How will Airport Security Affect Athlete's Travel to the Olympics? | Golden Skate

How will Airport Security Affect Athlete's Travel to the Olympics?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
As I watched how all the drama unfolded at our International Airport here in Vancouver during the latest terrorist takedown, it crossed my mind how things will run here in Vancouver during the Olympics. Also, I wonder how the skaters will find travelling here from other countries - especially flights from the States. Vancouver Airport even had a computer glitch which caused all kinds of delays and chaos. One would hate to think a skater or athlete would miss an event because they could not clear customs in time. I hope things run smoothly for them.

i love to skate

Medalist
Athletes begin to arrive well before the actual date of their event so there won't be athletes unable to compete due to travel delays. I think by the time the Olympics roll around things will have calmed down a bit but there will still be extra security measures - especially for International flights I would think. Even in Canada they are saying it is going to take an extremely long time to make it through security at the airports - so arrive early!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I just traveled to the States and back over the holidays. Security coming into Canada hasn't changed much, it's going into the States that takes forever.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
considering the recent events over Christmas it doesn't surprise me that security is a big deal in the states.

that being said - considering all of the terroristic happenings surrounding past olympics I hope Canadian airports/authorities/security make the proper precautions... we don't need another tragedy at an olympic games.

i love to skate

Medalist
considering the recent events over Christmas it doesn't surprise me that security is a big deal in the states.

that being said - considering all of the terroristic happenings surrounding past olympics I hope Canadian airports/authorities/security make the proper precautions... we don't need another tragedy at an olympic games.

I know someone who was flying out to Vancouver from another Canadian city for Christmas and she happened to be there at the aiport on the day they were doing the "Olympic Reherseal" it took her over an hour to get through security because it was so thorough! I wouldn't be surprised if the rules that the US has put in place are the same for those coming to Van. ie. no carry-ons, etc.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no carryons? is that for international flights?

and it's good to know they're rehearsing these things NOW...I don't think you can ever be TOO careful.

i love to skate

Medalist
no carryons? is that for international flights?

and it's good to know they're rehearsing these things NOW...I don't think you can ever be TOO careful.

Well you can't take a carry on from Canada if you are flying to the US - unless it's a small purse, small diaper bag, etc. It has to be a certain kind of bag too - I don't think you can take a back pack. I don't know about international flights.

futureidol

On the Ice
It stinks that the medalists in the Men's and Pair's events will have to travel home, and then travel back to Canada for the Gala and Olympic Send-Off. Especially for east coast skaters... The USFSC schedule this year is beyond screwed up.

i love to skate

Medalist
It stinks that the medalists in the Men's and Pair's events will have to travel home, and then travel back to Canada for the Gala and Olympic Send-Off. Especially for east coast skaters... The USFSC schedule this year is beyond screwed up.

Which event are you talking about? :scratch:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
US Figure Skating championships this year has the most screwed up schedule ever. The Ladies & dance are scheduled so that they can't go to 4CC's even if you qualified.

i love to skate

Medalist
US Figure Skating championships this year has the most screwed up schedule ever. The Ladies & dance are scheduled so that they can't go to 4CC's even if you qualified.

Thanks! I was so confused when the poster said "back to Canada" so I thought they meant during the Olympics. I was going to say - I'm pretty sure they would stay for the entire Olympics :laugh:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, not to put the scare into anyone here, but thought this was a topic worth mentioning. Actually our Olympic committee is busy preparing us here for the influx of tourists and athletes and media who will be flooding into our city streets in a few weeks. Most of us are encouraged to leave our cars at home and commute at different hours if possible. I booked two weeks off work as our parking will be rented out to VANOC as a park and ride.

As for the airport, Vancouver has had some time to prepare for heightened activity and security of course is a top priority. However, that does not mean the unexpected cannot happen. Body scanners are being installed. I think the worse thing that could shut down our airport is the weather - but thanks to an el nino winter that is highly unlikely. Good thing the Olympics are this winter and not last - we had an arctic front and horrific snow storms that pretty much grounded the airport. If you are travelling to Vancouver bring your umbrella!