Just HOW will the U.S. teams be picked? | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Just HOW will the U.S. teams be picked?

I can totally see a repeat of '06 happening, Sasha goes to Olympic practices, sees how amazing Yuna, Miki, and Mao are and then decides her injury is too painful and pulls out to avoid being humilated.
My sadness for Sasha is that her only talent is figure skating - no acting, no singing, no dancing. Vancouver will mean a lot to her. She can then decide what to with her life. I'm assuming she no longer wants the 'gypsy' life of a travelling show.

janetfan

Match Penalty
My sadness for Sasha is that her only talent is figure skating - no acting, no singing, no dancing. Vancouver will mean a lot to her. She can then decide what to with her life. I'm assuming she no longer wants the 'gypsy' life of a travelling show.

"Poor Sasha" ;)

What is she, 25?
Not only has she traveled all over the world, but she has made a bundle of money. If I read a recent interview right she mentioned that she is "proud of her house."

How many 25 year olds have seen the world and own their own home?
If Sasha is fortunate enough to make a third Olympic team she will have to decide afterwards what to do with her life.

She seems driven and disciplined enough to become successful in other areas of life.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
What do you mean by "repeat of '06?" Sasha didn't pull out of course. (And if you are talking about Michelle Kwan, her 2006 assignment and subsequent pull-out of Olympics was absolutely about physical injury. To my knowledge, nobody has ever caught Michelle chickening out in the face of tough competition. And--importantly--she pulled out in time to allow her replacement to get fired up and compete.)

If Sasha did get selected for Olympic team, got there, and then chickened out of the competition, her name would be mud forever among skating fans. Possibly sponsors also. You don't go for the Gusto unless you intend to follow through all the way once the opportunity presents itself.

I was referring to Michelle, who I am a fan of, but I actually think Sasha's injury might become as issue. Nationals is just one competition, she can go all out and deal with the pain for a couple days, but when she goes back to practicing hard right after nationals, it could get worse. There is something to be said about pushing yourself harder when in the presence of better skaters. At nationals, Sasha does not have too much to worry about, but when she's practicing amongst Yuna, Mao, Miki, etc, she'll want to vamp it up to show she's still in the game. I feel like when/if she does this, she might go too far/try harder things, etc, and worsen her injury to the point where she has to withdraw. This is all just speculation though. The other thing is that she is 25 and hasn't competed in 4 years, she'll be naturally more prone to injury than say Mao or Yuna, who are 6 years younger and train all the time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Poor Sasha" ;)

What is she, 25?
Not only has she traveled all over the world, but she has made a bundle of money. If I read a recent interview right she mentioned that she is "proud of her house."

Apparently Sasha does not have a "bundle of money". She has said that the reason why she didn't come back last season was she needed the money from SOI.

Yes, she bought a house (at the peak of the real estate market), but now she has a mortgage to pay and of course all her other expenses.

Unlike Sarah Hughes, Michelle Kwan, Alissa Czisny and Emily Hughes, Sasha doesn't have an education and therefore doesn't have the alternatives those skaters have when it comes to earning money.

Acting has so far been a bust for Sasha. She does have endorsements right now, but if she doesn't make it to the Olympics or makes it but doesn't medal, those endorsements won't last.

Sasha is obviously trying to parlay the publicity from her comeback bid into rejuvenating her show biz career, or expanding it into other areas. Fear of failure has to be an added pressure on her.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think RD wants Flatt, Bob wants Sasquatch, or maybe it was the other way around. Both don't want the same combination though. ;)

Sasquatch?

Lol, I want Gao and Maxwell to skate in circles around everyone else just to see if their scores will be even remotely fair. My guess is even if they do this, they will be below 5th place :scowl: