Senior Pairs Long Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Senior Pairs Long Program

This pretty much means that the US has to send the top 2 and top 3 to the olympics no matter what the results are.

Pretty much. They don't have to, and there has been a certain amount of Internet chat about "the committee," but, yeah, pretty much.

The only way we can find out for sure is if Lysacek finishes fourth in men's. :laugh:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
and that's the persona that bugs me... as if the USFSA owes him something.

I read the entire article not just that quote (out of context), and I didn't get the impression he feels he's owed something by USFS. I think he and Rena had likely already decided beforehand that whatever the outcome of Nationals, they weren't interested in 4CC, and I don't blame them. They've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt many times over.

Still unsure about whether they will retire immediately or hold out for a spot at Worlds. I still think that from a US-team standpoint, they would be a good choice along with D/B, to be selected for that. But I could also see being in their shoes, being happy with a great final program at Nationals, and calling it a day on the competitive career.

jovani2293

On the Ice
Pretty much. They don't have to, and there has been a certain amount of Internet chat about "the committee," but, yeah, pretty much.

The only way we can find out for sure is if Lysacek finishes fourth in men's. :laugh:

Yep, pretty much if any of the world medals finish off the podium. We will see.

Well, if his skating didn't cement for some his reason for not being included on the Olympic team, then that poor, sour attitude should serve reason.

As Bigsisjiejie says, if you read the whole article John's comments don't come off that bad. He says that he thinks it is fair that the top two go to the Olympics, that (having finished third) he is not asking for any special consideration, and that he and his partner do not intend to do Four Continents and will probably retire.

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/results_nationals/usnats10.htm I

Last edited:

jovani2293

On the Ice

depends on who bumps him off the podium...

Not really if he is bad in the long and he is beat, he should be out. I/B and M/B made mistakes and they are internationally better then the top 2 and are out why not him?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you read the whole article John's comments don't come off that bad. He says that he thinks it is fair that the top two go to the Olympics, that (having finished third) he is not asking for any special consideration, and that he and his partner do not intend to do Four Continents and will probable retire.

Well, if I misunderstood the context of his comments, then I apologize, but I think there have been other media instances where Baldwin has shown a poor attitude, and that's really too bad. He really needs to learn to be a better sport!

janetfan

Match Penalty
If you read the whole article John's comments don't come off that bad. He says that he thinks it is fair that the top two go to the Olympics, that (having finished third) he is not asking for any special consideration, and that he and his partner do not intend to do Four Continents and will probable retire.

We could also cut him some slack if he did say something.....
It was close, they skated very well and it must be terribly disappointing to come as close as they did.

But I don't think any of the skaters are gonna be surprised when the order of finish is used. They know the deal and it has been like this forever.

Like Toni said, "it's tradition." It's Nationals :yes: :rock:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Just peaking around and it seems like an unknown (instead of Inoue/Baldwin), is going to Olys? This might have implications for the rest of the event- like someone else said earlier, top 2 (or 3) go to Olys no matter what. For the ladies, this is especially big since there are potentially 6 that can do it. Bring on next weekend :yes:

jovani2293

On the Ice
Just peaking around and it seems like an unknown (instead of Inoue/Baldwin), is going to Olys? This might have implications for the rest of the event- like someone else said earlier, top 2 (or 3) go to Olys no matter what. For the ladies, this is especially big since there are potentially 6 that can do it. Bring on next weekend :yes:

Thanx.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sorry there's so much negative opinion about John. The comments in the context of the whole article sound like he wholeheartedly agreed with the selection, but he and Rena aren't interested in 4CC. Many, many top skaters aren't. I/B's career has been so long, and if they want a good LP at Nats to be their final competitive farewell, I can certainly understand that.

John won tons of respect from me by standing by and behind and trying to help Christopher Bowman in so many ways over all those years. Also, I just have so much respect for John's (and Rena's) longevity in the sport and for being solid international competitors for so long.

Just peaking around and it seems like an unknown (instead of Inoue/Baldwin), is going to Olys?

I wouldn't exaclty say unknown. Evora and Ladwig competed at the 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 U.S. championships, finishing fourth twice. This season they competed in the Grand Prix at Cup of China (7th) and Skate America (6th).

There is a lot of information about them at Heather C.'s site (click on the pictures on the on the left for the menu.

Here is Amanda :yes: if you want to start a new page in your photo collection.

http://www.evora-ladwig.com/assets/amanda_biographyname.jpg

emma

Record Breaker
I say a hearty congrats to the medalists - all of them!!!

I think it's a great competition when it is so close and also so fraught with emotion. I have nothing but the highest and deepest respect for John and Rena and this must hurt a bit. I hope that - if they are looking for closure in competition - they find it, and If not that they feel proud of their LP today. I didn't see the shorts...but I guess they factor in here too somehow.

gocaroline

On the Ice
:agree::agree::agree:
well shoot lets save more money, call off the ladies event, send Sasha Cohen and call up Michelle Kwan and have her show and forget the rest. if it's just about the dollar, and who cares about the opportunity... or really placement. It's not like Keanua and Rockne are going to have a top 5 finish any more than Cayde and Jeremy OR Amanda and Mark even with all those can's of cola behind them.
well said! This is sport after all. I am glad USFSA made the right decision.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow. Anything can happen. I am so happy that this nationals is really being judged by what happens on the ice and not by reputation of the skaters. that is so refreshing.

Keanua and Rockne. They wanted it so bad. Great fight and they finally got through it on their feet but they had to be perfect it they wanted any shot. They skated with emotion and with spirit. But after the short really nothing could have been enough. I just feel so bad for them.

John and Rena. Stupid John doubling the first sbs jump. Dosen't he know that you have to GO FOR IT. Rean did and she landed the triple axel throw. I almost wish they would retire here and leave the ice with that great skate. It was really strong for them, she is amazing with those throws.

Denney and Barrett. So much better than last year and even earlier this year. Perfect program. When was the last time we had a perfect program win nationals in pairs? I think Spokane in 2007! It was magical watching them....one of those cheer moments we were talking about on that other thread.

Evora and Ladwig. I had no idea, and neither did they, i think as I watched they would make the team. I have really liked them for a few years, they make such a nice picture on the ice and she has beautiful positions in the lifts...i love all the little dance lifts. So happy for them. I don't think she could believe it when they realized they would make the team.

All in all, great event. Nice to see fair judging and skaters really going for it and skating with fire, passion and emotion.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wouldn't exaclty say unknown. Evora and Ladwig competed at the 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 U.S. championships, finishing fourth twice. This season they competed in the Grand Prix at Cup of China (7th) and Skate America (6th).

There is a lot of information about them at Heather C.'s site (click on the pictures on the on the left for the menu.

Here is Amanda :yes: if you want to start a new page in your photo collection.

http://www.evora-ladwig.com/assets/amanda_biographyname.jpg

Thanks for the background (and the pic ;) ) I knew of Inoue/Baldwin (they were at '06 Olys) and Mclaughlin/Brubaker (I'm really surprised they couldn't pull it together at Nats...again, looking to the ladies' event, means ANYTHING can happen). I vaguely remember Denny/Barrett from last year's Nats.

Congrats to the future Olympians.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Has anyone read this article? There are so many incorrect statements!!

1) Brooke Castile and Benjamin Okolski - Overall Total 169.95
The 2007 National Champions didn’t execute their side-by-side jumps as planned and had a step out on the throw triple flip. But very nice throw triple salchow and beautiful lifts.
They opened with beautiful SBS 3Sal - a jump that has been their nemesis.

2) Rena Inoue and John Baldwin - Overall Total 173.18
The Torino Olympians opened their free skate with shaky side-by-side triple toes as Baldwin two footed his.
John only did a double, he did not two-foot.

3) And this does not make since: 2006 Olympians Rena Inoue and John Baldwin finished third at Nationals, but missed the Olympic team. Following the event, they expressed displeasure in the selection procedures saying “The top two teams here should go, otherwise, why have U.S. nationals?" This would make sense if I/B had finished second, but were not picked for the team.

Really horrible reporting. :frown2: :disapp: :sheesh: :confused:

london_calling

On the Ice
Wow, I am so shocked with they way the event turned out but so thrilled. My dream team was Denney & Barrett and Evora & Ladwig but never did I think that they would both make it. What an awesome experience Vancouver will be for them.