Yuna Kim | Page 45 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

ryoko

Rinkside
Yuna's magnetism and appeal transcends ethnic / national boundaries. Some of the most passionate fans of Yuna I know are non-Koreans.

Please stop making such ignorant comments even as a joke. What if I were to say that anybody who thinks highly of Kwan / Cohen are just all Americans?

YunaBliss, I've been reading some of your posts lately and you really need to relax. Yuna is not God. What is wrong with you?
You don't have to attack other posters or other skaters to praise the skater you love. Based on all documentaries and the words said by Yuna we now know she is a sweet and generous person.
If you are a true fan shouldn't you try to be at least somewhat like her?

princess9

On the Ice
This is in Korean, but according to this article Sarah Jessica Parker said that Yuna's Olympic performance was beautiful and inspiring during an interview for her movie SATC 2. :)

http://news.joins.com/article/932/4222932.html?ctg=15

And she just so knowledgeable, WOWZER! LOL

Why not find an article Brownfox from an Asian perspective that is not from Korea or from Japan. Is there someone who follows the cultural trends who writes with much objectivity about what it's like to be Kim in her country? Yes, she's pretty, skates well, carries a tune and is first figureskater from Korea to do well. Can you find and translate a good article from highly respected asian (ok any asian from anywhere who understands Korean cultural, figureskating and has a handle on what has made her the number 1 citizen).

I ask this as I have not travelled in Asia but I suspect there are far better articles written by cultural historians to explain this huge burst called Yu-Na. Maybe a a Korean American who is bi cultural/bilingual could give us an article with some depth and analysis. I was reading that Japnese audiences are quieter than Koreans. I don't know where you post from but seeing that you are bilingual, I'd be interested in any articles that explore this phenomenon. Does every big sports star in Korea get this kind of adulation near hysteria at times?

I guess this is hard as I'm asking the impossible. An idea of what is unique about South Koreans that Kim is a rock star on skates. Again, any articles about her huge popularity in the context of the culture interests me. I wish I could go but it's not likely. I have read and know the basics about S. Korea but if you have not been nor speak the language, one can only have a limited view.

I wonder how the North views her or do they even get to see TV Olympics?

Sarah Parker could comment on being in a TV show, hair, makeup, movies and adoption. I doubt anyone cares her opinions on any skater positive or negative. Nice lady but I think fashion chat might be her expertise.:)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Why not find an article Brownfox from an Asian perspective that is not from Korea or from Japan. Is there someone who follows the cultural trends who writes with much objectivity about what it's like to be Kim in her country? Yes, she's pretty, skates well, carries a tune and is first figureskater from Korea to do well. Can you find and translate a good article from highly respected asian (ok any asian from anywhere who understands Korean cultural, figureskating and has a handle on what has made her the number 1 citizen).

I ask this as I have not travelled in Asia but I suspect there are far better articles written by cultural historians to explain this huge burst called Yu-Na. Maybe a a Korean American who is bi cultural/bilingual could give us an article with some depth and analysis. I was reading that Japnese audiences are quieter than Koreans. I don't know where you post from but seeing that you are bilingual, I'd be interested in any articles that explore this phenomenon. Does every big sports star in Korea get this kind of adulation near hysteria at times?

I guess this is hard as I'm asking the impossible. An idea of what is unique about South Koreans that Kim is a rock star on skates. Again, any articles about her huge popularity in the context of the culture interests me. I wish I could go but it's not likely. I have read and know the basics about S. Korea but if you have not been nor speak the language, one can only have a limited view.

Sarah Parker could comment on being in a TV show, hair, makeup, movies and adoption. I doubt anyone cares her opinions on any skater positive or negative. Nice lady but I think fashion chat might be her expertise.:)

It's been a while since I've posted here.

While I see what you're getting at princess, I don't think there isn't any harm in posting that SJP thinks that Yuna had a nice Olympic performance. I'm sure most on here understand that SJP isn't a skating expert.

Personally, I appreciate the cross-pop culture reference. It's kind of cool to see that Yuna is getting props from American celebrities.

But to fulfill your request-- I point to a really great Discovery Channel Asia documentary (which has been posted here before) for you to watch. This YouTube user has it in 6 parts. http://www.youtube.com/user/ioconion5 (Look for the "Hip Korea" parts). It talks a lot about how Yuna represents this new movement where women lead the success of the country.

If you want more quickies -- here's a couple of pieces done during the Olympics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbZRk4yQ62I <---- NBC Nightly News
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfPySGdV6XQ&feature=related <--- NBC Today

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I must ask, princess9,

How is posting an article about Sarah Jessica Parker, a "fashion expert" as you noted, commenting that she found Yuna's Olympics performance "beautiful and inspiring",

ANY DIFFERENT than posting of a video of Emily Frankel, a "dance expert", commenting that she found Mao's Olympics performance more "artistic" and that Mao "should have won"?

I don't see any difference between the two.

Regarding your second inquiry, there are tons of articles, thesis, essays, even dissertations, both in Korea and Japan, talking about "Yuna-syndrome" and its cultural significance and implications. I even remember a notable Japanese scholar using Yuna as an example to explain the downfall of Japan as economic superpower.

If you are interested, as a starting point, I would highly recommend you to watch the Discovery Channel's documentary on Yuna, which was produced in English early this year before Yuna won OGM. It should be available on youtube somewhere. It will give you an idea of what kind of cultural impact Yuna symbolizes, and I should also note that Phillip Hersh wrote an article about this documentary, suggesting that it should be broadcast in the U.S.

brownfox

On the Ice

Um, wait a minute..what's the big deal about Sarah Jessica Parker's comments about Yuna? I think we should even be thankful at least a Hollywood actress had a time to watch a figure skating event like the Olympics. People always wondering why this sport's popularity is dying...LOL!

brownfox

On the Ice
I must ask, princess9,

How is posting an article about Sarah Jessica Parker, a "fashion expert" as you noted, commenting that she found Yuna's Olympics performance "beautiful and inspiring",

ANY DIFFERENT than posting of a video of Emily Frankel, a "dance expert", commenting that she found Mao's Olympics performance more "artistic" and that Mao "should have won"?

I don't see any difference between the two.

Exactly! Ohhh the hypocrisy around here..LOL.

sunny0760

On the Ice
If SJP or anyone else said, "Mao/Mirai/Joannie or anyone else's performance was beautiful and inspiring," I would think it's absolutely OK. However, what Ms. Frankel said was excessive, provocative, at least very controversial because of the remark, "Mao should have won." If it had not been of the 'who should'be won,' her comments could have been considered as some kind of favortism or a casual opinion as a fan/dancer, which I don't mind. If she had seriously meant to question the result of olys, she should have provided much more persuasive, logical reasons, which she miserably failed. Anyway her comments provoked a lot of interesting discussion so I do not take her too seriously.

'(YunaBliss says) tons of articles, thesis, essays, even dissertations' Well, to analyse some phenomena in academic way is not easy. No, a few visits to the said contry(s) won't completely resolve your questions, princess9, even if I hope you will have a chance to come to Korea someday.

Yes, Hersh's article : http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/oly...-more-than-just-olympic-skating-champion.html

I find this article relatively objective about Korean parents' dedication on their children's(including Yuna kids) education : http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2918841

Still, the country and the Skaking Association are not powerhouse in the FS world and there are not enough facilities/good coaches. My skeptical side wonders how long this FS fever in Korea will go on. (skating moms/golf daddies take a lot of time and most of all, money) It will depend on Yuna's further development and Korean younger skaters' achiements in the future. I don't even need to say where my hope is.:)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Still, the country and the Skaking Association are not powerhouse in the FS world and there are not enough facilities/good coaches. My skeptical side wonders how long this FS fever in Korea will go on. (skating moms/golf daddies take a lot of time and most of all, money) It will depend on Yuna's further development and Korean younger skaters' achiements in the future. I don't even need to say where my hope is.:)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but figure skating wasn't terribly popular in Japan before Midori Ito. So I'd assume that Yuna in Korea would be similar to Midori in Japan. Of course it would take a long time, but look at Japan now. More than a decade later (almost two decades, actually), Japan is a huge force in the singles' skating world. S. Korea definitely has that potential as well for it is known for its hardworking citizens.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Correct me if I'm wrong, but figure skating wasn't terribly popular in Japan before Midori Ito. So I'd assume that Yuna in Korea would be similar to Midori in Japan. Of course it would take a long time, but look at Japan now. More than a decade later (almost two decades, actually), Japan is a huge force in the singles' skating world. S. Korea definitely has that potential as well for it is known for its hardworking citizens.

Indeed. I remember watching Yu-na's documentary and one of her old teammates (when she was on the Korean Nationals team at age 12 :3) said that it was unheard of at that time to have a 12-year old doing triple jumps. And now there's Haejin Kim and I suspect, some other junior skaters who have thr triple jumps. Just think about the golfing fever :3

princess9

On the Ice
Oh, c'mon guys, lol, beginning to think Brownfox and Bliss are paid PR people from the new agency.JOKING!!!! I was interested enough to venture into this uber thread. Now don't scare me away...

The difference between Frankel and Parker. I'll be kind as I am not a fan of said "actress." You guys are not even seeing (love is blind, yes?) that Emily is a dance expert and there is a lot of dancing in FS. And it is an artform. Also to be fair, ( i mostly ignored that thread for good reason) she, Frankel watched a lot of videos of both skaters.

Be careful, using words like hypocrisy or name calling gets bad attention. I don't see why you would get upset:mad: if anyone preferred Asada. One is a senior dance expert who has watched FS for years. The other is a fluff actress who made a simple statement. Frankel put some work and a dancer's perspective behind her opinion. You guys should not trash her because she has a different opinion. Seriously, that would be like people who trash Yu-Na because she is from country A not country B.

I don't think Queen Kim herself gets upset about anyone's opinion. I personally am pretty sure (not being a CoP expert,) the right lady won. You will have lots of great skaters coming to Korea as long as she does shows lucky you.

Now to the serious part, can she raise an army, like Joan of Arc to vanquish the North? The news gets scary these days...:eek:( Joan of Arc, you may know is a Catholic saint. I am Catholic and have read the Catholic community is very proud of Kim. I see she is a religious girl. Good for her.) I know a lady who does retreats in S. Korea to big crowds from my city. She loves to go there. She is a famous "healer." I used to follow reports off topic here, of a Julia Kim who is or was an alledged catholic visionary from Naju, Korea. I am guessing Kim is a very popular surname.

I think you are lucky to live in a country where all the top skaters are flocking to. Enjoy the shows if you get to go. Peace.

Reading is not experiencing this big huge love affair. I will have to content myself with the video links posted.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Frankel? I've never heard of her. BTW, Asada should have won, of course! wouldn't it have been nicer that poor girl smile like a doll in Oly? What's wrong with saying that? :unsure: Rachael should have won too, and Ashley and Kimmie. :bang: