Yuna Kim | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

brownfox

On the Ice
Re: Yu-Na news

Yuna News

According to the news Yuna will be heading to Toronto on July 29 to start preparing for the World Championship next year and start working with her new programs. But I think she will attend a very special event in LA on Aug 7th for the Korean/American community, she's going to receive a proud Korean award w/ dr. sammy lee, the first korean-american who won a gold medal in diving...

Last edited:

Basics

On the Ice

Incorrect, Mao planned a 3-3 combination in the SP throughout the entire 2008-2009 season (until her very last competition, the World Team Trophy). Most specifically, at the World Championships in 2009 she did a 3Flip-3Loop that received 11.1 points. I was right at the edge of the rink and she had no trouble at all doing that combination.

She may had planned it, but she didn't actually go for it most of the time.

And yes, it was the only occasion that got ratified during the whole season, and I have to say she was lucky to get away that time. If you doubt it, plz do watch the slow-mo.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

She may had planned it, but she didn't actually go for it most of the time.

And yes, it was the only occasion that got ratified during the whole season, and I have to say she was lucky to get away that time. If you doubt it, plz do watch the slow-mo.

Wrong again, she did indeed go for it most of the time. It was downgraded at the GPF and 4CC (unfairly, in the case of the former) but you're forgetting that downgrades are no longer unfairly penalized with a new scoring rule. A downgraded 3Loop scores nearly as many points as a 3Toe (if it is clean).

And, no, she wasn't "lucky to get away with it" at 2009 Worlds. It was a sufficiently rotated 3Loop. Again, I was right there at the rink when it happened (and saw super slow-mo of it).

Basics

On the Ice

Wrong again, she did indeed go for it most of the time. It was downgraded at the GPF and 4CC (unfairly, in the case of the former) but you're forgetting that downgrades are no longer unfairly penalized with a new scoring rule. A downgraded 3Loop scores nearly as many points as a 3Toe (if it is clean).

And, no, she wasn't "lucky to get away with it" at 2009 Worlds. It was a sufficiently rotated 3Loop. Again, I was right there at the rink when it happened (and saw super slow-mo of it).

Ok. here you go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asnlXZhlmTU (you can ignore the start/landing points in the clip.)

Does it look sufficient for you? Not to my eyes.

So she had actually went for it four times during the whole season where she could have practically done as many as twelve times if you include WTT. That is not "most of the time" or "consistently trying".

cosmos

On the Ice

I'm not talking about an interview this year, I'm talking about an interview maybe two years ago when they asked her what she envied of Mao's, and she mentioned Mao's triple axel. And went on to say people say I have it in practice, but I don't. If I did, I'd try it in competition.
No, she never said that. I don't know where you got this information, but it isn't true. She said she envied Mao's flexibility (not 3A).

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France

Ok. here you go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asnlXZhlmTU (you can ignore the start/landing points in the clip.)

Does it look sufficient for you? Not to my eyes.

So she had actually went for it four times during the whole season where she could have practically done as many as twelve times if you include WTT. That is not "most of the time" or "consistently trying".

The rotation was sufficient. A Triple jump is 2.25 rotations in the air. You pre-rotate 1/2 of a turn before leaving the ice and you are allowed up to 1/4 turn on the landing. Mao didn't execute that 3Loop as well as she has done in the past, but it was enough to be ratified.

Mao removed the 3-3 in the LP for the 2008-2009 season because she was focusing on trying to do multiple Triple Axels. She did consistently try it in the SP, though, yes.

bekalc

Record Breaker

What motivates those you-tubers who make all these mean-spirited videos?

It would be better if Kim fans posted videos of Yu-na skating beautifully instead.

Well I'd suggest what motivates them is certainly not a love of skating. Honestly, I'm not sure how you can be a skating fan and NOT appreciate both Kim and Asada. I can in someways sort of get why some may not completely love Kim because I know some do have a love for the perfect layback and spiral that Kim doesn't have. But even these people if they are true skating fans can appreciate Kim's other qualities speed, edges jump, musicality. Mao is so balletic and such a lovely skater, I get that you can at times not like her programs or maybe wish she was more expressive, but the hatred for this skater? sigh.

But then again I guess its because I'm a fan of skating and I was a fan before Kim and Asada were even on the rader. And being that has given me a big time appreciation for how amazing both girls truly are. We are so blessed to be able to watch both of these girls. When both retire though, I'll still be watching skating and enjoying it. I get having favorite skaters, but when you can't appreciate someone whose not your favorite. (sigh)

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist

Well I'd suggest what motivates them is certainly not a love of skating. Honestly, I'm not sure how you can be a skating fan and NOT appreciate both Kim and Asada. I can in someways sort of get why some may not completely love Kim because I know some do have a love for the perfect layback and spiral that Kim doesn't have. But even these people if they are true skating fans can appreciate Kim's other qualities speed, edges jump, musicality. Mao is so balletic and such a lovely skater, I get that you can at times not like her programs or maybe wish she was more expressive, but the hatred for this skater? sigh.

But then again I guess its because I'm a fan of skating and I was a fan before Kim and Asada were even on the rader. And being that has given me a big time appreciation for how amazing both girls truly are. We are so blessed to be able to watch both of these girls. When both retire though, I'll still be watching skating and enjoying it. I get having favorite skaters, but when you can't appreciate someone whose not your favorite. (sigh)

Nicely stated, belkac!

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
YES, EXACTLY!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

In the past 10 years, the most talented female (singles) skaters we've had are Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Yu-Na Kim, and Mao Asada.

It's retarded that people try to assert "Yu-Na is 100x better than Mao" or "Mao is 100x better than Yu-Na."

I can see why the bloodthirsty Yu-Na fans feel threatened by my breakdown of the potential technical content Mao could achieve, and I can also understand why some people find Mao to be robotic (and in all fairness she has yet to truly prove herself artistically), but my suggestion would be to stop hating. The bitterness between various countries throughout the World is so sad.

brownfox

On the Ice

This is YUNA NEWS thread...as usual we're having another mao vs. yuna debate. lol.

and because this is Yuna news thread..

Yuna and her sponsor KB made a donation to leukaemia patients today and she will have another photo shoot later.

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker

This is YUNA NEWS thread...as usual we're having another mao vs. yuna debate. lol.

I think it's time for figure skating to produce another really big female rivalry ... it's probably the only way to quell this. Either that or ban figure skating, but you and I both know that that's DEFINITELY out of the question.

My contribution for today:

S Korea's star figure skater Kim Yu-na looks beyond Olympics
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90779/90867/7079466.html
"Winning the Olympics had been the highest goal for me, so I'm not really thinking about any other goals at the moment. For now, I'd like to try performing many characters I couldn't previously play because of figure skating rules," Kim said. "I've achieved a lot of things in my life, but I'm still young."

cosmos

On the Ice

YES, EXACTLY!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

In the past 10 years, the most talented female (singles) skaters we've had are Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Yu-Na Kim, and Mao Asada.

It's retarded that people try to assert "Yu-Na is 100x better than Mao" or "Mao is 100x better than Yu-Na."

I can see why the bloodthirsty Yu-Na fans feel threatened by my breakdown of the potential technical content Mao could achieve, and I can also understand why some people find Mao to be robotic (and in all fairness she has yet to truly prove herself artistically), but my suggestion would be to stop hating. The bitterness between various countries throughout the World is so sad.
You may be contributing to the hating and bitterness.

parma

On the Ice

Every skater has strength and weakness and Kim is not an exception, and neither is Asada for sure. One can waste a whole freaking day nitpicking on a skater, no matter how perfect the skater's 3-3 or her spiral is or nor perfect. So what. what matters is that this is a tread for Yuna. There are some duchbacks who insist Mao stuff here, and as I will say again, Yuna fans here don't give a crap about what Asada can or cannot do; total indifference. Take the media driven so called "rivalry" illusion to some place else because there is no such thing that exists in the real world. Let me say this again. TAKE THAT ASADA CRAP SOMEPLACE ELSE. THIS IS YUNA NEWS THREAD.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist

Every skater has strength and weakness and Kim is not an exception, and neither is Asada for sure. One can waste a whole freaking day nitpicking on a skater, no matter how perfect the skater's 3-3 or her spiral is or nor perfect. So what. what matters is that this is a tread for Yuna. There are some duchbacks who insist Mao stuff here, and as I will say again, Yuna fans here don't give a crap about what Asada can or cannot do; total indifference. Take the media driven so called "rivalry" illusion to some place else because there is no such thing that exists in the real world. Let me say this again. TAKE THAT ASADA CRAP SOMEPLACE ELSE. THIS IS YUNA NEWS THREAD.

Gee, maybe you should take a chill pill?

Canastatango

Rinkside

So you are telling me that we can only talk about Yuna and not anyone else related to her, Brian Orser, Kwak, etc. Or you are telling me that I can only talk about people who only brings up praise and compliments of Yuna. I am new in this forum and I am very overwhelmed by all these passionate and sometimes annoying Yuna fans. I just can not imagine what you guys are going to do if this thread hits 100,000 views. You are going to shoot up big fire work at " Yuna-news thread hitting 100,000viwers" party somewhere?

R.D.

Record Breaker

So you are telling me that we can only talk about Yuna and not anyone else related to her, Brian Orser, Kwak, etc. Or you are telling me that I can only talk about people who only brings up praise and compliments of Yuna. I am new in this forum and I am very overwhelmed by all these passionate and sometimes annoying Yuna fans. I just can not imagine what you guys are going to do if this thread hits 100,000 views. You are going to shoot up big fire work at " Yuna-news thread hitting 100,000viwers" party somewhere?

You're not alone, I can tell you that much.