Yuna Kim | Page 65 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

sunny0760

On the Ice
Love this pic!
http://dcimg1.dcinside.com/viewimag...8b5301731084303b3a15f999cd0&f_no=79e99e2cf5d5

I don't think she is a classical/conventional beauty.(I have not heard other Koreans say she is.)
There are many many real beauties in the world but Yuna is unique.

I am seeing this shy, a little awkward girl 4 yrs ago.
http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?i...rch_pos=-989373&k_type=0100&keyword=2006&bbs=

She certainly is prettier now but this girl is so lovely.
What is outstanding about her looks is... that she has gotten more beautiful with age. And various facial expressions when performing like actresses, and most of all, so small face and fair skin, and the exquisite body proportion which even the prettiest girls would like to have.

breeze

Rinkside
Sunny, I love the picture! I think she looks more beautiful in the training suit than in the dress she wore at the press conference in LA. And it's surprising how much she has changed/grew up in 4 years. What is she saying in the video? My speaker's not working now!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I've always thought Yuna was very pretty, even when she was a gangly teenager with braces. You could just tell from the start that she was a very pretty girl. I mean, her mom is also beautiful, so it's no surprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYr-KS-5Cyc&feature=fvst

15 year old Yuna, she may not be the hot knockout she is now, but she's undeniably pretty in a girlish way. The claims that she had plastic surgery are just bogus, this girl has been pretty her whole life.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I've always thought Yuna was very pretty, even when she was a gangly teenager with braces. You could just tell from the start that she was a very pretty girl. 15 year old Yuna, she may not be the hot knockout she is now, but she's undeniably pretty in a girlish way. .

I like this clip of Yuna but not sure how old she is here..........maybe 14?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMp-UogEIXM

She is very pretty and maybe a little gangly - but also has such a vulnerable and innocent look about her. :)
The overal effect makes her look adorable to me.

Not the real music - but one of my favorite Beatles songs in a nice arrangement dubbed in by a fan.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I like this clip of Yuna but not sure how old she is here..........maybe 14?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMp-UogEIXM

She is very pretty and maybe a little gangly - but also has such a vulnerable and innocent look about her. :)
The overal effect makes her look adorable to me.

Not the real music - but one of my favorite Beatles songs in a nice arrangement dubbed in by a fan.

She looks so much like what Christina Gao looked like last season! Especially in the blue dress! Wow

brownfox

On the Ice
Update on Yuna

From Aunt Joyce blog

link http://auntjoycesicecreamstand.blogspot.com/2010/09/this-and-that_11.html

Yu-Na Kim started training at the East-West Ice Palace. Evan was skating there during the same session as Yu-Na on her first day, which caused the young skaters to stop in their tracks and watch in awe. It was not a very productive day for most skaters at the rink.

And from a korean fan report

There is a notice on the door preventing camera or camcorder recording (not just for Yuna but for all skaters).
- It was in the morning session when the rink was less crowded.
- Yuna's face looked bright and her womanly body was very noticeable.
- It was the first day of Yuna's training there (so, I guess, Wednesday?) and Yuna's mom and Kwan's mom were there together.
- She (the reporter) talked to Kwan's dad and he complimented Yuna's skating.
- Her kid held back far away from Yuna for fear of distracting Yuna.
- Later they caught up with Yuna at the parking lot to get her autograph.

Thanks

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'm sure this has been discussed at length but I seem to have missed it: What does everyone think of Yuna's decision to skip the Grand Prix? Given that she has no national championship, is it very risky for her first international competition to be worlds? Or can she get a way with that since she's the Olympic Gold medalist?

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I'm sure this has been discussed at length but I seem to have missed it: What does everyone think of Yuna's decision to skip the Grand Prix? Given that she has no national championship, is it very risky for her first international competition to be worlds? Or can she get a way with that since she's the Olympic Gold medalist?

I mean, she broke world records at 2009 TEB (which was her first event of the season), so I don't feel like she absolutely needs prior competitions, unless she's going for something radically new (which she doesn't seem to anyways).

janetfan

Match Penalty

If Yuna actually does compete this season (Aunt Joyce suspects her competitive career is over) cound't she use 4CC as a warmup to Worlds if she felt it was necessary?

Just a thought..............another thought is that if Skate LA is successful (= makes good money) Yuna may take the show to other N. American cities and Europe. Touring might not leave time for the type of training Yuna needs to medal at Worlds.....

The thing about YuNa is that she could contribute just about as much to skating if she does decide to end her competitive career and turn pro. For one thing, she will still be setting precedents in Korea. For another, a skater with her prestige might be just the shot in the arm that pro skating needs right now. Her high profile might bring new viewers to televised pro programs, and even to a touring show. So if that's what she feels she wants to do, I would be just as pleased as I'd be if she remains competitive.

After all the pressure she's been under for the past four years, I certainly wouldn't blame her if she didn't want to step back on that competitive treadmill.

Layfan

Record Breaker
If Yuna actually does compete this season (Aunt Joyce suspects her competitive career is over) cound't she use 4CC as a warmup to Worlds if she felt it was necessary?

Just a thought..............another thought is that if Skate LA is successful (= makes good money) Yuna may take the show to other N. American cities and Europe. Touring might not leave time for the type of training Yuna needs to medal at Worlds.....

Oh yeah. I hadn't thought of that. She could.... It sounds for now like her intention is to keep competing. I'm worried about her this season. It sounds like she's having a hard time deciding what's right for her and this whole thing with Orser ... I really don't want to see Yuna fall apart. I hope she does whatever is in her heart.

The thing about YuNa is that she could contribute just about as much to skating if she does decide to end her competitive career and turn pro. For one thing, she will still be setting precedents in Korea. For another, a skater with her prestige might be just the shot in the arm that pro skating needs right now. Her high profile might bring new viewers to televised pro programs, and even to a touring show. So if that's what she feels she wants to do, I would be just as pleased as I'd be if she remains competitive.

After all the pressure she's been under for the past four years, I certainly wouldn't blame her if she didn't want to step back on that competitive treadmill.

From what I saw of All That Skate, I think the same thing. The show looked cool. It really seemed like the breath of fresh air that pro-skating needs. And I have to say, Yuna, or whoever made the decisions, have great taste in skaters. :thumbsup:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I mean, she broke world records at 2009 TEB (which was her first event of the season), so I don't feel like she absolutely needs prior competitions, unless she's going for something radically new (which she doesn't seem to anyways).

But that was with normal training. Just because she could do it last season, doesn't mean she can necessarily pull off a repeat in the next season without adequate training + major changes in her life.

Of course, you can argue that Michelle Kwan chose to skip the GP events after 03 and did fine, but she wasn't touring (was she?) and she did attend Nationals prior to Worlds.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice

You must be a real YunaFan...
You said exactly what I wanted to say. Thank You.

Yuna...age 20...Technical Peak is already behind her...best she can do is...just maintain what she has right now.
If she can perform like she did in Vancouver, she has a fair chance in Sochi without Triple Axel which she'll never achieve.
But I will support her decision her decision 100%...if she turns to be a pro...even though it will make me really sad.

I just pray...I could see her performance...AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes. In all, I tend to think she's done with competition. She has a high profile and as mentioned before, enough star power to revive pro skating again. Let's see how ATS LA does- if it's a success, I can see future shows in this country as well as in Korea. Maybe they'll try Europe as well.

Lilith11

On the Ice
I would really recomend her to at least 1). unveil a bit of her SP at All that Skate in October and to go to 4CC to give her LP's and SP's as a way of testing the ice (no pun intended). That or she can eventually w/draw from Worlds and just end up going pro. Who knows. Lots of time between now and March. For now, I'm wondering what (if she decides to compete) her outfits will look like. Will she still get them made by the Canadian lady who made her Oly LP and SP dress? What do you think her SP, Spanish-inspired program will look like? Or her LP's Korean medley outfit (come to think of it, how could you modify a hanbok for an ice skating dress?)?

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
I would really recomend her to at least 1). unveil a bit of her SP at All that Skate in October and to go to 4CC to give her LP's and SP's as a way of testing the ice (no pun intended). That or she can eventually w/draw from Worlds and just end up going pro. Who knows. Lots of time between now and March. For now, I'm wondering what (if she decides to compete) her outfits will look like. Will she still get them made by the Canadian lady who made her Oly LP and SP dress? What do you think her SP, Spanish-inspired program will look like? Or her LP's Korean medley outfit (come to think of it, how could you modify a hanbok for an ice skating dress?)?

You don't know Yuna yet...Yuna has the STRONGEST HEART among all skaters...
The KEY for Yuna's success is PREPARATION...not preliminary contest like Four Continent.
Yuna loves to SHOW OFF what she prepared for the competitions or shows.
The only time I saw her crying is...after performing the long program flawlessly in Vancouver...which was her lifetime dream.

As long as she is healthy...Yuna is stronger in BIG MATCHes...her concentration is just amazing.

It really depends on her determination whether she'll continue the competition.
Yuna became Jr. Grand Prix, Jr Grand Prix Final, Jr Worlds and Sr. Grand Prix Final champion at her OWN WILL without Brian Orser's help.

If Yuna decides to continue...I have no doubt...Yuna will be the huge favorite all over again.

janetfan

Match Penalty
You don't know Yuna yet...Yuna has the STRONGEST HEART among all skaters...
The KEY for Yuna's success is PREPARATION...not preliminary contest like Four Continent.
Yuna loves to SHOW OFF what she prepared for the competitions or shows.
The only time I saw her crying is...after performing the long program flawlessly in Vancouver...which was her lifetime dream.

As long as she is healthy...Yuna is stronger in BIG MATCHes...her concentration is just amazing.

It really depends on her determination whether she'll continue the competition.
Yuna became Jr. Grand Prix, Jr Grand Prix Final, Jr Worlds and Sr. Grand Prix Final champion at her OWN WILL without Brian Orser's help.

If Yuna decides to continue...I have no doubt...Yuna will be the huge favorite all over again.

We all saw how Yuna cried on the podium at '09 Worlds.
Orser told us that at the GPF in Korea she cried her eyes out. What is the big deal? She is a champion and she is also human.

I don't think as many would like her if she was the type of souless robot that you seem to be describing.

Last edited: