Senior Pairs SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Senior Pairs SP

roemerr

Rinkside
Actually Denney holds a few national titles in roller. She left roller to skate ice before she was old enough to skate at world class level in roller. My daughter used to skate singles in the same division as Caydee in Artistic Roller Skating. I was always very proud when my daughter placed second to Caydee!:love:

gold12345

Medalist
Well it was more than the death spiral. That element is not worth 11 points.

I know... That's why I referred to it as the "main problem". :) Zero points on any element is a killer, especially when it comes on an element that's supposed to be a sure thing.

Yes, reputation seems to garner points for some teams. And Denney and Barrett are just beginning to build theirs. Plus they are learning very quickly. Hence the vast improvements in their PCS scores. Very well deserved in my opinion.

Not trying to be annoying, but if we're looking at this truthfully, their PCS have still been relatively low internationally this season, and their SP score here is very similar to the score they received at Nationals last year. So I haven't really seen a "vast improvement" in PCS. Denney and Barrett have done a great job being their usual consistent selves, but I think their weaknesses hold the PCS side of their score down more so than a lack of "reputation". Sure, PCS can be somewhat reputation based at times, but usually the teams with the best PC will indeed receive the best scores there. D/B's main strength right now is their technical consistency.

roemerr

Rinkside
Not trying to be annoying, but if we're looking at this truthfully, their PCS have still been relatively low internationally this season, and their SP score here is very similar to the score they received at Nationals last year.

Denney and Barrett last year at nationals 61.51 (36.58 TES + 24.93 PCS)
Denney and Barrett this year at nationals 63.01 (35.63 TES + 27.38 PCS)

Maybe "vast" was a little strong, but still an improvement in PCS. I agree that area is their biggest weakness and I also think McLaughlin and Brubaker are a great deal more elegant and smooth. However, I like Denney and Barrett's excitement. It is contagious. Also, don't forget Denney and Barrett placed in the top ten at 2009 worlds above McLaughlin and Brubaker.

Both teams have their strengths and I'll admit I am biased because I remember Caydee roller skating when she was six years old. I really think she has star quality. I also like McLaughlin and Brubaker. They have just been struggling with the pressure for over a year. Here's to wishing all our American teams a great skate in the long. :biggrin:

skatemom1122

Final Flight
I think Denney and Barrett's PCS improvement is significant. For the first time, their PCS soared into the 7s, with a 7.29 on PE vs. M/B who had a 6.25 on PE. This is the first time that D/B have beat M/B both TECHNICALLY AND ARTISTICALLY. I had to say I was surprised M/B's PCS wasn't as high or higher, but maybe the judges are trying to send them a message.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think a message was trying to be sent to M/B. I think their scores were reflective of the performance they delivered last night. Aside from the major errors last night, they also had a couple of trip ups on steps and out of sync spins . . . these are small details that add up in deductions when they're not done well, as M/B showed last night.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sure, PCS can be somewhat reputation based at times, but usually the teams with the best PC will indeed receive the best scores there. D/B's main strength right now is their technical consistency.

agreed, as much as I love Caydee and Jeremy they have GOT to start relating mroe to each other and the music...

Jeremy actually smiled during the program, though, last night. So right there that's an improvement, normally he's too focussed on the elements!

gold12345

Medalist
I don't think a message was trying to be sent to M/B. I think their scores were reflective of the performance they delivered last night. Aside from the major errors last night, they also had a couple of trip ups on steps and out of sync spins . . . these are small details that add up in deductions when they're not done well, as M/B showed last night.

Exactly. They had many mistakes, and the PCS were a bit lower than the leaders who went completely clean. Perfectly understandable that the leaders would have a higher score in performance/execution.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I really thought Keanua and Rockne were going to own this event. This is so sad. I can't imagine their LP which has not been that strong all season coming through for them, and even if they did skate clean, making the team is still a long shot.

I agree with Nadine that Keauna certainly has grown up. While she looks just beautiful, she is a lot taller and more shapely than she was two years ago (and her jumps were not that strong then either). I can see why they moved the Nicks who has experience coaching a pairs team without a big height difference in Tai and Randy but I just don't see this working for much longer. Some girls just never adjust to their new body (like Kimmie) and it is even harder in pairs.

Now if we could just get Rena Inoue and Rockne Brubaker together.....

gold12345

Medalist
I really thought Keanua and Rockne were going to own this event. This is so sad. I can't imagine their LP which has not been that strong all season coming through for them, and even if they did skate clean, making the team is still a long shot.

I agree with Nadine that Keauna certainly has grown up. While she looks just beautiful, she is a lot taller and more shapely than she was two years ago (and her jumps were not that strong then either). I can see why they moved the Nicks who has experience coaching a pairs team without a big height difference in Tai and Randy but I just don't see this working for much longer. Some girls just never adjust to their new body (like Kimmie) and it is even harder in pairs.

Now if we could just get Rena Inoue and Rockne Brubaker together.....

lol, I don't think the height difference is a big deal. Keauna is probably 5'0, 5'1"... Not tall, and I don't think that's going to be a problem with her jumps.....A team like Shen & Zhao don't have a huge height difference either. Also, I think a clean skate with get them into the top 2 no problem. However, I am not expecting them to skate clean, so it's going to be iffy. They just need to do well and see what happens.