Yuna Kim | Page 279 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

It really tells a lot when I have to go back and watch Scheherezade to know why you don’t like the stsq. It lacks the nuance that she usually displays and again, music has layers and IMO they only hit the surface of the music here.

Pretty much. The music had such nice build, and yet they don't make her vary her speed too much, she's bending down for some reason at the beginning for some cues, she does a random move to the "ting!", she does twizzles towards the end very slowly. She is also kind of lose with her arms, surprisingly.
the way they built up the stsq for that spsq is the most seamless spiral sequence Yuna has ever done, and her best in terms of bringing out the music. (Yuna’s best stsq for me is her AN one but in terms of intricacy I may have to agree).

I think the StSq might be her best show of her musicality, minus her debut routines. The first few times I saw it, some of her steps didn't make all that much sense to me, though I still thought it was a great step sequence. It just turned out I wasn't listening as well as she was. The only reason I said "She captured nearly every nuance", is because maybe I still am not. But then, she probably was. I did think she missed a really subtle one to the percussion though (right before she emotes to the judges).

Are we skipping the Olympics here because while I do think she was overscored on her LP (and so were almost everyone in that comp to be honest :laugh:), it’s impossible for me to score her without putting into consideration the event, the atmosphere, the pressure, the hype and the way she cried at the end. That moment is just so magical like I don’t want to point out her faults haha.

You should do it, it was "your" turn next. I just had to do these to make up for Scheherezade.

Giselle and HtK are two of those programs I wanted to see more. But we cannot change history :sad21:
:/

Izabela

On the Ice
Ok, here goes

Yuna Kim
Gershwin Concerto in F

3Lz+3T / +1.5 / 11.35 - Her landing on the 3T could have been smoother. I like her entry to this though, right on to the music.

3F / +2 / 6.7 - I personally love everything about this flip. She could have done her usual steps to enter this flip but that she didn’t takes away the one point. But look at her running edge to the exit and also the transition after it. I may be blinded by that :laugh:

2A+2T+2Lo / +1.5 / 7.9 - To anyone who wants to know what commentators say when they say the jumps are right to the music, this is it. When I was watching it, I couldn’t even tell if the twirl that I was hearing was coming from her blades, or the actual part of the music. This is how perfect this combo is in terms of giving life to the notes. And for all the ladies right now putting tanos on their jumps, this is also how you do it ;)

FCoSp4 / +1 / 4. 0 - She didn’t get much height on her her flying camel, but her positions are well held, less travel and again, right to the music.

2A+3T / +1.5 / - 9.4 - Could have done more with better entry.

3S / +.5 / 5.45 - Have a better height on her Salchow than she previously exhibited. But that landing is not ideal.

3Lz / +1.5 / 7. 05 - Again, could have done more with the entry. But this Lutz, and all her jumps in this program to be honest, are so seamlessly interwoven with the music. And that exit and transition!

SlSt3 / +2 / 4.3 - I think the judges are just about right in judging this step sequence. I like this. She may not have hit all the notes here but the gentleness and smoothness of her steps also capture the jazzy feeling of Concerto, there are also moments in this step sequence where it feels like she’s the one playing the music. That part when she raised both of her hands to emphasize that sharp piano rhythm (I don’t know how to explain this well) is so mesmerizing. Again, nothing feels so rushed to this entire sequence.

2A / +1 / 3.8 - This looks like an afterthought lol

FSSp4 / +1 / 4. 0 - Nicely done. Positions were held well, little to no travel.

CCoSp4 / +1. 5 / 4.25 - Again, could have been faster but otherwise I love how this close her program.

TES: 68.2

SS - 8. 75 - Very good flow, speed and edge work. Imagine if she skated El Tango with this level of blade control. This particular program also showcased how she can gain speed when she needs to.

TR - 8.25 - What’s great about Yuna’s transitions here is that there is nothing in any of her movements that distracts you from the music. Everything is rightfully placed to, as Robert Cousins said, hold this program together. From her simple arm movement, to her simple steps going in and out of transition, is gentle and graceful and do not overwhelm or underwhelm Gershwin’s Concerto in F. Again, my mileage here is that what transitions better bring out the music, and not how many she puts in there.

PE - 8.75 - Yuna makes fine lines in her body and her carriage tells you that she knows how to dance. There’s a reason why she is called graceful on ice. Her movements also gives off the feeling of Concerto’s classical as well as jazzy intention. Again, to echo Cousins here, nothing is extraneous here.

CO - 8.50 - I like this composition. They could have changed the placement of her two spins but on the other hand, I think if you make even one change here, the whole choreography will fall down. Again, as I’ve mentioned in the TR, every single move that Yuna did here holds the choreography together. The unity of the program is beautifully tied to the music, as well as the rise and fall of Yuna’s movement.

IN - 8.5 - She is my standard for musicality for a reason. There are minor parts in this program where she missed some music cues (I’m looking at her entry to spiral sequence and some of her arm movement in the beginning of the program), but the interpretation is so well done. In the beginning, I didn’t like the cuts they used for her Concerto in F but the way she translated the music with her movements makes everything look so organized and organic to me.

PCS : 68.4

I don't think this program should break the 140pts mark to be honest, but that's more on the general side regarding programs then and now. But the moment they gave that score to Lepisto, they have nothing else to do but increase every score. :laugh:This program is not on my top 3 list, but it remains one of her most memorable programs for me. And when I want to experience what makes Yuna magical, this is the program I watch to be honest. It's that beautiful Olympic moment IMO everyone wants to have.

Again, my mileage here is that what transitions better bring out the music, and not how many she puts in there.
Agreed, they should enhance the program, not make the program.

The thing with this routine is that while the choreography or the elements aren't themselves brilliant, the musical timing of those elements is. My favourite is that 2A-3T (very surprised you gave it only +1.5!). The music rises for the -3T, and she has more pop on it than her 2A.

Wouldn't give this higher PCS than HtK (around 67, maybe). But then she did pop jumps in HtK.

Izabela

On the Ice
Oh no, I like the 2A-3T, particularly that 3T. I would just like it better with a more creative entry. But you’re right, this is a lovely combo and it’s insteresting the change in speed here. Like she entered this combo with a fast tempo, and closed it with that subtle mellow notes. Again, right to the music.

And agreed that the brilliance of this program is how everything is held together. I’ve never seen a skater as musical as Yuna, to be honest. Even complicated music compositions don’t always pan out so well, or sound good.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
+ Stephane Lambiel ☺.

Ha of course! He is one of Yuna's all time favs. He is practically an honourable statesman of the show, I don't think he has ever missed any of the ATS events which Yuna has taken part.

Btw you who are incredibly tough and objective judges pcs, are you judging for the Korea nationals standard pre-vancouver or what? ;) Today baby Alina get 75s for repeated junior programs (who got beaten by Marin in PCS only 1 yr ago)... that's all. I mean not even 70? :drama:

Btw you who are incredibly tough and objective judges pcs, are you judging for the Korea nationals standard pre-vancouver or what? ;) Today baby Alina get 75s for repeated junior programs (who got beaten by Marin in PCS only 1 yr ago)... that's all. I mean not even 70? :drama:

Hahaha. In comparison it would be higher :slink: But other than that, if we gave 70+ to all programs, then we won't be able to enjoy the real gems, right? That's the same as should happen nowadays, IMO. Separate the good from the truly great. Everyone should have the pre-Vancouver Korean national standards! :biggrin: Maybe that's why Yuna was so good. :p

(I don't think any program this season should cross 70. Wakaba's Bond might come close.)

Izabela

On the Ice

LOL, it would be raining +3s and 9s and the scoring would not be so fun then! I would like to do this again if ISU passed the +-5 GOE proposal and see how she would still get those +4 and +5s :laugh:

AND I'm ashamed that I never really followed Yuna's competitions for the Korean nationals and have zero knowledge how that workd pre-Vancouver :palmf: So the joke went over my head. LOL

LOL, it would be raining +3s and 9s and the scoring would not be so fun then! I would like to do this again if ISU passed the +-5 GOE proposal and see how she would still get those +4 and +5s :laugh:

AND I'm ashamed that I never really followed Yuna's competitions for the Korean nationals and have zero knowledge how that workd pre-Vancouver :palmf: So the joke went over my head. LOL

The benchmarks she established would still be benchmarks. ;)

(Les Mis SS: 9.5, TR: 9, PE: 10, CO: 9.5, IN: 10 -- 76.8. Not even four marks more than what I gave her, though, so maybe this is too low?)

I haven't watched them, but they're supposed to have very high standards. I think even now Jun Hwan Cha had to go through a series of competitions to finally get to his home Olympics? :drama:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Hahaha. In comparison it would be higher :slink: But other than that, if we gave 70+ to all programs, then we won't be able to enjoy the real gems, right? That's the same as should happen nowadays, IMO. Separate the good from the truly great. Everyone should have the pre-Vancouver Korean national standards! :biggrin: Maybe that's why Yuna was so good. :p

(I don't think any program this season should cross 70. Wakaba's Bond might come close.)

Hey tough love is good. I agree about Wakaba, the only SP worth the mettle for the ladies. Too many repeats...or similar type of programs this year.

It is good you are tough... just curious how would you score her El Tango SP sr. season debut. At least they were the same age.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2007/wc07_Ladies_SP_scores.pdf

Yeah don't get me started on the GOEs, i was wayy annoyed when they handicapped her by reducing 30% GOEs just after Vancouver and make it all about quantity, and noted it was obviously and especially targeting at her and thought it was really fishy. Everyone else on GS was like oh no, it isn't so because a,b,c,d ... and guess what, the moment she's retired, ISU decide to bring it back with a vengence. And the decider happen to be Lakernik, come on.. how can it not look well dodgy !!??

Hey tough love is good. I agree about Wakaba, the only SP worth the mettle for the ladies. Too many repeats...or similar type of program.

It is good you are tough... just curious how would you score her El Tango SP sr. season debut. At least they were the same age.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2007/wc07_Ladies_SP_scores.pdf

I already did! Izabela and I are scoring in preparation for her new programs in ATS!

Revisiting her first ever worlds performances, because why not? :yes2:

(Current system. Spirals regarded as ChSq in LP)

El Tango de Roxanne, W07
3F-3T +2.5/+1.75 So this was the first ever glance into a perfect 3F-3T on a Worlds stage, I think? Settled down after completing all rotations in the air. 11.35
FSSp3 +1.5/+0.75 Could be a little more fine-tuned to the music, but nice positions, speed, centering. 3.35
3Lz +2/+1.4 Is there anything that needs to be said? Well, she landed it on beat, too. 8.00
StSq3 +2/+1 It's so annoying I can mark this only as level "3" when it's so much better than 90% of the level 4 ones we see today. So much fire, practically all the nuances captured (except for a few at the beginning, right before she did those twizzles). 4.30
LSp4 +2/+1 She accelerated in her sideways position, to emphasise the music. 3.70
2A +1.5/0.75 Not yet at the "I'll exit using a deep outside edge and hold it for 3 years" stage, but that's just nitpicking. 4.38
CCoSp4 +1.5/0.75 Could be more fine tuned, but mostly done to the music. 4.25

TES: 39.33

SS: 8.00 Can't go higher because she trips a little after her fan spiral (and her edging during the spirals isn't always secure), but what a show!
TR: 8.25 See how she does her flying back sit after her back-catchfoot spiral after practically no set-up? Yeah, don't tell me transitions can't be done un-annoyingly.
PE: 9.00 "What a feel she has!" -- BESP uncles.
CO: 9.25 The more I watch this, the more nuances I see. Practically everything made sense in its placement with the music. That 3Lz wasn't there just for the backloading bonus.
IN: 9.25 Practically all nuances captured. Just wish the spins were a little more fine-tuned as stated, and she had captured the music a little better through her skating in the time between her sit-spin and the 3Lz.

PCS: 35.0 (Permanent lol at this getting 30.46 from the judges, when they give out 38s for the stuff we see today)

TSS: 74.33

This is my favourite SP of hers. Only Mao surpassed it in W14.

The Lark Ascending, W07
3F-3T +3/+2.1 This just somehow looks better. That 3F looked higher, and the flowing edge out of that 3T is incredible. 11.7
2A-3T +1.5/1.05 Well done. 8.65
LSp3 +1/0.5 Not that amazing, but well done. 2.9
2A +1.5/+0.75 And she already improved upon my criticism in a single night. :p 4.05
CSp4: +1/0.5 Nice spin, inoffensive to the music, but nothing amazing, I'd say. 3.1
StSq3: +1.5/0.75 Wish she'd used her arms a little better towards the end, but well done. 4.05
3Lz(fall) -3/-2.1 4.5
FSp4 +1.5/+0.75 Nice interpretation. 3.75
3Lz+SEQ(fall) -3/-2.1 3.18
3S+2T -1/-0.7 5.57 :sad21:
ChSq1 +2/+1.4 Don't care about how non-stretched-out that spiral is. Beautiful, beautiful interpretation and performance. 3.40
2A +1.5/0.75 Nicely done. 4.38
CCoSp4 +2/+1 Beautiful. 4.50

TES: 63.83 - 2 = 61.83 (how was this in the mid 50s???)

SS: 8.00 No insecure edging here, as far as I could tell, but the falls take away from the general sense of fluidity, as she loses something after her falls and takes time to recover.
TR: 7.50 Still beautiful, program's full of them, but the falls take away from the general sense of fluidity, as falls take away from the way her program meshes. Sometimes the build into a few jumps is long, too.
PE: 8.00 Wish I could go higher because she never gave up, and that spiral after all her mishaps is the loveliest moment of all. But the falls do make her take time to recover. It's not too low, because she always slips right back in.
CO: 8.50 This is a beautiful program, with all the elements well arranged. It's maddening that David Wilson can choreograph this for her, and then also her Miss Saigon, Scheherezade, and Adios Nonino. :palmf:
IN: 9.00 Would be very close to 10 if not for the falls. This is an even stronger showcase of her musicality, where every single thing was in character, and to the music. The spiral after her mishaps to the swell of the music actually adds so much to the performance.

PCS: 65.6

TSS: 127.43

...Am I being biased? What is up with those judges' scores? I guess I could knock the CO/IN a little (more -- those might just be 10 worthy if clean, really), but that would still put this into the 120s.

Yeah don't get me started on the GOEs, i was wayy annoyed when they handicapped her by reducing 30% GOEs just after Vancouver and make it all about quantity, and noted it was obviously and especially targeting at her and thought it was really fishy. Everyone else on GS was like oh no, it is not because a,b,c,d /////and guess what, the moment she retired, ISU decide to bring it back with a vengence. And the decider happen to be Lakernik, come on.. how can it not look so dodgy again!!!??

:drama: Yeah.

Izabela

On the Ice
Yeah don't get me started on the GOEs, i was wayy annoyed when they handicapped her by reducing 30% GOEs just after Vancouver and make it all about quantity, and noted it was obviously and especially targeting at her and thought it was really fishy. Everyone else on GS was like oh no, it isn't so because a,b,c,d ... and guess what, the moment she's retired, ISU decide to bring it back with a vengence. And the decider happen to be Lakernik, come on.. how can it not look well dodgy !!??

I thought it was pretty obvious that they are trying to reign in her scores post Vancouver. Not just the GOE, but the jump limits on triples and double axels, the twitching on base values, and the flattening of spiral sequence to level 1, collectively these all were against her. I remember in different forum board there's really no debate who ISU targeted for this changes, but I guess this kind of denial is a normal thing in GS :laugh:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Such a ridiculous sport really! I remember having ridiculous arguments at the time with GKelly and Mathsman, like imagine if NBA say Michael Jordan you are too good at this you are starting to make others look bad, you can now only play with one hand tied to your back, or only one foot allowed with air Jordan, the other without tying laces etc.. Such thing is inconceivable. They are now doing this rule changes for men to reign in the like of Boyang Jin, Nathen and Vincent now, 30 seconds less too, no room for artistry. It is totally dejavous.

Seriously... if they made FS truly free, Yuna would be hard to beat even without the 3loop and 3A...

(Just curious, which other forum are you talking about? FSU? OH yes the Mao rule was another obvious one, and of course that judging in Moscow for 2011 ...)

Wow SassyBondgirl is quick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMBy922StlE

Izabela

On the Ice
Such a ridiculous sport really! I remember having ridiculous arguments at the time with GKelly and Mathsman, like imagine if NBA say Michael Jordan you are too good at this you are starting to make others look bad, you can now only play with one hand tied to your back, or only one foot allowed with air Jordan, the other without tying laces etc.. Such thing is inconceivable. They are now doing this rule changes for men to reign in the like of Boyang Jin, Nathen and Vincent now, 30 seconds less too, no room for artistry. It is totally dejavous.

Seriously... if they made FS truly free, Yuna would be hard to beat even without the 3loop and 3A...

(Just curious, which other forum are you talking about? FSU? OH yes the Mao rule was another obvious one, and of course that judging in Moscow for 2011 ...)

I mean they could have had a different base values on combos if the intention is really not about trying to level the playing field by disadvantaging one skater. That's still something I don't understand though, why combos have the same base values with solos, when in terms of executions these are more difficult to do.

As for the forum board, it wasn't a fs-centered one (it's an anime forum board with fs subthread. :laugh: TOO YOUNG TO KNOW THERE ARE FS CENTERED FORUM BOARDS).

:love:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I mean they could have had a different base values on combos if the intention is really not about trying to level the playing field by disadvantaging one skater. That's still something I don't understand though, why combos have the same base values with solos, when in terms of executions these are more difficult to do.

As for the forum board, it wasn't a fs-centered one (it's an anime forum board with fs subthread. :laugh: TOO YOUNG TO KNOW THERE ARE FS CENTERED FORUM BOARDS).

Haha sophisticated animation fans :) Insightful too!

Yeah 3lz3t were really undervalued relatively to the point, 3t3t became the standard for a while just after they changed the values.

----------------------

Copy and pasted a comment i made on SassyBond's video on this piece of music:

In many ways, one can easily understand why this piece speak to her. The nostalgia, romanticism and appreciation of 'Haute Couture' are similar to how she and her team approach her programs. The painstaking process of in search for new visions, risk uncertainties, to create something original, authentic and perfectly fitting piece of work can be a solitary, lonely, frustrating and soul torching process. Skate with blood. Commitment to a higher standard of intellect, deep emotional undertaking, reasoning and self-awareness to the craft. Everything handmade, time-consuming process - meticulous to the nth degree, even though hardly obvious to the average observer, to create something that may be satisfying to the maker, but risks not readily understood or cared for. Not like 'ready - to - wear', something comes off the shelf - ever. Let alone repeats based on successful formulas. From my observation, it seems to be her philosophy and what makes her programs great: the care, attention and incredible higher standard and expectation of herself and her work. At least that is what made me a fan, the film captures the spirit of it all...

Izabela

On the Ice
In many ways, one can easily understand why this piece speak to her. The nostalgia, romanticism and appreciation of 'Haute Couture' are similar to how she and her team approach her programs. The painstaking process of in search for new visions, risk uncertainties, to create something original, authentic and perfectly fitting piece of work can be a solitary, lonely and soul torching process. Skate with blood. Commitment to a higher standard of intellect, deep emotional undertaking, reasoning and self-awareness to the craft. Everything handmade, time-consuming process - meticulous to the nth degree, even though hardly obvious to the average observer, to create something that may be satisfying to the maker, but risk not being understood or cared for. Not like 'ready - to - wear', something comes off the shelf - ever. Let alone repeat programs. From my observation, it seems to be her philosophy and what makes her programs great: the care, attention and incredible higher standard and expectation of herself and her work. At least that is what made me a fan, the film captures the spirit of it all...

House of Woodcock really works well with highlighting that part of her career too. What stands out for me regarding this music are the swells, which I think Yuna can really bring out. Nothing is torrid about this music, and it may evoke something solitary but not in comparison to Send in the Clowns. This music doesn't really communicate why someone seeks for something new (meaning the music doesn't elaborate on this), but the satisfaction someone feels when achieving something new (but maybe they are one and the same thing?. One funny thing about this is that HoW is more on the Impressionist side so I'm excited to know how Yuna the Expressionist will translate this on skate!

Gettin' it done!

SiTC, OWG14

3Lz-3T +2/+1.4 11.7
3F +2/+1.4 6.7
FCSp4 +1/0.5 Nice. 3.7
2A +2/+1 4.63
LSp3 0/0 2.4
StSq3 +2/1 Beautiful. 4.3
CCoSp4 +0.5/0.25 She barely got her foot of the ice for that feature... I won't be making level calls, so this is all I can give here. 3.75

TES: 37.18

SS: 8.75 good show, but notice how she's visibly pushing through her edges at the end of her step sequence.
TR: 8.00 Good enough, and enough flow out of her jumps to aid this mark.
PE: 8.50 Had a mature performance quality here that sat well.
CO: 8.25 There is a nice overall quality to this routine, but apart from the step sequence, there isn't much creativity. However, the elements all breathe well.
IN: 8.50 Conveys the overall emotion well through her body language.

PCS: 33.6

TSS: 70.78 (It cracked 70!!)

Adios Nonino, OWG14

3Lz-3T +2/+1.4 LOL 11.7
3F +2/+1.4 LOL 6.7
3S-2T +1.5/+1.05 Good lift, with steps before it. 6.75
FCCoSp4 +1/+0.5 Nicely done with the music. 4.00
StSq4 +2/+1.4 Remember when I said I wasn't making level calls? I lied. 5.3
3Lz +1.5/+1.05 Apart from the slight blip on the landing, good job. 7.65
2A-2T-2Lo +1.5/+0.75 Nice. 7.79
3S +1/+0.7 5.54
LSp3 0/0 2.4
ChSq1 +1.5/+1.05 3.05
2A +1.5/+0.75 4.38
CCoSp4 +0.5/+0.25 Not the best timing but good control. 3.75

TES: 69.01

PCS:

SS: 9.25 Perhaps her best show ever... Sigh.
TR: 8.00 Flow out of jumps+steps throughout+transition into 2A-2T-2Lo
PE: 8.50 Nicely contained and mature for this music, with good projection at certain moments.
CO: 8.50 Nice package for her.
IN: 8.50 Conveys the feeling of the music really well throughout, but the ChSq and the spins could have been used better.

PCS: 68.4

TES: 137.41... Should have won.

At least that's out.

Adios Nonino... Goodbye to the grandfather of her career: Figure Skating. It was also supposed to be a two-way farewell between us and her on competitive ice. She's doing an exhibition skate now.

What is this? Who's it for?

Izabela and I were scoring routines in preparation for the thing you just "AHHH!!!"ed for. Like a look-back into what we think about her past routines. :biggrin: To get ourselves excited, and to see how she's matured over the years, and what we can look forward to here.