Yuna Kim | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
I cannot find Yu-Na, Kim's olympic long program on internet. Can some someone give me a link?

L

lowtherlore

Yuna looks tall. I'm convinced she's not 5'4" she looks more like 5'7". Has anyone met her and knows her true height?

Last year I saw her with her sneakers on. In person she looked rather petite and I believe 5'4" is about right. I don't know whether she's grown since then though. I think her slim constitution and long limbs make her look taller in pictures.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Yuna looks tall. I'm convinced she's not 5'4" she looks more like 5'7". Has anyone met her and knows her true height?

Yu-na has long legs, that's probably why she looks taller than she actually is. It's the same w/my brother; he's 6 foot and while that's not short by any means, he looks taller than that in pictures because he has long legs. According to this: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/02/24/2010022400425.html Yu-na's legs are almost twice the length of her body and to top it off, she has longer arms than the average person, which creates the illusion of more height. Yu-na looks taller than she actually is due to her body proportions and head-to-body ratio :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yu-na has long legs, that's probably why she looks taller than she actually is. It's the same w/my brother; he's 6 foot and while that's not short by any means, he looks taller than that in pictures because he has long legs. According to this: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/02/24/2010022400425.html Yu-na's legs are almost twice the length of her body and to top it off, she has longer arms than the average person, which creates the illusion of more height. Yu-na looks taller than she actually is due to her body proportions and head-to-body ratio :)

Oh ok, thanks for the information. That makes sense, I actually just looked at a picture from SA, and Yu Na is only about 2-3 inches taller than Rachael, I had assumed she was a lot taller than that. Her teammate, Min-Jung Kwak, is only 5'2" and has even longer limbs, it's crazy, she might still grow a few more inches though.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Comparison of Two Skaters: Yuna Kim and Mao Asada(April 2) :
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2849820/comparison_of_two_skaters_yuna_kim.html?cat=14

Yuna Kim: Skating Genius of the Century(March 30) :
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2827810/yuna_kim_skating_genius_of_the_century.html?cat=49

In conclusion, Mao, out of a total 41 entries, nationals and internationals, won 22 titles, 10 silvers, and 3 bronzes, with a winning rate 54% (22/41) and a 85% (35/41) podium clinching rate, while Kim, out of a total of 33 entries, won 25 titles, 5 silvers and 3 bronzes, with a 76% (25/33) winning rate and a 100% (33/33) podium clinching rate.

.......... Katarina witt has, since 16, 78% (16/23) winning rate and 87%(20/23) podium clinching rate excluding her 8 straight GDR national titles. For over a decade of her long career, she maintained a 62%(24/39) of wining rate and 77% (30/39) of podium clinching rate.

Michelle Kwan has a stellar record too. Since her senior debut, her wining rate was 50%(15/30) and podium clinching rating 97%(29/30) missing only one occasion -- 2005 world championship -- in which she placed at fourth. Her life time winning rate is 77%(37/48) and podium clinching rate 88%(42/48), but with US national competitions taken into account, her wining rate and podium clinching rate are 80%(45/56) and 89%(50/56), respectively.

--------------
I have a question. According to this article, Yuna's 100% podium record(total 33) includes ones only since senior debut?

Witt's lifetime entries were 39(fewer than I expected) and Kwan's entries 56. Well, I think they were great considering the longevity factor too.

--------------
edit. I read other writings there so I seriously doubt whether these are articles written by reporters for publication. In another 'article', another author says that she think Mao is by far the better figure skater than Yuna.
Kim Yu-Na to Be Dethroned at 2010 Figure Skating Worlds? (March 1) :
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2750139/kim_yuna_to_be_dethroned_at_2010_figure.html?cat=14
Even though I have never read such audacious insistance from so called 'articles' and I don't agree with the author, I think it's just her opiinion and we can dicuss it without hating her. There might be some relevant points in her 'writing' or not.

Last edited:

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
That's interesting article. though i don't find any mean to compare those rate
But i have to say, including National Championship is not fair. because it depends on the depth of ladies field in that country.
I mean Yu-na has won Korea National title for 7 or 8 years. In other hand, Mao won both 2 novice A title and novice B title. But she was allowed to compete at junior and seniot National. This rate include those " not the right " National. Without those, she missed podium only twice,I think.

Iscariot

On the Ice
But i have to say, including National Championship is not fair. because it depends on the depth of ladies field in that country.
I mean Yu-na has won Korea National title for 7 or 8 years. In other hand, Mao won both 2 novice A title and novice B title. But she was allowed to compete at junior and seniot National. This rate include those " not the right " National. Without those, she missed podium only twice,I think.

Yuna has won 5 times nationals, since 2007 she hasnt competed there, unlike Mao who has to deal with the japanese field since 2002

parma

On the Ice
edit. I read other writings there so I seriously doubt whether these are articles written by reporters for publication. In another 'article', another author says that she think Mao is by far the better figure skater than Yuna.
Kim Yu-Na to Be Dethroned at 2010 Figure Skating Worlds? (March 1) :
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2750139/kim_yuna_to_be_dethroned_at_2010_figure.html?cat=14
Even though I have never read such audacious insistance from so called 'articles' and I don't agree with the author, I think it's just her opiinion and we can dicuss it without hating her. There might be some relevant points in her 'writing' or not.

Obviously she doesn't know a thing about figure skating and some things she says are not even based on facts. First of all, her point could have been easily delivered without the inflammatory tone she persists throughout the writing. It is so hawkish she puts some of most hardcore Mao enthusiasts at Goldenskate to shame. Then she never cares to compare side by side the programs each skater performed in the competition. She never mentions how Mao's program has been considered as a PCS flop by many experts (and obviously by judges as well) to begin with. And then there is the part about spins. I wouldn't start about whose spin is better because that is not the point; it becomes obvious that her claim that Yuna's spins were slower than Mao's is simply false if you compare their spins side by side. There is a NBC video clip on Youtube that shows their programs in a split screen. I wouldn't go to any further because it is just waste of time.

Only thing that seems to be overrated here is Ms. Horton's title as a reporter (if that is indeed her title) or her writing being called as an "article."

Last edited:

sunny0760

On the Ice

Yuna has won 5 times nationals, since 2007 she hasnt competed there, unlike Mao who has to deal with the japanese field since 2002

Thank you Iscariot for pointing that.
And I agree with ayayukiituka in that winning at the US/Japan Nationals is not the same at Korean Nationals.:laugh: Who beat Mao at Nationals when she was very young? (Sorry, I am lazy)

In order to find out meaning for the comparison, we should count in only international competitions since the senior debut. It's true Yuna was/has been on the podium 100% in that case. I know Mao missed the podium twice in 2009. Kwan missed once. How about Witt?

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Thank you Iscariot for pointing that.
And I agree with ayayukiituka in that winning at the US/Japan Nationals is not the same at Korean Nationals.:laugh: Who beat Mao at Nationals when she was very young? (Sorry, I am lazy)

Very true. The Yu-na fan in me wants to point out that Yu-na beat all the seniors in her country since age 12 (maybe 13?), which is a stunning accomplishment in itself. She has always been Korea's prominent talent.

parma

On the Ice
Yuna's agent just announced that she will make an official announcement about her future plan at the end of May.