Senior Pairs Long Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Senior Pairs Long Program

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I disagree, sending a team that has not delievered on the international stage and that has never gone to worlds, is a mistake. I/B should file a motion objecting to the ruling.

I feel the same way. Despite Keauna's and Rockne's 5th place finish, I think they should've been named to the Olympic team. They have good results internationally and have more potencial on reaching the top 10. Again, this is just my opinion.

roemerr

Rinkside
Why do people still think that Keauna and Rockne have a better chance of a top ten finish? They didn't do it last year, but Caydee and Jeremy did. Sure they had decent scores on the Grand Prix, but their programs had mistakes and how can you compare results from different competitions with different competitors? I feel bad for the team, but I think the committee made a good decision.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I feel the same way. Despite Keauna's and Rockne's 5th place finish, I think they should've been named to the Olympic team. They have good results internationally and have more potencial on reaching the top 10. Again, this is just my opinion.

FINALLY somebody who agrees with me, now only if the USFSA agreed as well, this situation is only going to get worse considering M/B are on all of the ads and coca-cola cans. Big mistake on the USFSA's part.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Olympic team just announced. Order of finish from the event.

Deneey & Barrett
Evora & Ladwig

Thankyou and glad E/L were not denied what they earned on the ice in a fair competition.

Sorry for the others but only two teams can go to Vancouver.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
M/B are on all of the ads and coca-cola cans. Big mistake on the USFSA's part.

well shoot lets save more money, call off the ladies event, send Sasha Cohen and call up Michelle Kwan and have her show and forget the rest. if it's just about the dollar, and who cares about the opportunity... or really placement. It's not like Keanua and Rockne are going to have a top 5 finish any more than Cayde and Jeremy OR Amanda and Mark even with all those can's of cola behind them.

Wicked

Final Flight
Keauna's tears broke my heart. :(

I love Rena and John (guess I'm in the minority!) and I'm sad they don't get to go to Olys. Good for them for landing that throw 3A! However the competition was fair, at least it seemed that way to me, and the top two should go. I'm really happy for E/L. She is so beautiful and lovely to watch skate.

mystichaze

On the Ice
As much as I love Keauna & Rockne I think that the right decision was made. It guts me that they couldn't get it together here at Nationals. Hopefully this will light a fire under them to work harder and get better, they have one of the best American Pairs coaches in their corner. I hope they will get an invitation to compete at Four Continents along with Brooke & Ben. We have three spots for the Pairs event @ Four Continents don't we?

ETA- according to an Icenetwork article John said: "We're not interested in going to that," he said. "We've done so much for U.S. Figure Skating. We've been the top-ranked team internationally for seven years. We're not looking [for Four Continents] as a consolation prize."

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ETA- according to an Icenetwork article John said: "We're not interested in going to that," he said. "We've done so much for U.S. Figure Skating. We've been the top-ranked team internationally for seven years. We're not looking [for Four Continents] as a consolation prize."

and that's the persona that bugs me... as if the USFSA owes him something.

Lissy

Medalist
I am late in watching the NBC broadcast but my favorite moment is of right after Denney/Barrett perform. It is a shot of their coach in tears. I cannot imagine how proud he must feel to have two of his teams in the top two at Nationals and to be on the Olympic team. His tears made me almost cry.

I do not see how anyone can pretend to be surprised at the selection.

The US had two spots in pairs. Denney and Barrett got first and Evora and Ladwig got second. The end.

jovani2293

On the Ice
This pretty much means that the US has to send the top 2 and top 3 to the olympics no matter what the results are.

By the way, John Baldwin is getting a bad rap here. What he actually said about the selection process is given here in gsrossano's article.

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/results_nationals/usnats10.htm

The Olympic selection was order of finish, as most everyone in U.S. Figure skating expected it would be. Some of the media tried to draw the skaters out into controversy about the selection process asking them what they would do (before the decision was announced). Mark Ladwig was a paragon of diplomacy and pointed out the decision is made by a committee, and it would never be just his decision.

Rena and John was more pointed in their comments. John said he felt the Olympic team should be chosen by order of finish. When pressed he said that when it came to making the decision, the judges did so when they judged the event. Rena made a key observation when she added that the Olympic selections should always be order of finish.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
and that's the persona that bugs me... as if the USFSA owes him something.

Well, if his skating didn't cement for some his reason for not being included on the Olympic team, then that poor, sour attitude should serve reason. It's really too bad Rena can't have a better partner. I like her, but absolutely can't stand him. Ugh, that really bothers me! I can't stand people who think they are entitled to special treatment. To me, he has a very unrealistic perspective about how good he is. You should have to earn things fair and square through hard work and by doing your best.

Last edited: