated it into Japanese to mean Yuna wanted Mao to lose like she had some kind of evil intentions towards Mao.

I didn't believe that was what she said. Translations are tricky. It's pretty easy for the media to distort words for their own advantage. And that applies to both Japanese and Korean media outlets, because they both profit from stirring the rivalry.

Figure88

On the Ice
ITA agree with you.

Everything I've read and seen on Korean media points to this as the key to Koreans' admiration for Yuna's achievement. Of course they love the beauty and artistry of what she does on the ice. But Koreans are most amazed at what this little trail blazer, Yuna Kim, has achieved in figure skating. They marvel at the wonder of how this young girl, by sheer determination and perseverance stuck to a sport she loves, but one her country has no history of achieving anything in. A country of 40 million people without one dedicated ice pad for figure skating. Korea is a country with few natural resources and they know what it is like to fight and work hard to achieve the living standard they have achieved. And they see the strong work ethic and determination in Yuna Kim and they see the international recognition she has received through her talent and hard work. So they are darn proud of her and they love her for it. The rivary with Japanese skater is a side bar. They would be as excited if Yuna had to out do an American, or Russian or any other figure skating power house and their base of admiration for her would be the same. She went out and worked hard and conquered the figure skating world single handedly. It is a motto Koreans live by and she is a personification extraordinaire of that national motto.

ITA.

I would prefer Yuna's rivals not to be Japanese. There is so much historical baggage that really detracts from the Yuna's achievements.

aurora100

Final Flight
ITA.

I would prefer Yuna's rivals not to be Japanese. There is so much historical baggage that really detracts from the Yuna's achievements.

I agree with you on this point. It would be the same if her rivalry was American as there is a strong anti-US sentiment in Korea. If her skating rivalry was with a Canadian or German skater or Italian, it would be just about figure skating as I don't know of known hostility with these countries and Korea.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I didn't believe that was what she said. Translations are tricky. It's pretty easy for the media to distort words for their own advantage. And that applies to both Japanese and Korean media outlets, because they both profit from stirring the rivalry.

Where I see the distortion is not the mainstream media in Japan, which has a lot of Yuna praises. Some even seem to be angry that Japanese media seems too much biased towards the Yuna side. It's the Internet and lower-level weekly magazines where you'd find the ugliest things.

cooper

Medalist
In other news....Yuna made the nomination list for Time Magazine's top 100 most influential people in the world for 2010! I hope her fans will vote for her and Joannie too!

CLICK TO VOTE

Joannie made the list, too!