Domnina/Shabalin's FD performance at Delaware | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Domnina/Shabalin's FD performance at Delaware

KKonas

Medalist
I apoligize if you took any of my comments as unwarrented criticism of Skate Canada officials.

But however knowledgable and well-intentioned they are, they are not immune from making public relations errors. I think this is one.

We are all agreed that the ISU and its member federations know which judge gave which scores. This throws out the window the official explanation for anonymous judging (which Mr. Thompson repeats here) -- that it protects judges from their own federations. Whatever the real reason, anonymous judging gives the appearance that the figure skating establishment has something to hide. Why go out of your way to make yourself look like a shady character?

Exactly. Perception is reality. Just ask the general public (or sportswriters) what they think of figure skating judging? By doing things secretly you are always suspect. IMO anonymous judging serves no good purpose.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Exactly. Perception is reality. Just ask the general public (or sportswriters) what they think of figure skating judging? By doing things secretly you are always suspect. IMO anonymous judging serves no good purpose.

I think I agree that anonymous judging serves "no good purpose."

I think it serves a purpose for ISU though - or why else would they have changed the long tradition of open marks?

The main excuse about protecting judges from their own federations is not only false but sounds ridiculous.

At best it is an admission by Speedy and ISU that figure skating officials and federations are corrupt and that it is more convenient to manipulate scores when necessary by keeping them anonymous. If that fails there is always the tech panel which can overide an honest judging panel.

It is a very clever system.

Big Deal

Final Flight
This very good conversation came up in the thread about Domnina/Shabalin freedance.
I wonder, why, oh, why :rofl:
I really think that, the ISU has to face with that this kind of performance cannot be made an Olympic Gold medal performance. If they can have the level 4's for most of their elements somehow ( the technique, speed and selfconfidence doing it still counts to decide the level!!!), they can win with an inflated scoring, but the ISU cannot have the risk to give 9,0 's or even more for this kind of skill, speed and execution.
The question is, what the judges decides now.... We will see.
We all Do hope to have an honest, fair result based on what we've seen on the ice. In this way nobody will be unhappy, even if Dom/Shab. wins with a fantastic performance with speed, technique, beauty and remarkable , intricate 3 dances to be remembered as OGM programs.
In nowdays circumstances the case of 1994. Dance Oly cannot be repeated without a huge scandals, which should lead the Ice Dancing to be eliminated from the Oly, which would be a huge waste.

Last edited by a moderator:

oxade21

Match Penalty
Exactly. Anonymous judging does not produce better judging. It just hides problems from public scrutiny. Public circuses are good. Sneaking around in the dark alleys is bad.

Power to the people, up the establishment! :laugh: The people may have a right to a secret ballot, but judges do not have a right to conduct secret trials.

You go into the Star Chamber to face the judges in secret...maybe you don't come out again. I am not consoled by the hope that the Emperor might later review the conduct of the judges -- in secret.

I agree with everything Thompson said except this:

Yes, this is the official explanation. But I think the real reason was, as Oxade says, to prevent public circuses like what happened in Salt Lake City.

In other words, the purpose of secrecy is not to prevent wrong-doing but to hide it. (That almost seems like a tautology to me. That's what secrecy means -- hiding something.)

So do the leaders of the powerful national federations. The only people who are in the dark are us.

This is a bad thing. Forget Mr. Pound. Anonymous judging undermines public confidence in the objectivity of the sport.

But the fact that the public decides who deserves or not IS the problem with ice dance. Public will always have preference and its always be polarizing. Also I will say that mostly public is NOT right. Not showing the judges identity immediately does not make them anonymous as people can access that information eventually. It does prevent from having few sets of medals, just in case if one side overpowers the other in its pressure and turning this sport into ancient gladiator fights.