Who will stay and who will retire after this season? | Golden Skate

Who will stay and who will retire after this season?

Bennett

Record Breaker
For ladies, I wonder what Yuna, Caro, and Joannie will do. I guess Mao will stay, but all the other Japanese ladies are questionable. I do not see Miki staying. She could have retired many years ago, but pushed it through so long already. Nakano or Fumie, either. Fumie is actually more likely than Yukari to stay, as Fumie said that her condition is going upward even though she would think talking with her parents and other people. In contrast, Nakano has gotten an offer to work in a TV company (not as a broadcaster or anything though). I also have a feeling that she would eventually become a housewife, just a guess;
Akiko, no idea.
Men, I do not know much enough. But I want Nobu to stay as he still seems to have a growth potential in his artistry.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I think Brian Joubert and Evgeni Plushenko both have expressed the desire to stay but I doubt if Plushenko will if he gets the OGM this time. Same to Joubert. If Joubert gets OGM this time, I think he's desire of staying might fade. Johnny Weir will retire for sure. The rest, I can only guess.

gio

Medalist
But what will they do if they retire, now that there aren't many pro skating opportunies around anymore? Coaching? Judging? Choreography?
I guess they should stay 'till 30 years of age (as Butyrskaya, Drei and others did). But we have also to consider injuries. If they are to much marred by injuries than it is probably better to retire. FS is physically and mentally a very demanding sport.

Shaba22

Final Flight
European champion figure skater Julia Sebestyen (Granny) will retire from competition after '10 olympics or '10 worlds. She hasitates about the two possibilities.

schiele

Final Flight
Yuna will retire almost certainly I think, especially if she wins OGM.
I dont think Plush will continue with those knees after olympics. Brian might stay as he said but Im not very sure. Tomas will most probably stay.
Other candidates that will most likely retire are; Weir, K. Berntsson, KvdP, Sebestyen, Czinsy (??), Ando, Takahashi, Lambiel, Kostner (??), Abbott(??),Jenna, Bradley, Meier, Suguri, Nakano, Lysacek (??)...

Bennett

Record Breaker
I hope that Dai stays one more season. He lost one entire season for an injury and recovery from it. I do not think that he is at his peak yet with his renewed body. I would like to see him peak and florish before retirement.

I'd be glad if Tomas stays. We may finally see a clean Tomas then?

Even if Yuna gets OGM, I wish if she stays, too. She seems healthy and happy. We don't hear any injuries this season and I think that there are many more things that she could do. She may be most likely to maintain the similar jump layout, but she would be able to try other styles of programs. She is still 19. Too young to retire.

schiele

Final Flight
I'd be glad if Tomas stays. We may finally see a clean Tomas then?

Even if Yuna gets OGM, I wish if she stays, too. She seems healthy and happy. We don't hear any injuries this season and I think that there are many more things that she could do. She may be most likely to maintain the similar jump layout, but she would be able to try other styles of programs. She is still 19. Too young to retire.

We might see a better Tomas I think, and hopefully so. But Im not holding my breath
I totally share your sentiments about Yuna but my impressions from her interviews indicate the contrary. However, she stated that wanted to be a very memorable skater like Kwan. If she still thinks about it, she must stay on though.

efreedman

On the Ice
I think Brian Joubert and Evgeni Plushenko both have expressed the desire to stay but I doubt if Plushenko will if he gets the OGM this time. Same to Joubert. If Joubert gets OGM this time, I think he's desire of staying might fade. Johnny Weir will retire for sure. The rest, I can only guess.

Don't bet on it.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I just read that Dai does not think of the next Olympics and that this will be his last Olympics.

But he could still stay for another Worlds....:) I mean I hope he does.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I do think Dai is staying in for another worlds - isn't 2011 in Japan?

The ones I'm most curious about are

Carolina Kostner: does does she leave when she's this low? Even if Marchei goes to the Olympics, Kostner's guaranteed for Worlds, right? No way can Marchei crack the top ten at worlds, and Italy wants it's two spots back

Dube/Davison (and all the Canadian pairs teams, actually): You know, these two are actually quite young and it wouldn't be unusual at all for them to continue. But I do wonder about them. Their ups and downs have me curious if they'd leave. And L/H and D/B with their injuries... where do they end up?

Kim: Well duh. I've heard people citing the stress of her life as being a prime reason she'd leave, but my understanding is that she's also interested in being an entertainer (singer), so she'd still be in the spotlight, no?

Ando/Suzuki/Nakano: Japan's really deep; Ando's hada resurgent season or two and could want to continue. Or, maybe an Olympic medal would be enough to cap of her career. Suzuki's coming of her best, so does she continue or does she go after the climax.

MasterB

Final Flight
When you are good at something and you love it, why retire. I have never understood why someone in their twenties would contemplate retirement, unless of course you are injured and can't do it anymore.

Most of the contenders are fit, with the exception of Plushenko and Lambiel, if I were them I would compete until the body says NO MORE.

The secret to skating through your twenties pain free is to cross train with other activities. At their level they no longer need to spend 5 hours a day repeating the same jumps over and over again.

Anyway, I hope the young ones remain through their late twenties.

When you are good at something and you love it, why retire. I have never understood why someone in their twenties would contemplate retirement....

I think sometimes people develop other interests in life. An activity that appeals to you as a child, even if you are good at it -- I think there comes a point at which you say, been there, done that, what else is out there?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Michelle will stay in. :cool:

I think you are right. She just announced it as she was riding in the "Quest for the Best" float in the Tournament of Roses Parade today:laugh: By the way she looked fabulous and that is no joke!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Evan and Johnny will certainly retire no matter what happens at the olympics along with Tanith and Ben. I would expect Inoue and Baldwin and Alissa to also call to quits. If Yu-na wins in Vancouver, I think she will retire. If not I see her staying around as long as she is healthy. Mao will stay around. If S&S win, which I don't really see happening right now they will probably retire. Plushenko is only interested in the olympics. Domina and Shabalin will retire due to injury even if they don't win.

Ivana

On the Ice
I think in men's Weir, Lysacek, Plushenko, Lambiel and maybe also Joubert and Takahashi will retire, either right after Olympics or pretty soon when their body decides that enough is enough. Berntsson will retire also, I think he talked about it in some interview, but I might be mistaken.

In ladies it will depend on the placements (Kim & Asada), but I expect Sebestyen, Ando, Suguri, Nakano and maybe also Kostner to retire this year. Oh and also Cohen, if she ever comes back.

In pairs anything can happen. I can see Savchenko & Szolkowy and also Shen & Zhao staying, but also retiring, it will depend on placements. Volosozhar & Morozov will retire and maybe also Kavaguti & Smirnov, although with Yuko you never know, she was waiting for a partner like Alexander for a long time, so they might try to climb the rankings after Olympics.

In ice dance Domnina & Shabalin will retire just after Olympics, I can't see him skateing too much longer with his knees. Belbin & Agosto, Kerrs and maybe also Faiella & Scali will retire after this season too. Maybe also Khokhlova & Novitski will follow them this season, or after the next one, but I don't think they'll be competing at another Olympics.

Figure88

On the Ice
I have NEVER heard of Yuna mention any kind of thoughts about retiring in ANY of her interviews, so I'm wondering why she's ALWAYs on the top of list of ice skaters thinking of retirement. Maybe a little wishful thinking on the part of her competitors? Not to mention that she's the only skater listed who's in her/his late teens, while the other skaters listed have already reached their peak in their twenties. She's worked extremely hard all her life to reach the point she's at now, so I really doubt Yuna will throw her career away by retiring early. Consider also that even when she was at very low points in her career suffering from injuries (and dealing with extreme pain while skating), she still chose to compete. Now, that she's enjoying such success and attention, why should she leave the sport? also, like Kwan, Witt and other legendary skaters, she would probably want to leave some legacy in the sport, and that won't really happen with an early retirement. I don't see her retiring unless she is seriously injured like in the case of Lambiel and can no longer continue skating.

Last edited:

figurejennah

On the Ice
I have NEVER heard of Yuna mention any kind of thoughts about retiring in ANY of her interviews, so I'm wondering why she's ALWAYs on the top of list of ice skaters thinking of retirement. Maybe a little wishful thinking on the part of her competitors? Not to mention that she's the only skater listed who's in her/his late teens, while the other skaters listed have already reached their peak in their twenties. She's worked extremely hard all her life to reach the point she's at now, so I really doubt Yuna will throw her career away by retiring early. Consider also that even when she was at very low points in her career suffering from injuries (and dealing with extreme pain while skating), she still chose to compete. Now, that she's enjoying such success and attention, why should she leave the sport? also, like Kwan, Witt and other legendary skaters, she would probably want to leave some legacy in the sport, and that won't really happen with an early retirement. I don't see her retiring unless she is seriously injured like in the case of Lambiel and can no longer continue skating.

:clap: Unless she has injury issues, I don't see why she would retire especially right after this season. Yuna can't live a "normal" life anyway even if she retired.

Last edited: