Yuna Kim | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Re: Yu-Na news

David Wilson seems to be determined to use Yuna's theatrical abilities as a vehicle to deliver unusual, very modern and interesting programs, in his attempts to bring back interests of younger and more general audience. That is a great approach and hope he succeeds in it.

I completely agree, Parma. In fact, this is the stage Kim should be in. She's already won the entire candy store. Everyone's worried that even a silver will "tarnish her record," but if she takes on new kinds of skating and new kinds of music rather than playing it safe, this later part of her career can only be seen as a success--even if someone else wins a gold. It's kind of as if she is becoming a pro while still remaining in competitive skating.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice

A Yuna montage by FEVERS using the song Bulletproof - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHGQBJe31Aw. Check it out!

I am beginning to like this song more and more - and I think it suits Yuna perfectly. David is a genius!

yea, I didn't know the song and La Roux before but thanks to David and Yu-Na I discovered them! I'm so excited and happy for the new program. When the video is online after the show I'll inform La Roux's singer through her website, I'm sure she will be delighted to watch Yu-Na's interpretion!

csunny7

Rinkside

Credit from yon/spiccoli YNK forum

A Golden Moment for Yu-Na Kim

from International figure skating magazine

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1982

Thank you for the post!
It's so nice to see Yuna happy at cricket club with all the love, respect, admiration from those who around her. She looks so lovely & beautiful and those kids looking at the cake are so cute :laugh: As they say, Yuna is a great inspiration & role model. Yuna Kim-- What a blessing to cricket club! :thumbsup:

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker

I don't know where to put this, but I recently reread an article by Harold Schonberg, a noted music critic, about the rivalry between tenors Luciano Pavarotti and Placido Domingo. In their early years, they both vied for supremacy in the operatic world. Both were giants on the landscape: Pavarotti with his ravishing vocal quality and Domingo with his supreme musicianship and strength. In a way, YuNa and Mao are like Domingo and Pavarotti. Each would be a titan in her field whether or not the other were there to provide rivalry. Though it doesn't do to take the comparison down into too much detail, you could cast YuNa as the "dramatic tenor," with the speed, power, and technique of her jumps, with Mao as the "lyric tenor" trying more dramatic repertoire, with her triple axel the equivalent of Luciano's early high C's.

There's no Olympics in opera, so you can't really quantify who's got more medals for his/her talent. Many people prefer one or the other, but most people would agree that both stars, Placido and Luciano, are performers for the ages. I think that will turn out to be true for YuNa and Mao, however many Olympic and/or World gold medals either one wins in total.

Anyway, this is just a comparison that came to me, and this is the closest active thread devoted to either of the two ladies, so I put it here.

I have often compared Yu-Na and Mao to Michelle and Irina. Yu-na Kim to Michelle Kwan because of her artistry and Mao Asada to Irina Slutskaya because of her technical abilities

zephyrskates

On the Ice

I have often compared Yu-Na and Mao to Michelle and Irina. Yu-na Kim to Michelle Kwan because of her artistry and Mao Asada to Irina Slutskaya because of her technical abilities

I don't think I'm in the minority here if say that Mao has far more artistic capabilities than Irina. Kim and Mao are on par with each other in terms of technical abilities and artistry, while Michelle was light years ahead of Slutskaya in artistry while Slutskaya had a slight edge in technical ability.

parma

On the Ice

Yuna flew in Korea just an hour or so ago. In her interview at Incheon airport today, she said she will skip the Grand Prix series and will focus on the World Championship next spring.

She arrived at 4:00 in the morning but was still surrounded by reporters the same.

http://app.yonhapnews.co.kr/YNA/Bas...toPopup.aspx?contents_id=PYH20100719002900013

http://app.yonhapnews.co.kr/YNA/Bas...toPopup.aspx?contents_id=PYH20100719002700013

http://app.yonhapnews.co.kr/YNA/Bas...toPopup.aspx?contents_id=PYH20100719002800013

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker

Yuna flew in Korea just an hour or so ago. In her interview at Incheon airport today, she said she will skip the Grand Prix series and will focus on the World Championship next spring.

Predictable move for someone choosing to stick around. She could just pull a Kwan each season for the next quad.

ETA: No diss intended towards either party, because I know some will choose to see it that way, as usual

Last edited:

parma

On the Ice

Good decision. Yuna and her team can take a step aside from all the confusion the new changes in COP will bring at the early part of the season and learn what they should do to make the best out of it.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

I will miss Yuna this fall, but if her spots are given to young deserving skaters like Cheltzie Lee, Min-Jung Kwak, or Amanda Dobbs, then I think the GP should still be exciting. I really hope to see Yuna at Worlds though!

dlgpffps

Final Flight

Predictable move for someone choosing to stick around. She could just pull a Kwan each season for the next quad.

ETA: No diss intended towards either party, because I know some will choose to see it that way, as usual

"Pulling a Kwan" sounds wonderful. If Yu-na can stay on top of her game for the next Olympic cycle and show us clean programs on a consistent basis (like Kwan & make it to Sochi healthy and prepared), I would have no other wish in the world. This way, she can focus on quality & details and keep an eye on how the new rules change figure dynamics, so she can prepare accordingly. In her interview, she said she will focus on Worlds (which proves strangely evasive), but I hope this means she will also enter 4CC. I can't have enough of her. She usually announces her new season program music around this time (her August ice show). Can't wait.

I'm just worried that "pulling a Kwan" might also entail Speedy getting involved.

brownfox

On the Ice

Not a surprise that she will be skipping the GP series...

I can't wait to see her new programs though. The World Championship will be held in Japan, I expect her to show up.

Spanish music for her Lp and Sp?? Sounds great!

prettykeys

Medalist

She arrived at 4:00 in the morning but was still surrounded by reporters the same.
I'm very happy to hear this decision; as you said later in another post, she will have more time to adjust to and analyze how the new judging rules will play out; she will have more training time in the fall; there will be less chances for injuries; and the World title is as prestigious (if not more so) than the Grand Prix title at 1/3 the "effort" (to win the GPF you need to attend and do well at 3 events rather than just 1). Yes, it does kinda suck that it will also mean less opportunities to watch YuNa, but her health and happiness come before my being entertained. I hope that she will attend at least one other skating event in the season, though--4CC or the Korean Nationals, even. The Grand Prix will be exciting either way, but YuNa is always my biggest highlight :)

Yu-na wants to skate to Latin, Spanish-type music (tango? flamenco?) for her SP or LP. She said she will have to consult her coach. I guess that means that the Dream Team has not selected music yet.

http://news.nate.com/View/20100719n05519?mid=s0602
Yay!

breeze

Rinkside

I'm also very happy about her decision. Latin, Spanish-type music sounds great! Tango de Roxanne at 2007 WC was what made me her fan, and IMO was the only performance where she sort of let go of herself. Now that the pressure of pursuing OGM is off her, I hope she will show us that kind of exuberance again.

R.D.

Record Breaker

The question then becomes, does she have the motivation to continue to push herself forward and stay at the top? Or will she sorta let herself go like Sarah Hughes did in 2003? Of course we can't answer that now and must stay tuned

gold12345

Medalist

The question then becomes, does she have the motivation to continue to push herself forward and stay at the top? Or will she sorta let herself go like Sarah Hughes did in 2003? Of course we can't answer that now and must stay tuned

Yes, it will be interesting to see. If she is motivated by winning (like Michael Phelps seems to be), she will continue and try to rack up more World titles and perhaps give herself a shot at another Olympics. As long as her injury problems don't flare up (hasn't she had back problems?), I don't see why she couldn't continue to compete and bring in the endorsements. And as long as she didn't put the pressure on herself to win every year, I think she would be fine.

But most Ladies skaters who win Olympic gold (and usually World gold on top of that) just end up fading away for whatever reason, so I'm not holding my breath on this one.