Yuna Kim | Page 267 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Proxy

On the Ice
The story of the Korean "Garlic Girls", the biggest stars of the Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetor...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180220

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...girls-south-korean-curlers-a-global-sensation

There are countless articles and social media posts about them, I just picked some but you can look at all the memes and everything. This is a delight to watch and I will be rooting for them to win the Gold medal on Sunday.

I'm sure when Yuna helped to bring the Olympics to South Korea in 2018, she did it for stories like this one. New athletes like "Sunny", "Yogurt", "Pancake", and "Steak" who become superstars overnight. Dabin Choi who had the skates of her life on home ice with the packed stadium cheering for her so loud. Wonderful Yuna! You deserve a lot of praise for helping to create the right environment for success and recognition for these athletes that you, yourself did not receive when you first started out.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
The story of the Korean "Garlic Girls", the biggest stars of the Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetor...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180220

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...girls-south-korean-curlers-a-global-sensation

There are countless articles and social media posts about them, I just picked some but you can look at all the memes and everything. This is a delight to watch and I will be rooting for them to win the Gold medal on Sunday.

I'm sure when Yuna helped to bring the Olympics to South Korea in 2018, she did it for stories like this one. New athletes like "Sunny", "Yogurt", "Pancake", and "Steak" who become superstars overnight. Dabin Choi who had the skates of her life on home ice with the packed stadium cheering for her so loud. Wonderful Yuna! You deserve a lot of praise for helping to create the right environment for success and recognition for these athletes that you, yourself did not receive when you first started out.

ahhh, such heartwarming story, 1st time hearing it since i dont follow curling much (but find it enjoyable to watch!) thanks for sharing :thank: and i agree, Yuna must be so proud :luv17:

breadstal

Record Breaker
Someone mentioned in another thread that she was there with a dude who maybe was her (?) boyfriend? :shocked:

Also, what's the second GIF a reaction to? Looks a little like shade, hehe.

Isn't that June-hyoung though? He looks like him :laugh: I'm not sure who she reacted to but it's indeed looks like it lol

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Someone mentioned in another thread that she was there with a dude who maybe was her (?) boyfriend? :shocked:

Also, what's the second GIF a reaction to? Looks a little like shade, hehe.

lol June-hyoung would've been hounded by the media now.

Speaking of June-hyoung, wasn't he a commentator for the men's? Would love to read what he said in the event....

figuredream

Spectator
Marie Claire did a (pre-olympic?) interview with Yuna. There is a Chinese version (translated from the original) on weibo. I translated (imperfectly perhaps) her quotes from the Chinese version:)

On why she still looks twenty
“That’s because I have aged gradually. When I was an athlete and still growing I had to watch my weight, but after I turned twenty, my appetite decreased, my weight hasn’t really changed. After I retired the core muscles will weaken so I continued doing some strengthening exercises to preserve my figure. But sometimes I find it really tedious/too busy, recently I pretty much haven’t done it.’

On the magazine shoot
‘When they were styling I saw that they had dyed my hair to look like a doll, it felt a bit strange, but I liked the end result on film. This time the clothes are something I don’t normally wear, to be able to try a new style makes me happy.’

‘I cherish the sense of trust that comes from long term relationship. Whether it is family, friends or colleagues I treat them with sincerity and they treat me with sincerity too, at these moments I feel really privileged/happy/lucky’

On the Olympics
‘Although preparing for the winter Olympics takes a lot of strength from a lot of people, everyone wants to do their best. But for me, I am half worried half expecting. After I retired I saw my juniors grow, that feeling is so different from when I was competing. I have a deep awareness of the difficult journey it takes to represent your country at the Olympics, so I will be happy for those who make it to the Olympics, at the same time my heart hurts for those who were unfortunately unable to make it, how they must want to compete at the Olympics. The most important thing is, the athletes who compete remain healthy and do what they are able to do in practice and for those who did not make it- the Olympics is not everything in an athletic career, I hope that life after the Olympics will be good to them.

On life after retirement
‘After the Olympics ended I enjoyed a period of relaxation. Some people think I am always busy, but actually because it is not a 9-5 job, it is possible to have leisure time/relax amidst the busyness. When I am resting I like to listen to music, watch movies, watch performances. And I travel very often. Especially when I am listening to music (concerts), I feel so full of joy. When I first retired I was worried when I went out if people would notice/recognize me but when I really went out, no one noticed me. (laughs) When I realized this truth, I went frequently to performances and I travel a lot in the country, these four years I have fully enjoyed my freedom.’

On turning 30 (in Korean age)
’19 to 25 was a colorful period in my life and sometimes, inevitably I feel like I am still living in that period. But actually, I don’t feel like I am already 29 (in Korean age), so I don’t feel like this (pre-30) year is special. The uniqueness of a figure skating life is this, both success and retirement comes early but you cannot neglect your post-skating life because of this. When I started skating I didn’t do it because I wanted to be famous, when I became known sometimes because of that there were a lot of calculations (had to think a lot), I felt tired/frustrated/fatigued. I am deeply grateful to all those who supported me, who loved me. I feel the definition of success and happiness depends on you. To give everything to try to reach your goal, to live without regret, to satisfy yourself, that is a successful life. ‘

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
welcome to GS figuredream!! post long as often :dance3:

and what agreat 1st post! thanks a lot! as i said before this Marie Claire shot was one of my favourite (maybe the most!!) thanks for translating :love:

When I started skating I didn’t do it because I wanted to be famous, when I became known sometimes because of that there were a lot of calculations (had to think a lot), I felt tired/frustrated/fatigued. I am deeply grateful to all those who supported me, who loved me. I feel the definition of success and happiness depends on you. To give everything to try to reach your goal, to live without regret, to satisfy yourself, that is a successful life. ‘

:pray::(:luv17:

Are they still on bad terms? :(

I doubt that they're not willing to work it out... Maybe they did meet in Korea, maybe they didn't. If it takes time, it does. Just hope when the time comes, they're both willing.

But also, if it was too much for them, then they might not. So it's good they have appreciation for each other.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Are they still on bad terms? :(

I doubt that they're not willing to work it out... Maybe they did meet in Korea, maybe they didn't. If it takes time, it does. Just hope when the time comes, they're both willing.

But also, if it was too much for them, then they might not. So it's good they have appreciation for each other.

i dont think they are on bad terms, Brian said they greet eachother and Yuna congratulated Yuzu at Sochi but they are not close either, i remember Brian saying he thought he would even attend Yuna's wedding, thats how close they were

i dont think they are on bad terms, Brian said they greet eachother and Yuna congratulated Yuzu at Sochi but they are not close either, i remember Brian saying he thought he would even attend Yuna's wedding, thats how close they were

Well, maybe he still will. Who knows?

WineHerUp

On the Ice
Aww Brian :(. That was so sweet. The 2018 Olympics really was the Olympics of Brian Orser and his pupils. Yuna got her Olympics, Yuzu got his second gold, Javi finally got his medal, and Jun got to skate three amazing skates in front of his home country.

Izabela

On the Ice
Hi! I just want to come here and say I miss Yuna so much after this Olympics. I've been a fan since 2009 and I just rewatched all her programs (Adios Nonino is still her most sublime) and safe to say I'm currently having a withdrawal LOL. Her great musicality is something that I will forever miss in figure skating. And just letting you know that I read this entire 357 pages so thank you for providing me my Yuna fix. (Made an account to say this to y'all.

And I am still hoping that she will do a gala someday. *CHEERS!