Senior Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Senior Free Dance

mishieru07

On the Ice
Final Flight!!!

Go Ralph/ Hill, Weaver/ Poje and Virtue/ Moir!!

It's a real shame that Canada can't send 3 teams. :cry: I really like all three of W/P, C/P and V/M.

Thank you imaginarypogue for doing the pbp!!!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
No problem

Kharis Ralph / Asher Hill: Marigold//Waltz for Evelyn

Nice rev.rotational lift. Nice stationary lift. Lovely twizzles. Lovely rotational lift. Odd pair spin. Complete delight from start to finish – I had a goofy smile plastered on my face the entire time. Charming skaters, and they kept the joie de vivre percolating throughout.

85.84/170.04/1st

amateur

Final Flight
How utterly charming and classy a FD from Ralph/Hill. Maybe a bit slower toward the end? Great dancers, these 2, real dancers. Last year I thought he overshadowed her, but she's improved. Canada has some fabulous young teams!!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Allie Hann-McCurdy / Michael Coreno: La Strada

Clever combo lift with nice exit. Nice steps. Solid twizzles. Cool spin, if a little slow. Really committing to the lightness. Little stumble, but I might have imagined it. Neat rotational lift. Not quite La Strada (I prefer Takahashi's by far), but a solid skate nonehteless. Marina thought it was very nice, but you know she's just waiting for her big guns to come out (just kidding, folks)

82.67/168.31/2nd - fine with the scores, though they seem a little surprised to have moved down.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Vanessa Crone / Paul Poirier : Nocturne/Bohemian Rhapsody

Good costumes. Glorious combination lift. Beautiful movement that my feed is insisting on chopping. Beauty of the stationary lift. Crone falls halfway through the twizzles (irony moment – PJ mentions you don't know what's coming next). Good straight line lift. Good footwork in diagonal step sequence. Solid pairs spin. Great rotational lift. Beautiful ending. Well, they left the door open (Carol Lane: “It was a nice dream while we had it” - but with a lightness of tone.). There's disappointment there, but they know they're good, that they'll learn from this and grow. She has a great smile, though there's a bit of stone-faced disappointment with him.

89.93/184.70/1st – huge scare there where the scores were recorded as 0 on the thing there. Wow.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje: Phantasia

Love the rotational lift. Stumble on the circ.steps from Poje. Good twizzles. Solid pair spin (don't like the hand action from her. Unecessary). Good combinaiton lift. GORGEOUS curve lift!!! A little slower than at Skate Canada, it feels, but that could just be my feed. This music really works for them. I think they've got it. Now I feel bad for C/P. Kwong talking about the circ.steps stumble – maybe costly (if they didn't complete the circle? I don't recall)

89.61/184.40/2nd – not enough. They're very disappointed. Audience doesn't like it

beabstress

On the Ice
I really like C/P...too bad she fell...ouch...I'd still send them to Vancouver though.

I hope Kaitlyn Weaver wasn't watching and laughing at the fall, the way she did backstage when Lefebvre/Markov had all those troubles in their FD in 2007--troubles which led to Weaver/Poje medaling at Nationals.

figuristka

Medalist
I hope Kaitlyn Weaver wasn't watching and laughing at the fall, the way she did backstage when Lefebvre/Markov had all those troubles in their FD in 2007--troubles which led to Weaver/Poje medaling at Nationals.

Gosh i missed that but if that happened its very disrespectful. I prefered C/P anyway. Still wish ice dance had 3 teams.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Yeah for C/P!

I don't like the "goose lift" change...I prefer the jump exit over the new lift exit...

Last edited:

amateur

Final Flight
Crone fell IMMEDIATELY after PJ Kwong said "the wonderful thing about this team is that you never know what's coming next...".

Crowd seems to have preferred W/P by a lot.. I can support the C/P decsion - thought they were superior in the OD anyway. But mighty close....

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yeah for C/P!

I don't like the "goose lift" change...I prefer the jump over the lift...

Agreed, but I see why they did it, and I still like it.

So what will the scores be? 110?

107.82/221.95 - you know, that's not outrageous for the free dance.

mishieru07

On the Ice
89.61/184.40/2nd – not enough. They're very disappointed. Audience doesn't like it

Oh man. I really like their FD.

To lose an Olympic berth by 0.3 points. Ouch.

ETA: Looking at the protocols, it seems that W/P had a higher base value, but C/P beat them in terms of GoE and thus TES overall. C/P also had the better PCS scores.

figuristka

Medalist
After ladies, iam surprised the ice dance scores were like international scores and not higher as usual in national events.

amateur

Final Flight
V/M: I think the goose lift is much improved with this new exit actually!

The lift and spinny elements were all gorgeous here. The overall program though - while lovely, there is something that is still not quite gelling for me. I hope they can smooth and polish it in a month's time for maximum impact

rain

Record Breaker
Crowd seems to have preferred W/P by a lot.. I can support the C/P decsion - thought they were superior in the OD anyway. But mighty close....

Yeah, I was cheering for C/P. I'm thrilled they are going to the Olympics (wish we could send three teams). I was gutted for them when Vanessa fell - thought it was over, but I think the right decision was made. I too thought they were superior in the OD.

Virtue and Moir were just absolutely perfect, enchanting, enthralling. Watching them skate is just breathtakingly beautiful. I'm pulling for them to win Olympic gold.

happy hollow

Rinkside
Such a shame we can't send 3 ice dance teams...they are sooo close. I do prefer the programs of Crone and Poirier, they seem cleaner, but WOW what a future for Canada in Ice Dance! They are all so young! Loved Ralph and Hill also. I have watched Scott and Tessa for years and they are just impeccable!