3 Places for Ladies After Worlds? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

3 Places for Ladies After Worlds?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just for fun, here's a top 11 order that would result in 3 spots for the U.S., Japan, Russia, Finland and Korea.

1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Laura Lepisto
4. Alena Leonova
5. Rachael Flatt
6. Miki Ando (total 8)
7 Ksenia Makarova (total 11)
8. Mirai Nagasu (total 13)
9. Akiko Suzuki
10.Kiira Korpi (total 13)
11.Min-Jung Kwak (total 12)

This is totally for fun. I really doubt that this would actually happen. I'm making a lot of odd picks here. :)

Just for fun, here's a top 11 order that would result in 3 spots for the U.S., Japan, Russia, Finland and Korea.

1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Laura Lepisto
4. Alena Leonova
5. Rachael Flatt
6. Miki Ando (total 8)
9. Akiko Suzuki

This is totally for fun. I really doubt that this would actually happen. I'm making a lot of odd picks here. :)
I like it!!! There will be so many countries eligible for 3 skaters. Why not?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Laura Lepisto
4. Alena Leonova
5. Rachael Flatt
6. Miki Ando (total 8)
9. Akiko Suzuki

Spoilers:
Sarah
Carolina
Cynthia
Elene

Your fun-list could happen, it is not that impossible. But I don't want it to, because it means that Carolina bombs again and that Canada loses one spot.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Laura Lepisto
4. Alena Leonova
5. Rachael Flatt
6. Miki Ando (total 8)
9. Akiko Suzuki

I actually think those names could very well end up in the top 11, I'm just skeptical about the order. I don't really see Laura being 3rd and Alena being 4th, or Miki and Mirai being as far down as 6th and 8th. Something like this could result in 3 spots for US, Japan, Korea, and Russia, but not Finland.

1.) Yu Na Kim
2.) Mao Asada
3.) Mirai Nagasu
4.) Miki Ando (total 6)
5.) Rachael Flatt (total 8)
6.) Alena Leonova
7.) Ksenia Makarova (total 13)
8.) Laura Lepisto
9.) Akiko Suzuki
10.) Elene Gedevanishvilli/Sarah Meier/Carolina Kostner
11.) Kiira Korpi
12.) Min-Jung Kwak (total 13)

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I actually think those names could very well end up in the top 11, I'm just skeptical about the order. I don't really see Laura being 3rd and Alena being 4th, or Miki and Mirai being as far down as 6th and 8th. Something like this could result in 3 spots for US, Japan, Korea, and Russia, but not Finland.

1.) Yu Na Kim
2.) Mao Asada
3.) Mirai Nagasu
4.) Miki Ando (total 6)
5.) Rachael Flatt (total 8)
6.) Alena Leonova
7.) Ksenia Makarova (total 13)
8.) Laura Lepisto
9.) Akiko Suzuki
10.) Elene Gedevanishvilli/Sarah Meier/Carolina Kostner
11.) Kiira Korpi
12.) Min-Jung Kwak (total 13)

Unless Laura and Akiko bombs, I don't think they will be placed below both the Russian girls. They will probably be in 5th to 7th range. Makarova is more polish than Lenova, but the judges will not reward her with PCS.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Unless Laura and Akiko bombs, I don't think they will be placed below both the Russian girls. They will probably be in 5th to 7th range. Makarova is more polish than Lenova, but the judges will not reward her with PCS.

Akiko doesn't get great PCS either though, and has an easier SP which she tends to make mistakes in. Laura if she performs like she did at Euros I think could be 8th. I actually think Russia getting 3 spots is a bit of a longshot realistically though. I'd say of the 5 nations potentially in contention for 3 spots the order from most likely to least likely is: Japan, USA, Korea, Russia, Finland.

I think the result will be:

1.) Yu Na Kim
2.) Mao Asada
3.) Miki Ando
4.) Mirai Nagasu
5.) Rachael Flatt
6.) Laura Lepisto
7.) Akiko Suzuki
8.) Alena Leonova
9.) Ksenia Makarova
10.) Cynthia Phanuef
11.) Min-Jung Kwak
12.) Sarah Meier

I hope Mirai medals but I feel like Miki will be determined to do really well here and it seems like Mirai has already had the SOHL at both nationals and the Olympics so we shall see. Rachael I think will be a bit higher than at the Olympics but not enough for the podium, Laura won't be quite as good at the Olympics but good enough to hang onto 6th, Akiko will make a mistake or two in the SP and come back strong in the LP, but still get hurt a bit by PCS, Alena and Ksenia will do well and land most of their jumps but still be a bit sloppy, Cynthia will be solid and land most of her jumps, and Min-Jung I think will land all her jumps and get her PCS a little higher to edge out the inconsistent Europeans like Kiira, Carolina, and Elene who I think will skate poorly again.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
I don't really see Laura being 3rd and Alena being 4th, or Miki and Mirai being as far down as 6th and 8th. Something like this could result in 3 spots for US, Japan, Korea, and Russia, but not Finland.

Do you have something against Finland? ;)

These predictions are quite interesting. But I think you put Kwak way too high. Yes, she is a very good jumper but she is very immature and lacks lots of artistry. Good jumps won't get her to 12th place, I think.

I think Miki's both programs are awful, especially the Requiem. Same thing with Asada. If they both had programs that fits them better, they would get better results.

I saw Myriane Samson in Finlandia Trophy last October. She was very classy and had a good style of skating. With good programs she can be a spoiler to places 8-13. Here's her FS from last October: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm58YdEtdvA

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Do you have something against Finland? ;)

These predictions are quite interesting. But I think you put Kwak way too high. Yes, she is a very good jumper but she is very immature and lacks lots of artistry. Good jumps won't get her to 12th place, I think.

I think Miki's both programs are awful, especially the Requiem. Same thing with Asada. If they both had programs that fits them better, they would get better results.

I saw Myriane Samson in Finlandia Trophy last October. She was very classy and had a good style of skating. With good programs she can be a spoiler to places 8-13. Here's her FS from last October: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm58YdEtdvA

I don't have anything against Finland I just don't think their placements will add up to 13 or less just considering the technical difficulty of Laura and Kiira's programs and their tendencies to pop and double jumps. If Laura podiums then it could potentially happen, but Kiira I think will either be just in or just out of the top 10.

Kwak's skating got her 13th place at the Olympics and she had a few mistakes, so I figure with no Joannie 12th place is quite plausible if she skates well. Her PCS will also likely be a bit higher here because they increased between 4CC and the Olympics. Also if you take her score from either 4CC or the Olympics, both would put her in 12th place right behind Alissa Czisny at last years worlds results. Plus she's been working with Orser so he might've been able to help her out a bit :agree:.

I don't like Miki's programs either but the judges normally give her good scores and if Nagasu and Flatt get dinged for URs Miki will likely be above them.

Samson I don't think will crack the top 10, I don't even think Cynthia will and Cynthia is a better skater than Samson, who also has little international reputation.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For some perspective, the last time each country had three spots
Japan: 2010
US: 2008
Russia: 2006
Finland: Never (Several skaters including skated well enough to earn two spots, but didn't always use both spots. The first time they had two skaters compete in 2006 with Kiira and Laura.)
South Korea: Never (It earned two spots with Yuna's bronze in 2007)

Layfan

Record Breaker

1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Mao Asada
3. Laura Lepisto
4. Alena Leonova
5. Rachael Flatt
6. Miki Ando (total 8)
9. Akiko Suzuki

Interesting to consider. Thanks! I think it would take serious weirdness from Akiko, Miki, Flatt and Mirai for Alena to finish ahead of all four of them, but you never know!

I always think Laura has a good outside shot of medaling, if only because the judges seem to like her.

But there is no Joannie on this list. Is it for sure that she is not competing at worlds?

Layfan

Record Breaker
I don't have anything against Finland I just don't think their placements will add up to 13 or less just considering the technical difficulty of Laura and Kiira's programs and their tendencies to pop and double jumps. If Laura podiums then it could potentially happen, but Kiira I think will either be just in or just out of the top 10.

Kwak's skating got her 13th place at the Olympics and she had a few mistakes, so I figure with no Joannie 12th place is quite plausible if she skates well. Her PCS will also likely be a bit higher here because they increased between 4CC and the Olympics. Also if you take her score from either 4CC or the Olympics, both would put her in 12th place right behind Alissa Czisny at last years worlds results. Plus she's been working with Orser so he might've been able to help her out a bit :agree:.

I don't like Miki's programs either but the judges normally give her good scores and if Nagasu and Flatt get dinged for URs Miki will likely be above them.

Samson I don't think will crack the top 10, I don't even think Cynthia will and Cynthia is a better skater than Samson, who also has little international reputation.

argh!! It would be SO frustrating if Rachael and Mirai are clean but miss the combined 13 because of UR calls.