Yuna Kim | Page 68 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Nadine

Record Breaker
I was watching Irina Slutskaya's 2005 Worlds FS earlier, with 7 triples including 2 3/3 combos. (with both the 3L/3R & 3S/3R underrotated on the second jump; 3/4ths short on the second combo.), and this does make me appreciate Yuna Kim more, which is why I've always maintained, thus far, she's the most complete all-around skater I've ever seen. No, she doesn't move me emotionally, yet I've always appreciated her superior skating. She just leaves me cold, same as Katarina Witt; neither is a reflection on either great skater, as I feel the same way about many others as well, and in turn people feel the same way about my favorites, so be it. :)

That said, I would love to see her do more than one 7-triple program in her career (same as Mao), as I know they both are capable of it. As well as completing all 5-triples (6 in Mao's case). If Michelle Kwan can do at least 11 or 13 7-triple programs in her career, then I expect the same from these two. And the same goes for 3/3 combos. If Irina Slutskaya & Sarah Hughes could do two or three 7-triple programs, including two 3/3 combos., then I expect the same from Yuna & Mao (though Mao has done one once thus far in her career). If they both stay in the game for the long run, then I personally expect each one to do better than they did before, eventually working up to a 7-triple program (all 5 different triples included), with 2 3/3 combos., from Yuna Kim. And for Mao an 8-triple program (including the 3A & all 6 different triples) with 2 3/3 combos.

As Rose Kennedy so eloquently stated ~ to those whom much is given, much is expected...

I really hope that one day, Yu-na will do 2 3/3's and 5-triple programs again. And Level 4 stepsequence; I love watching jumps, but I find step sequences MUCH more enjoyable, honestly, to watch. Or is that just me?

No, it's not just you. I also love watching step sequences even more than jumps. They take me into the music more, I guess. This is one reason Kurt Browning leads my list of male skaters, with Yagudin not far behind, and Yuka Sato is so high up on the ladies' list for me. They use their feet as though the ice weren't slippery and the music was composed just for them.

cosmos

On the Ice
In terms of both technical difficulty and quality, no female skater can match Ito Midori.

Ito was great, no doubt about that. But, as far as toe jumps are concerned, YuNa is better or at least equalt to Ito. For me, YuNa's 3-3 is more breathtaking than Ito's.

parma

On the Ice
Last edited:

EricRohmer

On the Ice
two trivial corrections.. ^^;

We all saw how Yuna cried on the podium at '09 Worlds.
Orser told us that at the GPF in Korea after Mao beat her she cried her eyes out. What is the big deal? She is a champion and she is also human.

Yuna cried after SP(leading), entering into waiting room. (It was seen in Korean TV-news program.)
08GPF in Korea was one of the toughest competitions that Yuna has ever experienced.

I love your little notebook. Great stats. I just put together these stats for Yu-na's 3-3:
06 SC SP & LP, 06 TEB SP & LP, 06 GPF SP&LP, 07 Worlds SP & LP, 07 COC LP, 07 COR SP & LP, 07 GPF LP, 08 Worlds LP, 08 SA SP & LP, 08 COC SP & LP, 08 GPF SP & LP, 09 4CC SP & LP, 09 Worlds SP & LP, 09 TEB SP & LP, 09 SA SP & LP, 09 GPF SP, Vancouver Olympics SP & LP.

That's thirty 3-3s in her senior career. Two URed (09 SA LP & 09 GPF SP, that's 28 then).

08 Worlds SP, 10 Worlds SP & LP are left out. ^^

2008 Worlds SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfA91efZEzk

Last edited:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
EricRohmer;517266 08 Worlds SP said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfA91efZEzk[/url]

Oh yes, thanks for that. That makes a total of 32 attempts. I think that's 30 fully rotated. I can't remember edge calls, but I think it's 2 edge calls and 2 attentions. 28 or 26, take whichever you want.

Yuna cried after SP(leading), entering into waiting room. (It was seen in Korean TV-news program.)08GPF in Korea was one of the toughest competitions that Yuna has ever experienced.

She certainly had an extraordinary amount of pressure on her all through the last two years. At Vancouver, I was amazed she could stand up on the ice, let alone compete so stunningly. If she cried before, during, and after each of those competitions, she was certainly entitled. I could barely watch her Olympic Long Program, I was so tense. But I'm sure glad I did watch. I still get gooseflesh from the memory of it.

Last edited:

brownfox

On the Ice
two trivial corrections.. ^^;

Yuna cried after SP(leading), entering into waiting room. (It was seen in Korean TV-news program.)
08GPF in Korea was one of the toughest competitions that Yuna has ever experienced.

Ohhh boy..what a tough situation that was for her. In a way I thank the IOC for not choosing Pyeonchang to host 2010 Olympics.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Ohhh boy..what a tough situation that was for her. In a way I thank the IOC for not choosing Pyeonchang to host 2010 Olympics.

I guess it was tough but nothing most skaters don't have to deal with sometime in their career. The added pressure that can come with skating on home ice is nothing new or unique to Yuna.

Many skaters have had to face it and we saw Joannie last season skating on home Olympic ice under the most extraordinary circumstances. Not sure if a GPF is really the same as the Olympics or even Worlds as far as the pressure.

I think at the time Brian said it was a good learning experience for Yuna and since she won 09 Worlds and the OGM he was probably right.

I am sure if the 2010 Olympics had been in Korea it would have just added to Yuna's pressure. Somehow I think she would have dealt with it. :)

parma

On the Ice
Last edited: