Meryl Davis/Charlie White interview | Golden Skate

Meryl Davis/Charlie White interview

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I meant to ask you before-does Belbin & Agosto's Moldavan OD look Moldavan to you? (You're the first person we've had from Moldava to ask)

life684

Final Flight
I meant to ask you before-does Belbin & Agosto's Moldavan OD look Moldavan to you? (You're the first person we've had from Moldava to ask)

someone had already commented on the cup of china tread

Tanith and Ben made my day....they skate to romanian folklor (OK, it's listed moldavian), but it's from the moldovian side of Romania (my original country):rock:

I am romanian born hungarian. The red boots are specific especially in hungarian folk dances. Not in romanian, but in the far east Transilvania where is a large hungarian community, in the middle of Romania the red boots are used in the traditional folk dances. This piece of music they used is listed on their ISU page as Moldavian, which is the eastern region of Romania. If you are familiar with G. Enescu's music (the most famous romanian composer), there is a section in the Romanian Rapsody nr 1, called "the skylark", you can hear in the last section of their dance.

I was thrilled tro see Ben wearing costume we had to wear when I danced in my kindergarten:love::love:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, Joseph lived there when he was a little boy, but I was thinking more of an adult perspective.

In any case, Vlad, thanks for posting this interview.

Vlad

On the Ice
Doris,Yes,their original dance is Moldavian folk music.This dance is a folk of the Republic of Moldova and Romania too.They dance it perfectly!Really absolutely right choreography for this national music.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you, Vlad. It looked quite authentic to me, too, but all I know about MoldavIan/Romanian dancing I find on youtube, and don't trust my impressions necessarily.

Again, thanks for the D&W interview!

Vlad

On the Ice
Thanks for your good words!One more thing,Belbin/Agosto coach Natalia Linichiuk lived in the former USSR and Moldova(now Republic of Moldova) was a part of the Soviet Union so Natalia knows our folk dances very well.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I had no idea Meryl was working on jumps as difficult as the double Axel as a girl. Considering how young she was when she started working with Charlie as a ice dancer, I am surprised. She probably would have made a good freeskater as well!

UMBS Go Blue

Spectator
First post here - hello everyone! - and couldn't miss a gratuitous opportunity to say GO BLUE! ;)

Yes, Meryl was a good singles skater, and, of course, Charlie was a top singles skater up through the junior level (had all the triples except the axel, IIRC) until just a few years ago. I'd imagine their singles experience has helped build strong basic skating skills that helps them in dance. Further kudos to them for juggling college the last couple of years or so. :)