Scrapping 4CC and Creating Two Seperate Events? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Scrapping 4CC and Creating Two Seperate Events?

MagicFairy

On the Ice
Not if they kept the 3-skater maximum for each discipline in place. If there were a total of 30 entries available, then those 4 countries would use only 12 spots, leaving 18 available for others.

And why should be 30 the maximum number of entries for worlds? This would be the best way to ruin figure skating, because every smaller federation like Monaco or Andorra will never send skaters to worlds, this means NO feedback and NO fans from this country!! I think the short program is enough "qualifying" at worlds and it´s a good sign that there participate more and more skaters from year to year at the world championships!

The Olympics are for BEST skaters in the world (maximum number of entries), but world championships are for EVERY skater in the world! (no maximum)

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is no "30 maximum skaters" rule for Worlds or any other ISU Championship. 53 ladies competed in the SP at 2009 Worlds, and 43 ladies are competing in the SP at 2010 Euros.

There is, however, a new rule limiting the ISU Championship singles FS to just 20 skaters (down from 24).

i love to skate

Medalist
I think that was actually my suggestion (just want some credit where credit is due) :)

I didn't see you discussing this with us earlier - so I was not trying to "steal" your idea. When did you suggest it??

I first suggested it back on January 5th, 2010 as shown below - this was in the Yu-Na/Hersh Thread:
4CC will never be like Europeans. The set up for the competition is all wrong as it includes a 14 hr flight for a number of skaters each year. At least with Europeans, the countries are fairly close together and travel isn't much of an issue. I think many skaters see 4CC as unnecessary and resutls in more travel into their already busy schedules.

What would make more sense, to me at least, would be to have a Pacific Championship and a North American Championship.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sounds good on paper. Not sure of its practicality though.

The problem isn't the championship or the travel. It's the timing of the Nationals in many of the member countries. If the US and Canada moved their Nationals to December it might be more feasible. Or, if 4CC/Euros was moved to late Feb (in non-Oly years) or early March, and the World Championships pushed back to April (1st or 2nd week). If you want a team event, Worlds could be extended to accomodate a team event (rather than making it a separate deal). Just food for thought, that's all.

i love to skate

Medalist
Sounds good on paper. Not sure of its practicality though.

The problem isn't the championship or the travel. It's the timing of the Nationals in many of the member countries. If the US and Canada moved their Nationals to December it might be more feasible. Or, if 4CC/Euros was moved to late Feb (in non-Oly years) or early March, and the World Championships pushed back to April (1st or 2nd week). If you want a team event, Worlds could be extended to accomodate a team event (rather than making it a separate deal). Just food for thought, that's all.

Good points. The schedule is already jam packed enough so I don't think Nationals are going to be moved around. Having Worlds in April would create a very long season. Four Contintents has been in existence for quite some time now - and it has failed to garner any attention or prestige. I remember back in 2007 when it was in Colorado Springs there was virtually no one in the stands.

I think it would be in the best interests of the ISU to get rid of it and make two seperate competitions or else scrap it and put more emphasis on the World Team Trophy. I can't imagine 4CC brings in much revenue anyways!

MagicFairy

On the Ice
There is no "30 maximum skaters" rule for Worlds or any other ISU Championship. 53 ladies competed in the SP at 2009 Worlds, and 43 ladies are competing in the SP at 2010 Euros.

There is, however, a new rule limiting the ISU Championship singles FS to just 20 skaters (down from 24).

Yes, i know, and that is good! :) I meant the idea from RUKen.

Sorry, if i have misunderstood anything :rolleye:

RUKen

Rinkside
And why should be 30 the maximum number of entries for worlds? This would be the best way to ruin figure skating, because every smaller federation like Monaco or Andorra will never send skaters to worlds, this means NO feedback and NO fans from this country!!

I chose 30 because this was the number of skaters that used to qualify for the short program when the ISU had a qualifying round at Worlds. I could have chosen 24, or 36, or any random number; the point was that the competition would not be limited to just 4 countries as long as the ISU continues to limit these federations to no more than 3 skaters per discipline. IMO the 3-skater limit is a greater detriment to having a true World Championship than having a qualifier that might eliminate tiny countries whose best skater might be competitive only with novice skaters in the more developed skating countries. From a practical standpoint, the ISU will not suffer much because of a lack of feedback and a lack of fan support from these small countries, any more than it suffers from the absences of all those countries not yet in the ISU. Very few of the countries without truly competitive skaters have a large fan base.

Because each federation gets one vote in the ISU, I have no expectation that the 3-skater limit will be abolished, or that the federations will agree to a qualifying system for Worlds. I just think it would be a better competition if each discipline were contested by the 30 best skaters (or pairs/dance teams), regardless of their country of origin.

sk8rdad

On the Ice
I didn't see you discussing this with us earlier - so I was not trying to "steal" your idea. When did you suggest it??

I first suggested it back on January 5th, 2010 as shown below - this was in the Yu-Na/Hersh Thread:

I appoligize, I posted this exact same suggestion on the ISU board about 1/2 hour before you posted it here in the "Mao Asada and Yuna Kim" thread there. I guess it's not such a far fetched idea after all.