Yuna Kim | Page 96 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

YunaBliss

On the Ice
The program looks spectacular. Very Yuna-esque and an absolute marvel, even without costume.

I am going to really savor and appreciate this - knowing that we are witnessing something that will rarely be duplicated.

It will be like drinking a glass of 1945 vintage Chateau Mouton-Rothschild.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Looks great. She seems even more expressive and the jumps look rock solid. Interesting that she is doing her lutz more in the corner than last season where she did it from a pretty much straight entry down the middle.

Wow! Look at her layback spin! She seems to be more flexible than before. This is going to be some swell championships!

alexeifan

On the Ice
I hope she's holding some things back and will show a more interesting program in the competition, I want to see some EPIC LEGENDARY skates from her!!

Lilith11

On the Ice
I hope she's holding some things back and will show a more interesting program in the competition, I want to see some EPIC LEGENDARY skates from her!!

Doesn't Yu-na hold back performance wise usually during practices? :3 I remember back in 2007 Worlds, Peggy commented that Yu-na had been very quite, very reserved and expressionless during practice... and then BAM during the actual SP event, she was on fire! :D

alexeifan

On the Ice
Well, if she's holding back speed wise, it's going to be INSANE!! Lol

I hope there are some parts where she's on her toes like Baiul or something more like that. That'd make the program more interesting imo.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Well, if she's holding back speed wise, it's going to be INSANE!! Lol

I hope there are some parts where she's on her toes like Baiul or something more like that. That'd make the program more interesting imo.

I remember in her open media practices in Korea there was a part where she's on her toes or rather en pointe for a bit... oddly enough, it didn't show in the SP run-thru. Maybe there's more idk?

quikrush

Rinkside
As a fan, I'm just glad to see that her jumps&spins and overall skating skills are as good as ever. I think her speed has even improved from last season, this girl is almost eerily good. To me her new SP is quite intriguing, this version of Giselle IMO suits the fieriness of her skating nicely. And it isn't all fieriness either, I especially like the part when a bell rings out and the choreo takes on a serene, mysterious tone. I'm not very familiar with the details of the Giselle story, though, so I can't tell what it signifies. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing the actual competition with the costume and all!

sunny0760

On the Ice
I remember in her open media practices in Korea there was a part where she's on her toes or rather en pointe for a bit... oddly enough, it didn't show in the SP run-thru. Maybe there's more idk?

I wonder it too.:)
The spirals we all saw, however, seem to be meant for the LP, not for the SP.

By the way, someone made this. Yuna's SP practice and the actual ballet scenes from the music cuts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax4WHd5RZOc&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

Lilith11

On the Ice
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any information on her costume at world?

They'll probably be unveiled at dress rehearsal; thus far, we can only guess at the color scheme based on the pictures of the earrings Yu-na will be wearing as released by J. Estina; her Arirang dress will probably include black, her Giselle dress blue.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They'll probably be unveiled at dress rehearsal; thus far, we can only guess at the color scheme based on the pictures of the earrings Yu-na will be wearing as released by J. Estina; her Arirang dress will probably include black, her Giselle dress blue.

Black for her FD costume? That's curious. :think: As I understand, Korean ethnic dresses are known for using bright primary colors. Black is not one of them, though. :confused:

prettykeys

Medalist
Black for her FD costume? That's curious. :think: As I understand, Korean ethnic dresses are known for using bright primary colors. Black is not one of them, though. :confused:
Someone else with a stronger grasp of Korean traditions throughout history will have to clarify further, but it's my understanding that only the strictest traditional hanbok use the bright colours. They are not always the primary colours, though (e.g. red, blue, yellow, and green if you consider that primary) - especially for the women, they can include pinks and purples.

However, you can confirm that this tradition isn't used in all hanbok by doing a quick Google search. You will see burgandies, indigo, teals, pastels, browns and black incorporated into the designs, and lots of pink and purple as I mentioned. One of the most stunning hanbok I've seen had a black top with a deep red skirt, and accented all over with gold.

My mother has a rich brown and copper hanbok with gold accents. :)

treeloving

Medalist

Thank you so much, I'm kind of hope her dress will reflect traditional Korean dress like what I see in Dae jang geum.

Someone else with a stronger grasp of Korean traditions throughout history will have to clarify further, but it's my understanding that only the strictest traditional hanbok use the bright colours. They are not always the primary colours, though (e.g. red, blue, yellow, and green if you consider that primary) - especially for the women, they can include pinks and purples.

However, you can confirm that this tradition isn't used in all hanbok by doing a quick Google search. You will see burgandies, indigo, teals, pastels, browns and black incorporated into the designs, and lots of pink and purple as I mentioned. One of the most stunning hanbok I've seen had a black top with a deep red skirt, and accented all over with gold.

My mother has a rich brown and copper hanbok with gold accents. :)

That sounds gorgeous, Prettykeys. Thanks for the info on hanbok. I've always thought Korean dress was so unusual compared to other traditional Asian dress, which tends to be straight up and down--I'm thinking of China, Japan, the Philippines, and Vietnam. Do you have any information on the origin?

Believe it or not, my first view of hanbok was on a Barbie doll. They had a line of international Barbies that included a Korean doll in about 1990 or so. Her dress was a bright, deep pink and green, very nicely made. When I did a bit of research (and I've since seen hanbok worn by real-life people), I found that Mattel had actually made a very authentic-looking dress. I look forward to seeing YuNa's interpretation of one in her skating costume.

Wow! it's actually here. The men have skated their short program, and the pairs are starting out. Can you believe it? Hooray!