Yuna Kim | Page 37 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Lilith11

On the Ice
Today, Kim Yuna, Kim Mun-soo the governer of Kyunggi province, and Yeo In-Kook the mayer of Gwa-cheon city signed the agreement of the support cultivating talented young Korean figure skaters.

Accordingly, the province and Yuna is going to have enough consultation with each other, and will support domestic promising figure skater by awarding scholarships and supporting the use of the facilities related to figure skating.

Yuna also had one-point lesson session with Korean young figure skaters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuavTWG1bcA

Credit: Common@YKF

Yunasashafan, I agree with you. Yu-na's basic skating skills are some of the best; the thing here is body lines and extensions. I'm okay with her carriage and posture; it just looks very... natural. Like some skaters have excellent posture, but they just look stiff to me. Yu-na could definitely point her toes most to create that full, smooth line and extend the leg more during laybacks. Artistry's something I believe will come with more maturity; but Yu-na is right now is an actress (albiet a very expressive and sublime one!). What she needs to realize is that she needs to just let herself fall completely into the music and let it flow through her; she the conductor and the music, an instrument, a part of her.

Last edited:

jian10

Rinkside

I still don't see what kind of multiple fatal mistakes IB has made.
I've read the above articles. There was a talk about whether Yu Na was going to be pro after the Olympic. The articles say that it was inapproporiate to discuss that matter just before the Olympic. But it looked like IB was just responding to some other people's comments, not like starting a discussion. Also the last article talks about IB's negligence on handling of anti-Yu Na videos at YouTube. Yes, that I can agree. I've been waiting and wondering if anyone was going to do anything about them. Did they, IB, do anything at all?

jian10

Rinkside
You don't necessarily have to be great at something yourself in order to teach it to somebody else...and vice versa. I've seen RL examples of this...

I think the best example is the coach of the Chinese pair teams. Can't remember his name. :(

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the best example is the coach of the Chinese pair teams. Can't remember his name. :(

You're talking about Yao Bin. The man that went from being dead last at the 1984 olympics to coaching the 2002 bronze, 2006 bronze and silver and 2010 silver and gold Olympic medalists! :)

Bennett

Record Breaker
That would be appreciated! Do it at your convenience. As I said earlier I can only say three things in Korean and I can't read at all.

I second that! When I visited Korea with trilingual friends who helped me get around, those several small words coupled with smiles and bows helped me a lot in getting along with ppl. I wanted to be really polite to older adults whom I met there, especially because they somehow always knew that I must be a Japanese.

There are several multi-lingual Korean news sites that we can watch:
http://english.chosun.com/
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/

Yuna company has just started so that we will hear more real stories perhaps later on.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I second that! When I visited Korea with trilingual friends who helped me get around, those several small words coupled with smiles and bows helped me a lot in getting along with ppl. I wanted to be really polite to older adults whom I met there, especially because they somehow always knew that I must be a Japanese.

There are several multi-lingual Korean news sites that we can watch:
http://english.chosun.com/
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/

Yuna company has just started so that we will hear more real stories perhaps later on.

Thanks for the links.
But yes I agree, saying simple words like thank you and hello and bowing does make a big difference. Also, I find that they enjoy when you know something about the country.

I remember when I was on my young professionals exchange with the Rotary Club two years ago, I was talking to my hosts and said, "Yuna Kim, she's quite the skater!" and the hosts beamed and said "Yes, she is very popular!"

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Artistry's something I believe will come with more maturity; but Yu-na is right now is an actress (albiet a very expressive and sublime one!). What she needs to realize is that she needs to just let herself fall completely into the music and let it flow through her; she the conductor and the music, an instrument, a part of her.

Very well said, I couldn't agree with you more :thumbsup:. I could see some of that in her Tango do Roxanne (the Worlds 07 version) and I think Meditation was a step in that direction.

Basics

On the Ice

princess9

On the Ice
Olleh~~~ I wanna see her next to Lady Gaga. :laugh: It will be held in Lincoln center btw.

Hi, is Lady Gaga also on this list? I confess I have not seen the list, and wonder at the inclusions. What a strange world of celebrity we live in.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Here is what I suggest for her jump layout:

3Lz-3T (10% bonus)
3Lo
3Lz
------halfway point
3F-3T (20% bonus)
2A-2T-2Lo with spread eagle entry (20% bonus)
3S (10% bonus)
2A with ina bauer (10% bonus)

Couldn't ask for more. I'm sorry to see her gorgeous 2A-3T go, but I would kill for the 3F-3T. I also think the new 2A rule, if passed, is a blessing in disguise. Her 3Lo in practice is solid and gorgeous. She just has to shake away the jitters, now that she has nothing to lose. She has an OGM, World gold, 4CC gold and GPF gold (all the championships under her belt). Why not bring back the 3Lo? When she dropped it in 2008-2009, after the 4CC, she said she would remove it for the time being. She has been practicing it (I saw it as recently as in the Today Show clip) and it looked as good as ever then. People always complain that she's technically "complacent" -- playing it safe (yes, a 3Lz-3T is just so, so easy:rolleye:), so I guess this would be a good way to prove them wrong.

On a sidenote, what would happen if Yu-na continued, but skipped the Grand Prix circuit, like MK?

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Yu-Na arrived in New York! No media stalking at the airport. The party is at 7.00 pm. She may meet the Clintons and President Obama and other big celebrities! What a day :love: