Yuna Kim | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

I'm having such a good time looking at the links you all have provided. One of the great aspects of this whole story is how her success has affected Brian Orser. He probably thought his skating career was drawing to a close, and here he has an entire new career as a coach--and bingo, he's one of the most admired people in South Korea. How lovely to see that ceremony in Seoul granting him honorary citizenship of the city.

The comment by Hillary Clinton and the letter from YuNa to Secretary Clinton are wonderful. A handwritten letter! What a beautiful gesture of both humility and dignity. This is an example of what the Olympic movement can lead to, a moment of reaching out among three countries.

As for what YuNa is capable of in the future, she seems like a serious enough person that she will try to make the best of her fame and achievement to benefit others as well as herself and her family. There's precedent for that. A pioneering athlete in Kenya is a runner named Kip Keino. If he didn't win Kenya's first Olympic gold, he won one of the first. Today he runs a ranch where he cares for orphaned children, using his own funds and what donations he can persuade out of people. He's also built a school. All of Kenya has become a beneficiary of his Olympic glory. Of course, Korea is in much better shape as a country than Kenya is. But YuNa will have plenty of opportunity to help others either in her own country or in the world at large, and my instincts tell me that she will seize that opportunity.

prettykeys

Medalist
I have read some of this but not being in the skating loop on boards for 3 years, I did not know ALL of this like a korean would or uber fan might. Good for Yu-Na. I like her even more now (as a person). Hooray for her. As I said, and as I think even moreso now, she has done all she can in skating in terms off medals, though there is always room to improve. Her Turin performance screamed to me anyway... I don't want to be here! After seeing that photo of her on the massage/pt bench, yikes! I would not blame her if she moved to an Island with no ice for a while.

My point is (former social worker here) THINK what she can do with the money and influence for years to come. It will likely be a while before the next oly gold medalist comes from her home. I am pleased to read how caring she is. I think this helps with her success on the ice, too. Judges admire the Scott Hamiltons of the skate world.
Yes, YuNa will have the potential to do more. I am glad your ignorance regarding YuNa's character and her history of philanthropy has been corrected. I hope your ignorance regarding her, and other things, will continue to lessen; please continue to visit and read this thread. :)

aurora100

Final Flight
I'm having such a good time looking at the links you all have provided. One of the great aspects of this whole story is how her success has affected Brian Orser. He probably thought his skating career was drawing to a close, and here he has an entire new career as a coach--and bingo, he's one of the most admired people in South Korea. How lovely to see that ceremony in Seoul granting him honorary citizenship of the city.

The comment by Hillary Clinton and the letter from YuNa to Secretary Clinton are wonderful. A handwritten letter! What a beautiful gesture of both humility and dignity. This is an example of what the Olympic movement can lead to, a moment of reaching out among three countries.

As for what YuNa is capable of in the future, she seems like a serious enough person that she will try to make the best of her fame and achievement to benefit others as well as herself and her family. There's precedent for that. A pioneering athlete in Kenya is a runner named Kip Keino. If he didn't win Kenya's first Olympic gold, he won one of the first. Today he runs a ranch where he cares for orphaned children, using his own funds and what donations he can persuade out of people. He's also built a school. All of Kenya has become a beneficiary of his Olympic glory. Of course, Korea is in much better shape as a country than Kenya is. But YuNa will have plenty of opportunity to help others either in her own country or in the world at large, and my instincts tell me that she will seize that opportunity.

totally, I'm looking forward to watching what Yuna does on and off the ice; what a treat it will be

cooper

Medalist
Her Q & A during her photoshoot

Q: What do you expect for the photo shoot today?
Yuna: Most of time I show (the skating fans) the athletic side of me except for the facial expressions during my performance. So I think I can show (my fans) the offbeat side of me (during the photo shoot today).

Q: How have you been doing (since the 2010 Worlds)?
Yuna: I came back to Korea last week. I started training (to some extent). I have spent last week pretty leisurely, but starting from this week, I think I'll get pretty much busy.

Q: How's your (physical) condition today? (=> How do you feel today?)
Yuna: It's getting better as I'm eating this (now). It wasn't that good before 'cause I was hungry. I'm afraid all (my fans will see on TV) will be me eating.

Q: What's your favorite food?
Yuna: What's my least favorite will be easier to answer. I eat pretty much anything with no special preferences.

Q: What about your well-known love of Toppoki?
Yuna: (The truth is) I've never said Toppoki is my favorite but it's been reported so. (In fact) it was like this: Reporters frequently ask me, "Don't you feel like eating Toppoki with your friends?" Then I go, "Y..e..s?" then there're reports coming out that I like Toppoki.

Q: Do you think you're pretty (when you look into a mirror)?
Yuna: No. hahaha. Please don't ask me that kind of question.
:laugh::biggrin:

Q: When will you go to your college (=> When will you be taking courses at KU)?
Yuna: Well, it's a little.... hard (to do it). When I visited my college just to say hello (to the administrators and classmates).... (The show shows scenes in which Yuna was ushered through crowds (into a college building) by (how many?) guards.)

Q: How have you managed to earn college credit (for courses open at KU) ?
Yuna: There was a report that I received an F..., which is absurd. hahaha! Last year, I earned my credits by submitting homework assignments. And as of now I have no plan how to do it (in the future). I might study as an exchange student (at TU) in Toronto but I have no idea yet. I'll have to do think about it more.

Q: Your pictures with Team Korea after the 2010 Worlds attracted a ton of attention from your fans.
Yuna: We took pictures for fun. We didn't want those pictures to be just another ordinary ones. We wanted them to be more fun.

Q: Don't you want to take a break and go on a trip?
Yuna: Yes, I do. But I have had so many things to do one way or another that I rarely had a chance. I want to enjoy a leisurely trip down a place without that much crowd.

Q: (Do you have) any words for your fans?
Yuna: I'm so very much happy to close the Olympic season with good outcomes. I thank you for having rooted for me all the while and I'll try to show you all my best. Thank you.

aurora100

Final Flight
Yes, YuNa will have the potential to do more. I am glad your ignorance regarding YuNa's character and her history of philanthropy has been corrected. I hope your ignorance regarding her, and other things, will continue to lessen; please continue to visit and read this thread. :)

ouch..

cooper

Medalist
Kim Yuna dances to Run Devil Run and Abracadabra at Festa On Ice

by heartfacee on April 17, 2010 @ 1:06 AM (EDT)

Figure skating queen Kim Yuna performed in front of 10,000 people at the 2010 Festa On Ice.

At the Seoul Songpagu Olympic Park Stadium, the event was held on the 16th. Kim Yuna said, “I got to perform many things this show. This is the first performance (after her gold medal at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics) in Korea. I was happy to be with other skaters.” In total, there were 14 skaters present.

Instead of swaying and sliding to classical music, she went for some fun K-pop songs this time. In one of the performances, she danced to Brown Eyed Girls’ Abracadabra. She also danced to SNSD’s Run Devil Run. She really keeps up with the hottest music, doesn’t she?

The whole theme of the performances was Mission Impossible. She gave it her all and put the most enthusiasm any skater could. She stated that she’s excited for the two more days of performances left.

Her coach promised to perform if she got the gold medal and since she did, he came on to the ice and did a little something as well.

Sounds like a fun time, right?

http://www.allkpop.com/2010/04/kim-...dabra-at-festa-on-ice/comment-page-1#comments

cooper

Medalist
Ohhh I found this on Yuna's forum............there's peace after all! :laugh:

Yu-na Voted Most Favored Korean Celebrity in Japan

South Korea's figure-staking queen Kim Yu-na was voted the number one Korean celebrity in Japan in terms of their "feeling intimate" while her Japanese archrival Asada Mao topped the survey among South Koreans for the same category, a joint poll by South Korea's Hankook Ilbo and Japan's Yomiuri newspaper revealed Saturday.

Kim topped the poll as 50 percent of Japanese respondents picked her, followed by Lee Seung-yeop (21 percent), a baseball player, currently playing for the Yomiuri Giants in Japan, tailed by Bae Yong-joon (18 percent), an actor.

In Korea, people voted Asada Mao (43 percent), followed by figure skater Ando Miki (18 percent), who has a tie with Suzuki Ichiro, a major league player.

The Internet-based JPNews, which carried the news, didn't specify how many people in the two countries participated in the poll.

In the poll, respondents were allowed to choose multiple favorites ― up to three, and celebrities are from those in entertainment and sports.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/natio.../113_64356.html

Basics

On the Ice
Ohhh I found this on Yuna's forum............there's peace after all! :laugh:

Yu-na Voted Most Favored Korean Celebrity in Japan

South Korea's figure-staking queen Kim Yu-na was voted the number one Korean celebrity in Japan in terms of their "feeling intimate" while her Japanese archrival Asada Mao topped the survey among South Koreans for the same category, a joint poll by South Korea's Hankook Ilbo and Japan's Yomiuri newspaper revealed Saturday.

Kim topped the poll as 50 percent of Japanese respondents picked her, followed by Lee Seung-yeop (21 percent), a baseball player, currently playing for the Yomiuri Giants in Japan, tailed by Bae Yong-joon (18 percent), an actor.

In Korea, people voted Asada Mao (43 percent), followed by figure skater Ando Miki (18 percent), who has a tie with Suzuki Ichiro, a major league player.

The Internet-based JPNews, which carried the news, didn't specify how many people in the two countries participated in the poll.

In the poll, respondents were allowed to choose multiple favorites ― up to three, and celebrities are from those in entertainment and sports.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/natio.../113_64356.html

I think it's more of "feeling intimate of their names".

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
At the press conf after the show, Yu-Na said she will resume her training in Toronto after late May no matter what decision she will make.

cooper

Medalist
At the press conf after the show, Yu-Na said she will resume her training in Toronto after late May no matter what decision she will make.

Yeah..she's gonna go back to Toronto late May for new programs but we don't know if it's for the competition next season or for shows.

Ohhhh Yuna please don't retire! :cry:

Last edited:

parma

On the Ice
It 's just me speaking, but after all the dust settles, I think Yuna will be etching for competition because she is naturally very competitive. She wants to show the world who is the best on the ice.

cooper

Medalist
From Yuna's forum/Common: Awwww Yuna.. what else I can say...:agree:

I like the way we put photos as a hot link so that we can see them all at once without clicking all the photos.
After all, we are going to click all the photos, aren't we?

Anyway I'm back from the show...
I don't know from where to start, What can I tell you with my short English. It won't be able to convey 1/10 of what really happened there and the bonding among the fans and the skaters.

Having not enough time, forgive me for not telling about the other skaters.
Okay, to make it short, Chan didn't disappoint me as always and I always think he's artistic. But I hope those who don't feel him that way will also agree on that having great skating skills can make the audience feel purely amused.
Joubert was the best of all with his Sandstorm. Even old non-FS fans clapped so hard when he and Kulik was skating.(you know, in Korea, old people are not usually FS fans but mostly the young people enjoy figure skating.) I hope he come to the show next time as a default option.
Verner was also very enjoyable. He made the audience laugh with his cheerful performance.
Other skaters, as they have come to Yuna show before, so I won't talk much. Kulik and Bourne literally rocked the house back to back. What more can I say. Videos don't reflect the audience's roaring sound not even 1/10.

Korpi, though got a big applause from the audience, got much more applause after her skating. I liked both of her programs. So did Z/Z and D/S.
MJ's graceful program reminded me of Yuna's reflection. I was really surprised to see her improvement in one year. She had the speed, much more power than before, and most of all she was very enjoyable to watch. (I didn't have to consciously clap.) Good for her.

I can't think of many things right now. Actually I just came here to share some little thing about what happened a few years ago.

Well, to tell the result first, I felt she will be loved for a long long time. I was going to meet my friends but since they were all in the exit of the arena where a bus was waiting for the skaters after the show, so I happened to see her off at the exit. There were lots of funny moments with the other skaters, but when Yuna appeared and got on the bus, they who have been waiting for her went crazy but their behavior was not like that of a typical idol fan girls.
Of course they were screaming Yuna all the way until the bus left, but they sang a song for her, which was not a fanatical and blind one, but a very witty and could feel their love or bonding, or I don't know how to describe this feeling, but it was not a blind faith, (I can't just like blind faith in their idol kinda thing.) it was more like witty and refined, could feel the bonding and show their feeling toward the skater. I was just so impressed.

They sang the witty song for her 3 times or so, and everyone was clapping and laughing during waiting for the departure. Even the middle aged residents there who came out for a walk joined the group and said the fans behavior make them put smiles on their faces.

Yuna opened the small window and waved hands to them and shot finger guns to them, which she had to reload several times on their request.
What I felt there was that her attitude. Though the other skaters got cheered by the fans a lot, she was getting all the attention since she appeared, while all the other skaters were in the same bus. So after a while of having some enjoyable time with her fans, she let Patrick wave to the fans through the small window open in her seat. And then Joubert, (I can't remember well, and several skaters waved to fans through the small window in Yuna's seat), so that her fellow skaters could also get cheered once again.
And after that when I got back home, I heard Yuna donated USD 45,000 of the profits from the show through her agency for the victims of the broken warship of Korea..

Well, just wanted to share this with you friends. She deserves to be love for a long time. That was what I felt tonight. Good night.

parma

On the Ice
Yuna just donated the entire pay from her appearance in Festa on Ice 2010, Korean government's public health agency responsible for running a campaign for improving welfare of the physically challanged people in Korea said today.

Basics

On the Ice
Yuna just donated the entire pay from her appearance in Festa on Ice 2010, Korean government's public health agency responsible for running a campaign for improving welfare of the physically challanged people in Korea said today.

I thought it was from the pay of her appearance in some Korean radio programme. As far as I know, she donated the Festa on Ice guarantee for the victims of the recent S.Korean warship accident.

Either way, Queen Yuna rocks.:laugh: :agree: I hope she saves some for herself.:biggrin:

Last edited:

parma

On the Ice
You are right. She donated her radio campaign appearance pay. Anyway, she is awesome. :)

Last edited: