LADIES- Japanese Nationals (Senior) | Page 15 | Golden Skate

LADIES- Japanese Nationals (Senior)

herro

On the Ice
I'm sure plenty of fans are thrilled for her, but I have an issue with a (presumably) winning skate that has no lutz and no salchow in the program. :disapp:

Me too... her jump repertoire (by that I mean jumps she does frequently in competition, not jumps she could do technically) is not very inspirational right now. I'd still say despite her win (presumably) here, she won't be rivaling Yuna going into Vancouver.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Ohhh... No second 3A... Sigh... She can fix that by the four continents!!! Great job though!! Now, Akiko need to place higher then Yukari or score around same as Yukari to get the spot! I'm looking at 185+

I'm pretty sure she wasn't planning on doing the 2nd 3A to make sure she does well (to secure a spot on the Olympic team). I think she's planning on going to 4CC to do the full-on program... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sure plenty of fans are thrilled for her, but I have an issue with a (presumably) winning skate that has no lutz and no salchow in the program. :disapp:

While I thought the same thing when I saw the jump layout, we'll have to see the actual performance before passing judgment.

Shaba22

Final Flight
NOW:

1 Mao ASADA 204.62
2 Yukari NAKANO 195.73
3 Miki ANDO 185.44
4 Haruka IMAI 166.16
5 Fumie SUGURI 161.29

herro

On the Ice
BUT going back to the Haruka Imai girl I was talking about before... she IS going to be top 6! :clap:

bluelutz

On the Ice
Fumie Suguri

I did not get her jumps,
she missed first 3Lz and 3F but got 3S

102.59 / 161.29 currently 5th

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure she wasn't planning on doing the 2nd 3A to make sure she does well (to secure a spot on the Olympic team). I think she's planning on going to 4CC to do the full-on program... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

While I thought the same thing when I saw the jump layout, we'll have to see the actual performance before passing judgment.

I'm "old school" and think more highly of skaters who can successfully do the entire repertoire of jumps....correctly. My personal revamp of COP would give generous bonus points for skaters accomplishing same!

M

mylastduchess

her score is a bit inflated... but I'll take a 3A instead of the Salchow. But she needs to put another 3 or 2A in this program she has only done 5 triples which wont cut it internationally.

Nadia01

Final Flight
... then why perpetuate the animosity?

What animosity?

I'm just pointing out the absurdity of the criticism when their goddess is doing the same jump 4 times (b/c their argument is all about how Mao is soooooo much better than Yuna is every way).

Either way, I'm glad to see Mao skate well since I do like her skating quite a bit. But I don't care for Mao-bots. :)

herro

On the Ice
... then why perpetuate the animosity?

I like to think that the post was making a general observation. I don't think it was meant to be vicious. Well, my reply to that is all skaters do whatever they have to do to maximize their points. If that means repeating jumps they're good at, obviously they'll do it. It gets repetitive, but no biggie. It's just where the sport is now. Mao does it. So does Yuna. End of story. :cool:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Fumie is a sentimental favorite of mine, but it looks like she won't be going to the Olympics--not that this is any surprise. But at least she had the experience in 2006. Hopefully we'll see her in at least one more international competition before this season is out.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I'm "old school" and think more highly of skaters who can successfully do the entire repertoire of jumps....correctly. My personal revamp of COP would give generous bonus points for skaters accomplishing same!

I'm agreeing with you, but I'm acknowledging that there are some programs that aren't perfect jump-wise (though it's a stretch to call a clean program with a 3A flawed) that are otherwise brilliant (i.e. spirals/spins/steps, as well as overall presentation). Again, I still think that not having all 5 (or 6, in Mao's case) jumps is a flaw, I'd prefer that over a 5-triple program that's otherwise uninspired.

Also, keep in mind that we're basing this off of a second-hand account consisting of 3's and letters... I'm sure that we wouldn't be as focused on the jump layout if we were just watching it live.

Shaba22

Final Flight
1 Mao ASADA 204.62
2 Akiko SUZUKI 195.90 :clap:
3 Yukari NAKANO 195.73
4 Miki ANDO 185.44
5 Haruka IMAI(Jr2) 166.16
6 Fumie SUGURI AK 161.29

life684

Final Flight
I cracks me up that Yuna-haters say it's ridiculous that Yuna does axel jump three times, and here's Mao doing loop 4 times plus axel three times. :rofl:

Mao has one 3A and two 2As, instead of three 2As. Again loops she does 2 thriple loops and 2 double loops in combinations they a re not the same.

Remember that yuna at beat can only do 4 types of triple jumps (no loops), mao has done 4 types of triple without lutz and salchow. so their is nothing to laugh about the jump content when you compare it with yuna.

Yuna only got 4 triple jump ratified at the GPF so doing 5 triple is will hurt mao but won't be a deal breaker.

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Holy, effing sh*t (give me a language infraction, but there's no other way of expressing my awe). 0.17 separating Akiko and Yukari. The JSF is going to have a fun time figuring out who to send to the Olympics.

Moxie

On the Ice
Fumie is a sentimental favorite of mine, but it looks like she won't be going to the Olympics--not that this is any surprise. But at least she had the experience in 2006. Hopefully we'll see her in at least one more international competition before this season is out.

4CC, I expect -- but probably not Worlds.
I still think it's cool to see a skater around of such an advanced age :p