Yuna Kim | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

youtubo

Rinkside
Kwan missed 4 times since senior.

She should have excluded Nationals.

Michelle Kwan 18 wins out of 36 events in International level (12yrs period) vs. Yuna Kim 13 wins out of 18 events Intern. (4 yrs).
Yuna could tie Kwan's 18 wins with one more season. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

aurora100

Final Flight
Yuna's agent just announced that she will make an official announcement about her future plan at the end of May.

Ok, so what's it gonna be. Will she won't she?

My bet is that she will retire from competitive skating, join the US Stars on Ice, and bring Stars on Ice to Korea and Asia...and revive the Pro Skating Circuit, and make Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic happy...and

☆Genie

Rinkside
Yuna has won 5 times nationals, since 2007 she hasnt competed there, unlike Mao who has to deal with the japanese field since 2002

Yes, Mao has more chances of winning and medalling. bUt then again Korea never really had a promising field in skating for many years until YuNa. And Mao had to deal with the tough field in Japanese Nationals. Surprised she won 4 straight times.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Mao won not only senior national 4 times but novice national 4 times,which is all year she stayed.
She is only young lady that won all novice competitions. If including man,there are Kozuka and Mao.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Very true. The Yu-na fan in me wants to point out that Yu-na beat all the seniors in her country since age 12 (maybe 13?), which is a stunning accomplishment in itself. She has always been Korea's prominent talent.

Yes, but until recently Korea's seniors were not all that formidable. Yes, winning the senior title at age 12 is a huge accomplishment in any country, but let's face it she would not have won if she was skating for japan or even for the U.S.

Mao was 7th in her country in 2002-3 season, 8th the next year. She did not medal until she started skating as a senior of the GP cicrcut in the 2005-6 olympic season. It would be hard to say that Mao was not a huge talent as a young girl despite not winning her nationals.

youtubo

Rinkside
Yes, but until recently Korea's seniors were not all that formidable. Yes, winning the senior title at age 12 is a huge accomplishment in any country, but let's face it she would not have won if she was skating for japan or even for the U.S.

Mao was 7th in her country in 2002-3 season, 8th the next year. She did not medal until she started skating as a senior of the GP cicrcut in the 2005-6 olympic season. It would be hard to say that Mao was not a huge talent as a young girl despite not winning her nationals.
Dont forget Yuna's Youth. A nation with no FS history, quality of coaches, facilities and everything else that would make her competitive wasn't there. It's just amazing what she have accomplished!

Ren

On the Ice
Wow. How the heck would she ever be able to go to school like a normal person?
Don't go to a Korean university? :biggrin: Seriously, though, she's too famous in Korea. She'll either have to shrug off the curiosity and scrutiny like a duck shakes off water, or she will have to think of how to get her education in another way. Like, for example, consider schooling in Canada, I suppose.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
It would be hard to say that Mao was not a huge talent as a young girl despite not winning her nationals.

I never meant that. I was just pointing out that Yu-na's great for one reason and Mao, for another. I didn't think it was necessary to point out that Mao's accomplishments are astonishing because that had already been established. I always try to give compliments where due. I mean, come on, who here would ever say Mao's not a great talent? :laugh: Both girls are great.

cooper

Medalist
http://cafe.daum.net/usembassy/I2bb/68

Kathleen Stephens, US ambassador to Korea, wrote on her blog that YuNa had sent a handwritten letter to Hillary Clinton, Madame Secretary, appreciating her gracious words toward YuNa's gold medal performance in Vancouver.

Hit the "read it in Korean" button below the linked webpage, you can see the untranslated letter in Korean handwritten by YuNa.
Below is the translated version of the letter. Very sweet and thoughtful words from YuNa :)

Dear Madam Secretary,

My name is Yu-Na Kim, and I am a South Korean figure skater. As you could imagine, although the 2010 Winter Olympic Games have come to an end, I am still overwhelmed with joy. It was an unforgettable experience that will remain cherished in my memory.

I owe my achievement in Vancouver to the passionate dedication of my coaching staff and the wholehearted devotion of my family. The affectionate support of my beloved fans has also been a source of tremendous energy.

It was very humbling to read newspapers reporting that you had complimented my performance. It was all the more touching as I have always held deep admiration for the inspiring woman that you are and the momentous work that you do.

As I strive to do better on the ice, it is highly motivating to know that more people are enjoying my performance and that your thoughts are with me, Madam Secretary. I will push myself harder.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and gracious words. May God bless you and your family with good health and success.

Sincerely yours,

Yu-Na Kim

South Korean figure skater

parma

On the Ice
http://cafe.daum.net/usembassy/I2bb/68

Kathleen Stephens, US ambassador to Korea, wrote on her blog that YuNa had sent a handwritten letter to Hillary Clinton, Madame Secretary, appreciating her gracious words toward YuNa's gold medal performance in Vancouver.

Hit the "read it in Korean" button below the linked webpage, you can see the untranslated letter in Korean handwritten by YuNa.
Below is the translated version of the letter. Very sweet and thoughtful words from YuNa :)

Dear Madam Secretary,

My name is Yu-Na Kim, and I am a South Korean figure skater. As you could imagine, although the 2010 Winter Olympic Games have come to an end, I am still overwhelmed with joy. It was an unforgettable experience that will remain cherished in my memory.

I owe my achievement in Vancouver to the passionate dedication of my coaching staff and the wholehearted devotion of my family. The affectionate support of my beloved fans has also been a source of tremendous energy.

It was very humbling to read newspapers reporting that you had complimented my performance. It was all the more touching as I have always held deep admiration for the inspiring woman that you are and the momentous work that you do.

As I strive to do better on the ice, it is highly motivating to know that more people are enjoying my performance and that your thoughts are with me, Madam Secretary. I will push myself harder.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and gracious words. May God bless you and your family with good health and success.

Sincerely yours,

Yu-Na Kim

South Korean figure skater

Is she awesome or what. Attributing her success to others around her in the letter to the Secretary of State of a foreign country. So humble, yet confident.

Last edited:
:love: Secretary of State Clinton is also Michelle Kwan's boss as a State Department envoy. Figure skating rules! Today the White House, tomorrow the world!

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
:laugh: at Yuna!!!!

Yuna’s charming expression about her mistakes

on April 6, 2010 2:08 PM

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2935/capture1af.jpg

Seoul , Korea – After her mistakes in the short program of the World Figure Championships in Turin, the Korean star figure skater Yuna Kim posted a charming message on her personal home page.

She put up a picture of herself her with the caption “Want some cereal?” In the photo, she is holding a spoon of cereal and hasn’t yet removed her makeup for the short program.

She also commented below the photo, “After ruining the short program, I’m eating cereal at my hotel ^_^b,” showing her feelings humorously after her bad performance.

http://trends.korea.com/yuna’s-charming-expression-about-her-mistakes/

cooper

Medalist
Is she awesome or what. Attributing her success to others around her in the letter to the Secretary of State of a foreign country. So humble, yet confident.

While reading her letter it seems to me that Yuna is not retiring. Hehe. ;)

Last edited:

ryoko

Rinkside

I don't mean to offend you but it seems to me that you have nothing good to say about Yuna or Korean skating field in general. Every skater's case is different and we never know what might have happened in the past. Based on your posts in other threads it is clear to me that Kim is far from your favorite skaters and I am confused why you would keep coming to this thread sharing about mao so kindly. It is annoying to see some Yuna fans who just can't seem to stop talking about mao in this thread but it is equally annoying to see some ppl keep repeating "Yuna is good but..." in Yu-na News thread. :disapp:

Can we please just talk about topics r/t this thread?

chloepoco

Medalist
I don't mean to offend you but it seems to me that you have nothing good to say about Yuna or Korean skating field in general. Every skater's case is different and we never know what might have happened in the past. Based on your posts in other threads it is clear to me that Kim is far from your favorite skaters and I am confused why you would keep coming to this thread sharing about mao so kindly. It is annoying to see some Yuna fans who just can't seem to stop talking about mao in this thread but it is equally annoying to see some ppl keep repeating "Yuna is good but..." in Yu-na News thread. :disapp:

Can we please just talk about topics r/t this thread?

It seems to be inevitable that every Yuna thread has Mao's name brought up, and every Mao thread has Yuna's name broght up. That's just the way it is. Have you seen the "Mao's Potential Plans" thread--for a long while there, every post was about Yuna. And I actually don't see anything wrong with a poster coming to this thread saying something nice about Mao, just as there is nothing wrong about someone saying something nice about Yuna on a Mao thread. If you're only interested in reading about how wonderful Yuna is, maybe you should go to her forum only, and disregard all other forums.

Last edited: