Yuna Kim | Page 91 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

jatale

On the Ice
This is wonderful to see! I just hope so much that she will compete at the rescheduled Worlds, I'm worried about conflicts with her ATS shows in Korea scheduled for early May. I hope she decides to compete even if it means delaying the ATS shows a bit if needed. These new videos are so tantalizing, let's all hope that the joy of Yuna's skating will be on glorious display at this year's Worlds!

It would be some world-class treat if YuNa could compete at Worlds! I hope everything works out to allow that. I agree with you, Mavy: David Wilson is definitely her Lori Nichol, and they should stay together for as long as she skates--which I hope is a good long time.

Robeye

Final Flight
Yuna's Giselle practice clip with Giselle music in the background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n10utIKGeAc&feature=player_embedded

note: this is not the official cut of Yuna's SP. But it sounds good. ;)

While the clips are still a fragmentary look at her SP, they are telling. IMO, Yuna's skating has been polished even further to a lapidary sheen. I've always loved the seamless synthesis she achieved between those fighting twins that constantly tussle to gain the upper hand in artistic movement: clarity of articulation, and fluidity. Based on what I see, Yuna's become even more assured in her orchestration of these aspects. Not to mention the new and improved extension and digital vectoring (otherwise known as toe pointing ;)) highlighted in her spin.

If her jumps are also (as hinted in interviews) in fact in Olympic condition, Yuna is going to be very, very tough to beat.

cooper

Medalist
While the clips are still a fragmentary look at her SP, they are telling. IMO, Yuna's skating has been polished even further to a lapidary sheen. I've always loved the seamless synthesis she achieved between those fighting twins that constantly tussle to gain the upper hand in artistic movement: clarity of articulation, and fluidity. Based on what I see, Yuna's become even more assured in her orchestration of these aspects. Not to mention the new and improved extension and digital vectoring (otherwise known as toe pointing ;)) highlighted in her spin.

If her jumps are also (as hinted in interviews) in fact in Olympic condition, Yuna is going to be very, very tough to beat.

If she's going to compete. Judging by the recent and future events, she's too busy.

miki88

Medalist
I don't really see much difference in her toe positions. Her spiral in one of the clips looked better from one angle but there was another clip where they showed it from another angle and it looked the same, so not sure on that.

cooper

Medalist
I don't really see much difference in her toe positions. Her spiral in one of the clips looked better from one angle but there was another clip where they showed it from another angle and it looked the same, so not sure on that.

But her spiral extension is quiet different though.. ;) and it's not as ugly as before..

Robeye

Final Flight

http://mydaily.ofscdn.com/FILES/201103/201103221125322279_1.jpg

Perhaps a photo makes it easier to judge. Yuna's foot used to be basically 90 degrees/perpendicular to the leg in spirals. As you can see here, it's now 45 degrees-ish, or so.

The difference in extension from previous seasons is also pretty clear-cut, in my view.

miki88

Medalist
http://mydaily.ofscdn.com/FILES/201103/201103221125322279_1.jpg

Perhaps a photo makes it easier to judge. Yuna's foot used to be basically 90 degrees/perpendicular to the leg in spirals. As you can see here, it's now 45 degrees-ish, or so.

The difference in extension from previous seasons is also pretty clear-cut, in my view.

As I've said, from certain angles, the extension appeared to be better. It's hard to judge from a few pics/clips.

I may have missed something... Is it figure skating or a toe-pointing competition? :biggrin:

I don't think anyone's implying that YuNa would lose because of her toes. But she's so wonderful that any improvement just gives us extra delight to see it. Even the dazzling can always get better.

jatale

On the Ice
If she's going to compete. Judging by the recent and future events, she's too busy.

This is what puzzles me. The Olympic hosting bid is important, but I would think competing at Worlds would be more important. A victory for her at Worlds would positively impact Korea's bid, so its a win win. If she skips Worlds, on the other hand, all her hard training this past year will be for little gain, she does not need to be in Olympic shape to give speeches and skate ice-show programs. If Worlds is rescheduled within the next couple of months, it seems to me that Yuna should compete, not only for herself but also because it could indirectly help Korea's Olympic hosting bid too.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
This is what puzzles me. The Olympic hosting bid is important, but I would think competing at Worlds would be more important. A victory for her at Worlds would positively impact Korea's bid, so its a win win. If she skips Worlds, on the other hand, all her hard training this past year will be for little gain, she does not need to be in Olympic shape to give speeches and skate ice-show programs. If Worlds is rescheduled within the next couple of months, it seems to me that Yuna should compete, not only for herself but also because it could indirectly help Korea's Olympic hosting bid too.

The bottom line is she is not guaranteed a win if she goes. Plus, she is busy and that's real. I think whether she will end up going or not will depend on when and where the rescheduled World will be. At this point, it looks like it's going to be Moscow in the 3rd or last week of April. Depends on what else it's on her schedule and most importantly, whether she is willing to return to her training schedule in order to prepare for the event. If she intends to compete, between now and then, she will need to return to LA and train, which means she will have to cancel most of her PR activities between now and end of April.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin: As seen in that spiral photo ,Yuna is wearing a different boot. HUZZAH ! This style of boot is much easier to achieve a pointed toe in. Pardon me , this has been annoying me for years . She has always worn a boot that has a very flat arch and a domed toe , which makes it practically impossible to get a nice point. You could see she was stretched everywhere else, and she was probably pointing like mad ,but restrained by the boots. Maybe Kwak will change her boots now, too. ;) ( Hers have been the same style as Yuna's old ones.)

ETA: Knowing how important a comfortable boot is to skaters, and how long it can take to get used to new ones , she's probably been too busy to undertake a switch ..until she could take this breather following the Olympics..I'm thrilled ( can you tell ?)

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
Everything that she's been doing since her last ice show will be for naught if she skipped Worlds. Given that she chose to focus on training all these months and only did a few commercials and engagements in between (and no ice shows), I think we can assume she's highly committed to competing at Worlds. She's also gotten a lot thinner judging by the new pictures, not an easy or pleasurable feat I assume.

The only problem, of course, is that in the upcoming weeks she also has other very important commitments. Some can be rescheduled (her ice shows), but others may not be so flexible.

I do wonder how many skaters might withdraw from a rescheduled Worlds due to other commitments.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
:biggrin: As seen in that spiral photo ,Yuna is wearing a different boot. HUZZAH ! This style of boot is much easier to achieve a pointed toe in. Pardon me , this has been annoying me for years . She has always worn a boot that has a very flat arch and a domed toe , which makes it practically impossible to get a nice point. You could see she was stretched everywhere else, and she was probably pointing like mad ,but restrained by the boots. Maybe Kwak will change her boots now, too. ;) ( Hers have been the same style as Yuna's old ones.)

ETA: Knowing how important a comfortable boot is to skaters, and how long it can take to get used to new ones , she's probably been too busy to undertake a switch ..until she could take this breather following the Olympics..I'm thrilled ( can you tell ?)

She used to wear Risport, like Mao. The boots she has on look like the very popular SP-Teri boot (worn by Michelle and Mirai).

Robeye

Final Flight

What an interesting and (for me, anyway) novel point. I hadn't realized that the boot could make such a noticeable difference.

Question: are there any trade-offs in wearing the current boot as compared to her old ones? In other words, if the new boots provide a relative benefit in terms of up/down flexibility, are there any relative drawbacks vis-a-vis the previous model?

miki88

Medalist
She used to wear Risport, like Mao. The boots she has on look like the very popular SP-Teri boot (worn by Michelle and Mirai).

Interesting. I am not sure if the boots were the issue because it didn't seem to affect Mao's positions.

cooper

Medalist
Yuna just said that she heard that the decision will be announced soon, regarding the Worlds and that it looks like she'll just keep practicing. I guess I'll take this as a positive sign. :biggrin: