As a Skater, Does MK have any flaws? | Golden Skate

As a Skater, Does MK have any flaws?

Taan

On the Ice
It has occured to me in reviewing the many many beautiful performances of Michelle Kwan what sets her apart from the rest; what makes her the creme of the crop as it were.....

She is flawless in her skating!! perfection on ice!! most skaters have serious glaring deficiencies in either spinning, jumping or choreography etc. but what makes mk truly excpetional and different is she does EVERYTHING well....she has absolutly NO defeciencies in her skating....this makes her extremly rare and unique in the skating world - she is the only flawless, perfect skater in the the history of skating!!!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
AT LAST!!! someone who has seen the light and speaks only the truth.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh: :laugh:

Germanice

On the Ice
Just pinch me - a thread like this cannot be true?! The usual fairy-tale time before Christmas? People, people!!! :D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anke

shine

Record Breaker
Taan said:
she is the only flawless, perfect skater in the the history of skating!!!
Um...just a polite suggestion...
Try get out there more...

Last edited:

windspirit

On the Ice
Taan said:
She is flawless in her skating!! perfection on ice!! most skaters have serious glaring deficiencies in either spinning, jumping or choreography etc. but what makes mk truly excpetional and different is she does EVERYTHING well....she has absolutly NO defeciencies in her skating....this makes her extremly rare and unique in the skating world - she is the only flawless, perfect skater in the the history of skating!!!
Taan, just out of curiosity -- what is the point of some of your posts, like this one and that about Sasha having the chance of becoming "the best ever"? http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/huh.gif

I'm sure you're aware that with such generalizations a rational discussion is difficult, if not impossible. No skater is flawless or "the best ever." Saying things like that only invites people to yet another 'my skater is better than yours' "debate", and not only that...

All that Jazz

Rinkside
Taan said:
:rolleye:
Hate to say it, but "statements" just like that (let's assume the poster was serious) only reinforce typical prejudices of European skating fans against "synthetic, boring" Michelle Kwan and her "crazy, delusional" US-fans.
Not helpful at all! :\

Last edited:

SkateCynic

Rinkside
*SIGH*

Taan, I guess the safest way to answer this is to say that it's virtually impossible to find a definitive answer to your question(s). Perfection and being "the best ever" is so incredibly subjective, depending on what appeals to the individual.

Some people prefer quiet beauty, grace, and elegance, while others prefer drama, passion, and fire. Myself, I try to embrace and appreciate what each individual skater brings to the sport, not necessarily the quest for being the top banana.

No skater is completely perfect or flawless. All skaters have moments of brilliance (some more than others, to be fair). All skaters have also had seasons/programs/moments in their skating that warrant criticism.

I appreciate the admiration and love for your favorite skater, Taan. I guess I just can't comprehend devotion and love of a skater to the point of being blind to flaws or weak points, for every skater has them.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Respectful Disagreement

I can appreciate the initial poster's feelings, however, I agree with much of what's been said that follows.

MK performs well in all areas, true enough. But NO skater, no matter how great has total domination in ALL areas.

MK has improved greatly in the past 2 years alone.

To me, her one flaw is that she lacks the "spring" to her jumps that some other skaters have and thus leads her to be less able to attempt and complete more 3x3s.

Hope this doesn't offend, just my opinion.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I used to find her spins slow but last year I noticed a GREAT improvement in that area.

I used to think that all her programs looked exactly the same, but last year was a wonderful departure.

No one is "flawless". If she were, she'd have two Olympic gold medals by now. When a skater falls on her heine in the LP of the Olympics, she proves to be just human!

dizzydi

On the Ice
MK and flaws.............

It kind of scares me when I read hero worship as evident in the original post. Michelle Kwan is an awesome figureskater with a phenominal record, no doubt about it. Flawless.......please. I think even Michelle, herself, would laugh over that comment.

A couple things I have learned throughout my life........never, never worship people. You are doing them a huge injustice. No human being can live up to being perfect. When you worship someone, you are setting yourself up for huge disappointments.

Michelle Kwan, in my opinion, will likely prove to be a legend simply because topping her achievements will be hard if not impossible. But perfect........I wouldn't expect that from anyone, not even Michelle.

Dizzy

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I agree with what everyone else has said, and would add that even Michelle recognizes what her deficiencies are. And that is one of the reasons that she still improves, as she did last year. If there is no recognition of fault, how can there ever be any growth! I am reminded of Michelle saying in her Campbell's interview that, " I was the least flexible skater ever." And so she worked, and worked and worked...

Doris

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It's also the kind of topic which makes the moderators sit up and hope there will be no bashing.:eek:

Joe

which is why I was going to refrain from commenting as I know there are tons of MK fans on this board, and as I am not one of them I do find this thread a bit freaky as I don't see how any skater could be flawless (though there are those that come close), but now I have to LOL I've waited long enough(5 mins is a long time, honest! ;))

personally I can only comment on what I see on TV, and she skates slower than a lot of the other skaters I've seen... granted it's on TV so perspective is skewed so I could totally be off on this judgement. I find her skating to be boring... I haven't been watching her for eons as I haven't been a huge "elligible" skating fan until recently but I don't really see how she's uped the ante since she started to in 96/97... instead of her pushing the enveloe she's now being pushed by the likes of Sasha and the rest of the Morosovized crew(which is a whole other subject I find totally overratted in many cases, and yes I realize some of my favorites use him but still LOL) Saying any skater is flawless is just an opinion... personally I see Kristi Yamaguchi as the more flawless skater... or maybe Yuka Sato... she's seamless... for the men I'd say Kurt Browning... the man is out of this world on teh ice

but it's just an opinion... just don't get scary about it LOL

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Uhmmm.....where is the tongue in cheek icon when it's needed? I believe the original post was not meant to be taken seriously. IMO it is in the line of OK MK fans everytime something that is not a gush is written about her you don't like it, so how's this?

Piel :D :laugh: :p :D :laugh: :p

RealtorGal said:
When a skater falls on her heine...
Does Michelle have any flaws?

No. This is logically impossible, because Michelle defines perfection. When she falls on her heine it is a perfect fall. On a perfect heine.

Mathman, impartial observer of all things perfect.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Does Michelle have any flaws?

No. This is logically impossible, because Michelle defines perfection. When she falls on her heine it is a perfect fall. On a perfect heine.

Mathman, impartial observer of all things perfect.

Maybe they should add FALLS to the Code of Points! There should be extra points given for graceful falls, while splats should earn less points! :D :laugh: :)

registered

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
Maybe they should add FALLS to the Code of Points! There should be extra points given for graceful falls, while splats should earn less points! :D :laugh: :)

And how about giving out extra points for having a "perfect heine?"

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
falls and such

Maybe they should add FALLS to the Code of Points! There should be extra points given for graceful falls, while splats should earn less points!

If they do that, Maria Butyrskaya might be tempted to come back to eligible competition.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Taan,

NO! Even if you are serious, you have just created a dream world for Michelle bashers! I adore Michelle and think she is OVERALL the best, but she's certainly not the most spectacular human ever to wear skates. She's phenomenal and brilliant...but not other worldly. Her camel spin could use more speed and a 3/3 would be an added benefit. You are more than welcome to share your opinions. But...just as I find pointless and off-the-subject Michelle jabs and stabs to be tasteless and only inflamatory...sometimes extreme love-fests and idol proclamations can have a similar effect. It's better to find a middle ground. If this were a Michelle Kwan board that might be different, but it is a mixed board with fans for almost every skater imaginable. LOL...and Germanice...you really showed some restraint! I couldn't believe it! I figured there'd be a two-page listing from you!

instead of her pushing the enveloe she's now being pushed by the likes of Sasha and the rest of the Morosovized crew

This is the only thing I semi-disagree with. It's one athlete pushing another to be even better that is the whole basis for sport. Michelle and Tara pushed one another, as did Michelle and Irina...and Debi/Katarina, Boitano/Orser, Yagudin/Plushenko, etc. and so many others! I think it'd be a great thing if the rise of Sasha pushed Michelle to reach deeper. Sometimes that is the best and most effective incentive. I think rivalry is one of the most interesting aspects of any sport...especially skating!