Yuna Kim | Page 264 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Oh yes, in that way I agree with you. But you know, men's and women's events are different, there will be so much drama in ladies competition.

Oh yeah, should've said at peace instead. They are very similar skaters, and both the best of their time in their field. The similarities are infinite. Thankfully, not extending to medals being robbed.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Girl, it makes me sad as hell :scowl: I'm glad for Yuzu, he got his deserved 2nd Gold :agree:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Yuna should have been a Two-Time Olympic Champion at Sochi. And then followed by Yuzu here. These two are history makers.

jaylee

Medalist
Happy for Yuzuru that he won the OGM, but it felt bittersweet.

Other folks have noted that Yuzuru's career has had parallels to Yuna, including the following:
- Winner of everything at the junior level
- First worlds: won bronze medal
- Won first Olympic gold medal for their country in their discipline
- Struggle with injuries led to fewer world titles than expected; more GPF wins than world titles.
- Have the same coach

And in this season, leading up to their second Olympics, each had serious injuries that caused withdrawal from Grand Prix circuit and much speculation about their readiness.

Key differences though: Yuna was clean in both SP & FS of every major Worlds win and Olympic medal win; Hanyu never was (and his first worlds win is controversial while none of Yuna's big wins were). And at their second Olympics, each skated a perfect SP, followed by a FS that was relatively weaker (Hanyu's more so than Yuna's -- he missed a critical combo by putting his hands down on the quad, had the step out on the lutz, while Yuna only had a slightly shaky landing on her second lutz that she saved).

Hanyu deserved his second Olympic gold, no doubt, but I'm a little frustrated by the double standards at play. Hanyu had the fifth highest technical score in the FS but the highest PCS by a long shot, and placed second in the FS -- and I don't have a problem with that. He had lower base value and less difficult quads than the other contenders other than Javier (no quad lutz, no quad loop, no quad flip), but it's fine for him to win the OGM with less jump difficulty, whereas loads of folks incorrectly justified Yuna's placement by pointing to her lack of a triple loop (and ignoring the ridiculous tech calls that ignored other skaters's URs and flutzes). Hanyu didn't have the most difficult quads in his SP either, whereas Yuna did have the most difficult jumps in her SP.

None of this is a knock against Hanyu -- of course he deserved his second OGM win. But when you look at why he won, there's no reason that those reasons shouldn't have applied to Yuna winning in Sochi. They just weren't. A lot of the people who argued against Yuna winning in Sochi are Hanyu fans who are fine with him winning this way in Pyeongchang, and that's annoying.

https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/964751703840083968

Hanyu: Without Javi, I would not have come to Canada. Because of him, I was really able to incorporate the 4S and 4T in my program. Without him, training would have been so hard, I would not have been able to bear it.

In previous interviews, Javier noted that he went to Brian Orser because he had coached Yuna to gold. So, perhaps both Javier's Olympic bronze and Hanyu's Olympic medals can be credited indirectly to Yuna -- had she not gone to Orser when she did in her career, they never would have gone to Orser either. :) Interesting to note, though, that Yuna is the only Orser-coached skater to be clean in her Olympic medal wins, which surely has more to do with...Yuna herself.

Proxy

On the Ice
Omygosh she's so gorgeous! Love this pictorial so much :love:

Rewatched Yuna's opening ceremony skate and I couldn't help but watch all of her competitive programs again after that. Really do miss her effortless jumps and grace - I have yet to find another female skater that moves me the way she did.

It's truly amazing how her jumps were in a different league to everyone else. When you watch other skaters jump, you can see them slow down into jumps, or fight to land them. They always look like they are trying hard. Yuna, on the other hand, flew into her jumps with maximum speed and the flow was 1,000 out of 1,000. There has never been another skater with that effortless flow.

In previous interviews, Javier noted that he went to Brian Orser because he had coached Yuna to gold. So, perhaps both Javier's Olympic bronze and Hanyu's Olympic medals can be credited indirectly to Yuna -- had she not gone to Orser when she did in her career, they never would have gone to Orser either. :) Interesting to note, though, that Yuna is the only Orser-coached skater to be clean in her Olympic medal wins, which surely has more to do with...Yuna herself.
:agree:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
^I think people pointed out Yuna's "imperfection" due to the fact that Sochi was controversial and they were trying to defend the winner by finding fault in Yuna's routines. Hanyu's win, on the other hand, had no controversy in it.

Sochi was a farce but we have Yuna lighting the Olympic Cauldron so it was a BIG redemption.

breadstal

Record Breaker
you've said it all, i'm sure she would wish she could've had it easier but this is such an important part of her legacy

(removed quote which was from a now removed post)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jasmine24

Spectator
I really apprieciate everything that you all have written about Yuna's career and herself as a skater.
I just also want to add one more thing, that is I believe Yuna is the only skater whom I've ever heard described as "the music itself" by commentators, and I wholeheartedly agree with that.
For me, even the most so-called expressive skaters only seem to try to skate "with" the music. But Yuna doesn't just interpret the music like any other skater, she gives life to the music. Her body movements always have a clear purpose. She's the real master of understanding music and body expressiveness. I believe this is one of the greatest strengths of Yuna, apart from her textbook skating and jumping techniques. This is why she'll always be the untouchable Queen of Figure Skating to me.

lappo

Final Flight
you've said it all, i'm sure she would wish she could've had it easier but this is such an important part of her legacy

Same here. Frankly, she is FS legend because she won everything in a highly politicked sport against all odds (i.e. a powerful fed). Had Yuna not existed nor would the current Olympic be in Korea, just think how amazing it is to be the one with the power to start all alone such a huge thing.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I really apprieciate everything that you all have written about Yuna's career and herself as a skater.
I just also want to add one more thing, that is I believe Yuna is the only skater whom I've ever heard described as "the music itself" by commentators, and I wholeheartedly agree with that.
For me, even the most so-called expressive skaters only seem to try to skate "with" the music. But Yuna doesn't just interpret the music like any other skater, she gives life to the music. Her body movements always have a clear purpose. She's the real master of understanding music and body expressiveness. I believe this is one of the greatest strengths of Yuna, apart from her textbook skating and jumping techniques. This is why she'll always be the untouchable Queen of Figure Skating to me.

This. There are only 2 skaters I've seen who create music with their body. They are Yuna Kim and Daisuke Takahashi.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I think lots of Yuna fans here may see perhaps a parallel of Yuna and Yuzuru, And the fact that Yuzuru idolizes Yuna also helps.
Also some bitterness of Yuna's treatment in Sochi and how circumstances are completely different in Yuzuru's case

I think for me, there are a huge difference between these 2 skaters. although they are quite similar in many aspects.

the difference is that
Yuzuru really is hungry for Gold medals for his entire career to this moment.

But Yuna is not.
Yuna's second OG experience is truly transcendental in so many aspects.

Yuzuru maybe the most decorated figure skater.

but Yuna is more of a trail blazer. And she also light the Olympic torch (the trail blazer light the Olympic torch).

The legacy that Yuna is carrying weights much more than 2 olympic gold medals.

For me,
Yuna is my favorite skater of all time and also the Greatest Of All Time.

the color of one olympic medal won't change anything about what Yuna has achieved in her 2 OG journeys and who Yuna is as a figure skater.

I won't fixated on fan wars or figure skating politics or what position she should be in the history of figure skating.

Because I knew many skaters (including Yuzuru perhaps), young skaters, next generations believes that she is the greatest of all time deep in their heart.

I also don't think Yuzuru repeats Gold is any kinda of redemption for Yuna. That is Yuzuru's dream and his achievement.

EDIT: I will summarize this with Yuna's fav quote "this too shall pass".

what will be immortal is Yuna's 4 perfect inspirational performances in her 2 OG trips among many of her other great performances.

Truly one of a kind, Truly a gift .

I also don't think Yuzuru repeats Gold is any kinda of redemption for Yuna. That is Yuzuru's dream and his achievement.

That was mostly a joke. But I think I mostly said that because Yuzu could have been easily placed in the same situation. So it's more of a "redemption for fair scoring" deal, which Yuna didn't have for herself.

Proxy

On the Ice
I want to share this quote with you fellow Yuna fans. It's beautiful and moving and was used by music critic John Ardoin to describe the most famous opera singer, Maria Callas:

There are times when certain people are blessed — and cursed — with an extraordinary gift, in which the gift is almost greater than the human being. Callas was one of these people. It was as if her own wishes, her life, her own happiness were all subservient to this incredible, incredible gift.

I think the same can be said of Yuna. She seems to be one of the most admirable of people, her character and personality cut from the highest cloth. Nevertheless there is much truth that her instrument is greater than even the woman herself. Her skating spoke to tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions of people. Her greatest performances touched us in ways that not even our friends and loved ones could understand. Simply put, she was the incarnation of artistry and athleticism on ice.

But it's more than that-

Yuna inspired and taught us life lessons about discipline, hard work, respect, competitive toughness, and most of all grace and kindness. Whatever you want do in life, as a skater, as a musician, as a designer or software programmer, as a teacher or anything else, Yuna is the type of role model that makes you want to become a better person. A Korean advertising executive recently said in the newspaper: "Yuna is not just a skating star, but many people compare her to something like a goddess."

That is a very, very heavy burden to bear.

An ordinary person cannot do it, but we need rare people like Yuna Kim in this world. She gives people hope. Through her skating. Through her public appearances. Through her philanthropy. Through anything she sets her mind out to do.

After Pyeongchang 2018, she may decide to pursue "her own wishes and happiness" as that quote about Callas suggests-- she has earned the right to decide for herself. But sometimes the instrument is more important than the person, and I think Yuna will come to accept that responsibility over time. In many ways she already has. There was more than a little symbolism in watching a North Korean and a South Korean jointly carry the Olympic torch side-by-side up an impossibly difficult flight of steps...an arduous journey, before ultimately passing off the flame to Yuna herself.